PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Hi Ho, What Did I Miss, and Thoughts on Non-Magic Fighters

Phelix-Mu
2015-04-01, 08:40 PM
Back after a bit of an absence, and I am just too lazy to trawl through 4+ months of threads. Has anything momentous happened around this subforum? Just curious.

But now, the main course to keep this on-topic: De-Mystifying Magic Weapons

Alright, I don't mind a good magic sword or two, but much has been made in many locations about mundanes' reliance, and over-reliance, on gear to get provide the right tools for the job. While I am not going to tackle miscellaneous gear, I have been thinking about making all of the currently magical stuff related to weapons (and perhaps armour) into class features of mundane classes.

So how would this work? Still very nebulous, but I want to make it so that the fighter isn't boned if her sword breaks or is stolen/disenchanted/whatever. Also want to try to level the effective budgets necessary to function between mundane classes and spellcasters.

So some of the effects might remain magical, but I am feeling that a nice boost for mundanes would be for them to be able to pick up any example of a weapon and wield it like an expert (in other words it would work like a +5 sword, but it's actually just a normal sword wielded by a master warrior).

Obviously very WIP here, but what are your thoughts? I am sure this isn't original; has anyone homebrewed something along these lines? A similar thing could be done with defensive items perhaps.

Anyway, nice to be back and hope you all have been well in my absence.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-04-01, 08:44 PM
I got linked to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16949396&postcount=15) yesterday. It's similar to what you're looking for. Maybe it'll give you somewhere to start?

Phelix-Mu
2015-04-01, 08:50 PM
Oh nice. I actually could use some of that in a 25-30+ level campaign that I need to finish running for my friends some day. I already extrapolated it a bit, and am not sure how the op level of the link and my campaign compare just yet, but I am not above poaching ideas from someone else' hard work.:smalltongue:

Grod_The_Giant
2015-04-02, 09:00 AM
I wrote this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?357810-Chopping-Down-the-Christmas-Tree-Low-Magic-Item-Rules) a while back. Basically, you get the requisite numerical bonuses as you level up, along with a selection of explicitly-magical feats.

Phelix-Mu
2015-04-02, 12:20 PM
I wrote this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?357810-Chopping-Down-the-Christmas-Tree-Low-Magic-Item-Rules) a while back. Basically, you get the requisite numerical bonuses as you level up, along with a selection of explicitly-magical feats.

Nice, might have to poach some of that. I would probably implement this only for mundanes in the context of a normal level of magic, under the theory that magic > mundane in the RAW, and that I am personally not opposed to non-magical, but unrealistic, stuff. Like a fighter that can cut off your head with a kitchen knife at high level (by imbuing the kitchen knife with non-magical ability equivalent to a vorpal knife).

Or something like that. Still working on the theory here. Thanks for the links so far.