PDA

View Full Version : Mean Warlock

SolkaTruesilver
2007-04-12, 10:34 PM
Ok, here are the postulates:

- In my game, I need a powerful NPC opponent class

- I love Warlock flavour/powers

- Warlocks are weak, but it is counter-balanced by the fact that they have unlimited use of their powers.

Problems: I want to increase the power of the Warlock to make it fit a good NPC class. Off course, they still will be able to use their power in an unlimited way, but since PCs will only meet them for a short time, it's not important for them to be unlimited.

I need them to be POWERFUL

I don't care if 1 Warlock actually overpower any other class of the same level (but not required). They will be the "Great Ennemy", and PCs will have to work as a team to beat them.

However, while increasing their power, I them to keep their signature Eldritch Blast, their invocations, regenerative power and Multi-magic item usage (PCs will always be quite rewarded in magic item for beating one. Any PC, not just the wizards, or clerics.. etc...)

Innis Cabal
2007-04-12, 10:39 PM
well i made an item that could really screw them up...

Gauntlets of Eldritch Devastation
These wicked gauntlets are made of cold iron to appear as the lower arm of a devil or other foul denizen of the lower planes with wicked claws, barbs or spikes, heavy bands like manacles, and a nasty implement right below the wearers elbow joint. These gauntlets, once attached pierce the lower arm of the wearer below the elbow and tap into his blood. This process deals 2 points of con damage that can not be restored until the gauntlets are removed. While on the wearers forearms, the pieces of magical iron deep within the owner’s blood aid their power to his or her Eldritch Blast, changing its base damage by one die (example, an eldritch blast affected by the gauntlets of eldritch devastation deal d8’s instead of d6’s).
Strong Evocation, CL 14th; Craft Wondrous Items, claws of darkness, bestow curse, eagles splendor
Price 45,000 gp, Weight 10 pounds

that will make them a little more lethal at least, other then that use short term abilities that will make combat a little more interesting

SolkaTruesilver
2007-04-12, 10:42 PM
I was maybe think in term of:

"Eldritch Blast deal 1d6/level"

and maybe the Warlock can mixt 2 essences in a single blast..?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-12, 10:44 PM
i do think they can, though the damage might not be a good idea

Icewalker
2007-04-13, 01:34 AM
I'm going to add a warlock character as a villain to my campaign at some point, and I basically just planned to make it higher level and have a powerful amulet with two powers:
have more modifications available
use more than one on one eldritch blast.

Just seeing one of those "hit everyone in 20 ft" ones, plus level draining. hehehe

SolkaTruesilver
2007-04-13, 07:34 AM
*You heard the screams into the night, coming from the other side of the village, you run over there, but find only shaterred bodies of the guards.

[Spot check 17] You finally manage to see a man floating 30 feets over the ground, 150 feets away. He wave his arm toward a house, and you see a beam flowing from him, crushing the house's windows. He then notice you [point the party's fighter], and with a smile, wave a you.

[roll dices] You are hit for 16 damage, make a reflex save to avoid being knocked back.*

If I manage to make them terrifying to the PCs, it would be great. At first, the PCs won't dare attack one. Eventually, they'll manage to catch on unprepared, and kill him.

Plus, with the "Flee the scene", or "beguiling influence", or any of those super-flavored-invocation, it's gonna be great. Think of the Warlock enchanting a volley of arrows with the Darkness spell..

Seraph
2007-04-13, 06:36 PM
make it so that:

A) they can eldritch blast as a full action,

and

B) they add Charisma damage to each blast.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-04-13, 10:49 PM
Ohh... full-attack blast? That's mean!

..And perfect! good idea!