PDA

View Full Version : (5e PEACH) The Goliath, Mountain Nomads

Ralcos
2015-04-02, 10:08 AM
This is yet another homebrew race that I designed, transferring the famous (or infamous, your choice) Goliath from 3.5 and 4e as a playable race. I decided to do this because this race is one of my favorites.

Hopefully you like!

Opinions/Tips/Criticisms/Death Threats are allowed!

The Goliath

A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places.

They are the largest and heaviest of the known races, standing over 7 feet tall and weighing over 300 pounds. Goliaths have blueish-grey skin, which is covered in mottled blue markings; most Goliaths believe that the shape of these markings reflects the destiny of an individual. Male Goliaths are bald, while females have long hair, usually brown, which they grow and braid to a great length. Goliaths generally live in mountainous areas, sometimes in small tribes atop the mountains, sometimes in caves alongside Dwarves.
Despite their relationship to Giants, the two races share a great deal of enmity. Giants often make slaves of Goliaths, on the grounds that Goliaths are tougher than humans, and the Giants do not need to travel as far away from their mountain homes to find them. Goliaths are generally considered to be a rare and isolationist race, but a few are known to leave their tribes for a life of adventuring.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/dnd4/images/d/df/Goliaths_-_Steve_Argyle.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131021225958

Racial Traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, while your Constitution score increases by 2.
Size. Goliaths are a tall people, standing almost 8 feet in height, and weighing in at 400 to 500 pounds on average. You are considered to be medium-sized.
Alignment. Goliaths have nomadic societies, meaning that each clan or tribe can have a multitude of differing outlooks. The Goliaths usually prefer Neutral alignments, with extremes being uncommon.
Age. Despite what many legends and myths paint them to be long-lived, Goliaths have a lifespan similarly to Humans.
Speed. Goliath base walking speed is 30 feet.
Powerful Build. Goliaths may be Medium-sized, but they tower over the vast majority of races. Some say that the blood of giants runs through their veins, while others claim that mountain spirits bless the mountain-dwellers.

As a Goliath, Large Frame gives you the following features:
Can treat Two-Handed and Heavy Weapons as Versatile weapons, adding an extra 1d6 damage when using such weapons with both hands.
Your Strength modifier is always applied to any off-hand attacks. This bonus is doubled if you would get this from other traits/features/abilities.
Proficiency in Constitution OR Strength saving throws, if you do not already have either/or saving throw.
Cannot use normal Light weapons, but treats all Versatile weapons as Light Weapons.

Body Reading. The language of the Goliaths, Gol-Kaa, is a mixed language consisting of both spoken word as well as gestures and body language. Because of this, many Goliaths may misunderstand the intentions of someone from another race.
As a Goliath, you are proficient in the Insight skill.
Acclimated. As a Goliath, you are automatically acclimated to life at high altitude. You never take penalties due to altitude, such as being on a mountain or fighting an aerial battle.
Languages. Goliaths begin knowing, understanding, and are literate in the Common and Gol-Kaa languages.

UPDATE 1: Added Update Log. Updated Formatting of Race.
UPDATE 2: Removed Bonus Hit Points and Resistances.

Ralcos
2015-04-02, 10:09 AM
Reserved for POSSIBLE Goliath PC options (Backgrounds, Feats, Subclasses, Alternate Racial Traits, Racial Weapons, ETC).

Ilorin Lorati
2015-04-02, 11:59 AM
WotC has actually already released Goliath as a race, in the Elemental Evil player companion. You can grab it here. (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/elementalevil_playerscompanion)

Anyways, onto the race: Powerful build is basically a race worth of power all on its own. - the extra damage, "free" proficiency to a save, fairly massive bonuses to both two-handed weapons and dual wielding style. Just these would make Goliath the best melee damage dealer race hands down.

The free proficiency with Insight is fine, but doubling the proficiency bonus will be painful when combined with Rogue/Bard Expertise. Free resistance to one of the major melee weapon damages, with no call out of magic weapons as bypassing, it up there too. The bonus HP is just a cherry on top. They already get 2 bonus points of Constitution, why give even more HP?

You need to seriously ask this question: If you allowed Goliath, what reason would anyone ever have to play another race if they want to melee? I suspect the answer will be "flavor, and nothing else."

Ralcos
2015-04-02, 01:54 PM
WotC has actually already released Goliath as a race, in the Elemental Evil player companion. You can grab it here. (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/elementalevil_playerscompanion)

Anyways, onto the race: Powerful build is basically a race worth of power all on its own. - the extra damage, "free" proficiency to a save, fairly massive bonuses to both two-handed weapons and dual wielding style. Just these would make Goliath the best melee damage dealer race hands down.

The free proficiency with Insight is fine, but doubling the proficiency bonus will be painful when combined with Rogue/Bard Expertise. Free resistance to one of the major melee weapon damages, with no call out of magic weapons as bypassing, it up there too. The bonus HP is just a cherry on top. They already get 2 bonus points of Constitution, why give even more HP?

You need to seriously ask this question: If you allowed Goliath, what reason would anyone ever have to play another race if they want to melee? I suspect the answer will be "flavor, and nothing else."

I didn't know that they already made the Goliath! I need to get that...

Anyhow, I agree with you.
I was just trying to fill the flavor of the race, though I was a bit skeptical about how powerful build would be.
In fact, I was thinking of asking about it.
For the Insight, I'll just allow Proficiency in the skill, without the double proficiency bonus.

Should I remove some things from Powerful Build?

NOTE: I just tried to adapt and balance an earlier version of my 5e Powerful Build (you could check out my Homebrew for Half-Giant, Half-Ogre, and Half-Troll in my Sig for any details).