PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Questions about Nixies

nedz
2015-04-02, 01:40 PM
Hi,
does anyone have a rules reference on Height, Weight and Age categories for Nixies please ?

Thanks

Bronk
2015-04-02, 01:48 PM
Well, they're small...

That's about it. The picture that shows the three monster manual sprites has their sizes all messed up, and there aren't many fey with listed ages.

Thurbane
2015-04-02, 08:05 PM
From the SRD:

A nixie stands about 4 feet tall and weighs about 45 pounds.

For age categories, maybe use the Uldra (Frostburn) or Duskling (MoI) as guidelines?

Bronk
2015-04-03, 06:09 AM
I usually have my fey be ageless, if not immortal, unless stated otherwise. If there's a group of random fey, like nixies or thorns or whatever, most will be normal and youngish seeming, with one or two 'elders'. Are the elders way older than the others? Is their apparent age more a factor of their wisdom and how much attention they've been paying to the rest of the world while the others have been frolicking in a state of innocence? Who knows? It is the mystery of the fey!

I do wish there had been a 3.5 fey handbook though, instead of scattering tidbits throughout the various books and Dragon magazines, at least something to fill in the gaps.

The nixie is a good example of the need for this. You look at it, and it kinda makes sense. Wee fey, breathe water, live in lakes, have both males and females, and live in a community big enough to have to charm people to do their tasks for them! That's more than you normally get for a fey description! Except... what the heck do they do in the winter? They specifically live in a 'temperate aquatic' environment, meaning they live in lakes that freeze over in the winter, but have no cold resistance! Do they all go to the Plane of Faerie in the winter, or do the Seelie and Unseelie Courts send them water blankets in the winter or something? Do they hibernate and turn into nixicles? Craziness.

You have to assume something like that's happening in the forests too, since none of them have cold resistance. The books go out of their way to say that dryad groves are a thing, but come winter, they're the only ones who can retreat into their tree. Maybe everyone else wanders away into planar rifts or mushroomy fey circles, but that defeats the purpose of the dryad having all that protection in the first place.

Anyway, for the life cycle, the only place it ever comes up for fey in general is in the Fey Feature articles on the wizards site, that basically say it's up to the DM.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20040820a

Berenger
2015-04-03, 07:15 AM
Except... what the heck do they do in the winter? They specifically live in a 'temperate aquatic' environment, meaning they live in lakes that freeze over in the winter, but have no cold resistance! Do they all go to the Plane of Faerie in the winter, or do the Seelie and Unseelie Courts send them water blankets in the winter or something? Do they hibernate and turn into nixicles? Craziness.

D&D toads have no cold resistance, either.

A tribe of nixies cuddling and sleeping in some kind of hibernaculum during winter actually sounds cute enough for me. Just make them facultative instead of obligate hibernators to avoid shafting player characters.

atemu1234
2015-04-03, 11:09 AM
D&D toads have no cold resistance, either.

A tribe of nixies cuddling and sleeping in some kind of hibernaculum during winter actually sounds cute enough for me. Just make them facultative instead of obligate hibernators to avoid shafting player characters.

Someone more artistically talented than me will draw that, because it sounds adorable.