PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rise of Tiamat: Where is Xonthal's Tower?

Madfellow
2015-04-02, 02:25 PM
Hey Playground! Quick question.

I'm currently running the Rise of Tiamat campaign. One of the adventures is set in a place called Xonthal's Tower, which is supposed to be situated at the base of a mountain called Hlim. One problem, though: I can't find Mount Hlim on the map in the HotDQ book, or on the Forgotten Realms wiki. Can anybody help me out? Anybody know where this mountain is supposed to be?

Thanks in advance.

Chaosvii7
2015-04-02, 03:08 PM
Hilm isn't the name of a mountain, it's the name of a city near the mountains.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Hilm

Andy G
2015-05-18, 01:48 PM
Hi Madfellow,

I was trying to figure this out too, and I still don't know for sure. But after a lot of Google searching, I found a minor reference to Mount Hlim in a 2e Forgotten Realms sourcebook, The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier (Box Set).

"West of Mount Hlim, near the shores of Highstar Lake, is a pit half full of loose, sharp rubble. An opening cut in its rock walls leads into the Halls of the Hammer, a long-abandoned dwarfhold."
- The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier, Book 1: The Wilderness, Page 64.

Based on this description, it looks like Mount Hlim and Xonthal's Tower are located in one of two places:
1. In the western part of the Greypeak Mountains, south of the town of Llorkh.
OR
2. At the northern tip of the Serpent Hills

Can anyone help narrow this down more?

Hope that helps you and anyone else running Rise of Tiamat!
Happy Gaming!
- Andy G

Andy G
2015-05-18, 01:57 PM
Actually, I found some more info! In Ed Greenwood's Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, there's a picture on page 139 that shows Mount Hlim and Xonthal's Tower in the western part of the Greypeak Mountains, east of The High Moor.

- Andy G

Madfellow
2015-05-18, 02:33 PM
Hi Madfellow,

I was trying to figure this out too, and I still don't know for sure. But after a lot of Google searching, I found a minor reference to Mount Hlim in a 2e Forgotten Realms sourcebook, The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier (Box Set).

Based on this description, it looks like Mount Hlim and Xonthal's Tower are located in one of two places:
1. In the western part of the Greypeak Mountains, south of the town of Llorkh.
OR
2. At the northern tip of the Serpent Hills

Can anyone help narrow this down more?

Hope that helps you and anyone else running Rise of Tiamat!
Happy Gaming!
- Andy G

Actually, I found some more info! In Ed Greenwood's Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, there's a picture on page 139 that shows Mount Hlim and Xonthal's Tower in the western part of the Greypeak Mountains, east of The High Moor.

- Andy G

Thanks. :smallsmile: I also found a reference on the Forgotten Realms Wiki that places it near the Serpent Hills.

Torvald
2016-12-26, 07:49 PM
Hi!

Allright i know am late with this info, but its can help others in the future.

2nd Forgotten Realms Atlas; page 5. coordinates: D; 14

500 miles from Watedeep to east, and 120 miles from Llorkh to south.

sorry for my bad english...

Bye!