PDA

View Full Version : Can you have two attacks of opportunity on the same target, in the same round?

Windrammer
2015-04-02, 03:10 PM
I'm assuming no, but if you can, I have a follow up question...

If you have the hold the line feat, and are using a reach weapon, are you getting two attacks of opportunity on the charging foe?

Although it's technically unnecessary, let's say for simplicity's sake let's say I have the Shorten Grip feat, where I can attack adjacent targets at will with a small penalty.

Do I get an attack of opportunity for them charging into my threatened square, and another for them leaving it?

eggynack
2015-04-02, 03:18 PM
Sure you can. They just need to be coming from different actions. I'm not sure if hold the line would count entering and leaving a square as separate triggers, because leaving multiple squares does not count, but if a character were to, say, get up from prone and cast a spell non-defensively, that'd be two separate AoO's.

Flickerdart
2015-04-02, 03:21 PM
I'm assuming no, but if you can, I have a follow up question...
You CAN get multiple AoOs against an opponent...

If you have the hold the line feat, and are using a reach weapon, are you getting two attacks of opportunity on the charging foe?

Although it's technically unnecessary, let's say for simplicity's sake let's say I have the Shorten Grip feat, where I can attack adjacent targets at will with a small penalty.

Do I get an attack of opportunity for them charging into my threatened square, and another for them leaving it?
But not in this way. You only get one per opponent's movement, regardless of how many sources. But if the opponent charged you and then attempted to grapple you, you'd get two AoOs - one for the movement, one for the grapple.

BowStreetRunner
2015-04-02, 03:27 PM
Several rules come into play here.

First, you may only make one attack of opportunity per round. The most common way around this is the Combat Reflexes feat, which allows additional attacks of opportunity equal to your DEX modifier.
Second, you may only make one attack for a given opportunity. So to make multiple attacks you need multiple opportunities.
Third, moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn't count as more than one opportunity.

So let's take a look at your scenario. Your opponent makes a charge attack. This action does not provoke an attack of opportunity itself. However, in the process of making the charge attack the opponent moves out of at least one square that you threaten. So that provokes an attack. It doesn't matter how many times the opponent moves out of threatened squares during this single charge. Only one attack of opportunity is provoked. Additionally, your opponent enters an area you threaten and you have the hold the line feat. This provokes an attack of opportunity. Again, it wouldn't matter how many squares that you threaten your opponent enters during the charge. Only one attack of opportunity would be provoked.

So in conclusion, assuming Combat Reflexes (with a DEX of 12 or higher) and Hold the Line, you would get a total of two attacks of opportunity in this scenario.

Elder_Basilisk
2015-04-02, 03:39 PM
Yes, you would get two attacks of opportunity (assuming you have combat reflexes and a 12+ dex and so are able to take them). If you had a readied action to set against charge as well, you could really ruin someone's day. (I remember having this happen while playtesting an old Living Greyhawk adventure--a grappling optimized monk charged an NPC who happened to be set up with Steadfast Boots, a longspear, Combat Reflexes, and Hold the Line. If I recall correctly, the monk went from full to unconscious and didn't end up getting his attack. It was a while ago--I don't remember if he was saved by delay death or just good luck).

Several rules come into play here.

First, you may only make one attack of opportunity per round. The most common way around this is the Combat Reflexes feat, which allows additional attacks of opportunity equal to your DEX modifier.
Second, you may only make one attack for a given opportunity. So to make multiple attacks you need multiple opportunities.
Third, moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn't count as more than one opportunity.

So let's take a look at your scenario. Your opponent makes a charge attack. This action does not provoke an attack of opportunity itself. However, in the process of making the charge attack the opponent moves out of at least one square that you threaten. So that provokes an attack. It doesn't matter how many times the opponent moves out of threatened squares during this single charge. Only one attack of opportunity is provoked. Additionally, your opponent enters an area you threaten and you have the hold the line feat. This provokes an attack of opportunity. Again, it wouldn't matter how many squares that you threaten your opponent enters during the charge. Only one attack of opportunity would be provoked.

So in conclusion, assuming Combat Reflexes (with a DEX of 12 or higher) and Hold the Line, you would get a total of two attacks of opportunity in this scenario.

ComaVision
2015-04-02, 03:42 PM
You only get one per opponent's movement, regardless of how many sources.

That's how it works? So you could run circles around a huge monster with Combat Reflexes and you'd only provoke an AoO for the first 5'?

Flickerdart
2015-04-02, 03:46 PM
That's how it works? So you could run circles around a huge monster with Combat Reflexes and you'd only provoke an AoO for the first 5'?
Yes. However, running circles around a huge monster doesn't actually accomplish anything.

ComaVision
2015-04-02, 03:48 PM
Yes. However, running circles around a huge monster doesn't actually accomplish anything.

Nah man, you create a wind vortex by traveling 500' in six seconds around a fire elemental and he gets blown out.

Really though, I had a Spiked Chain Fighter PC in my group and was letting him attack stuff thrice as it ran at him. Thankfully, he's dead so letting the group know the rule won't be as painful.

ksbsnowowl
2015-04-02, 03:51 PM
You only get one per opponent's movement, regardless of how many sources.

Incorrect. You only get one AoO for an opponent moving out of a threatened square, no matter how far he moves. Hold the Line adds 'entering a square you threaten' to the list of things that provoke.

Charge someone with Combat Reflexes (Dex 12+), Hold the Line, and a Longspear, and you provoke 2 AoO's.

Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes an attack of opportunity...

PraxisVetli
2015-04-02, 06:00 PM
I thought there was a feat set in a Dragon magazine that made AoO's do 3 attacks.
One of my players used it ages ago, I'll ask him and pop back in.

Windrammer
2015-04-02, 11:29 PM
* nevermind *

Windrammer
2015-04-02, 11:30 PM
But not in this way. You only get one per opponent's movement, regardless of how many sources.

Can I get a source for that? Not doubting you, but it's good to know so I have a better understanding of the content.

The Insanity
2015-04-03, 12:53 AM
Can I get a source for that? Not doubting you, but it's good to know so I have a better understanding of the content.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm#combatReflexes

Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity
If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.

Windrammer
2015-04-03, 01:04 AM
. Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.

Yeah but it's not just from moving multiple squares that I'd be getting two AoO's - that's to clear up people thinking that they can get multiple of the same attacks of opportunity: that from having an opponent exit a square. I'm not getting two attacks of opportunity for an opponent exiting squares, I'm getting one from them exiting a square and another from them ENTERING that square with a charge. Two different kinds of AoO.

atemu1234
2015-04-03, 10:54 AM
I thought there was a feat set in a Dragon magazine that made AoO's do 3 attacks.
One of my players used it ages ago, I'll ask him and pop back in.

If you can find it, I'm interested.

Alefiend
2015-04-03, 11:14 AM
Nah man, you create a wind vortex by traveling 500' in six seconds around a fire elemental and he gets blown out.

Bad idea. Go look up fire devil on wikipedia and see what happens when rotating air currents meet flames.

PraxisVetli
2015-04-05, 11:03 PM
Ok.
So he said 'DR340 page 87 improved and greater combat reflexes'