PDA

View Full Version : PEACH Some Homebrew Magic Items

FruitOfTheShroom
2015-04-02, 04:33 PM
I'm going to start making some unique loot for my play group, but I would like some feedback on them before giving them out, since I have no experience with 5e at higher levels (right now the party is 5th level, sword and board paladin, druid of the moon, valor bard, blaster warlock. and necromancer wizard)

Most of my magic items require some restrictive attunement, and have a severe drawback.
---
One's that I feel need feedback are as follows:

Headband of Dual Concentration
Attunement: The caster must not lose concentration on a concentration spell once for an entire session

Effect: The wearer may have 2 concentration spells active at once. While doing so, all attacks, saves, and checks are made with disadvantage. The wearer also has resistance to psychic damage while concentrating on any spell(s).

Assassin Vine Ring

Attunement: The character must ingest poison willingly. Any poisons ingested by the character can be used in the ring's ability (see below)

This ring allows the bearer to add any contact or injury poison to any spell which uses creates, conjures, or affects mundane plants. This poison is used as a material component for the spell, and is consumed by the spell when cast.

Any creature that fails its save or is hit by an effect generated by such a spell is subject to the poison as if it had been struck with a poisoned weapon or ingested.

ie Entangle, Spike Growth, Plant Growth, Grasping Vine

Drawback: The wearer has disadvantage on saves against good aligned fey, and can't summon good aligned fey with any conjuration spell.

----

Are these too powerful? Confusing? Too weak? Any input would be appreciated.

Wartex1
2015-04-02, 04:36 PM
There's a separate board for this, so you can ask a mod to move it there.

Headband of Dual Concentration could be really broken, even with the disadvantage from it. I'm not entirely sure.

The other one seems fine though. Poisons don't tend to come up too often though.

FruitOfTheShroom
2015-04-02, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure about the dual concentration item. It seems really powerful, and not particularly interesting, so I probably won't use it.

Would adding "The user may not cast spells or attack while concentrating on two spells," make it a little less broken? I dunno, might not be worth it at the point to use it fairly.

Also, I thought this forum would be better for PEACHing something based on balance and rules since it's specialized in 5e. I can flag it though, if this is an inappropriate forum.

Wartex1
2015-04-02, 06:01 PM
Maybe require a check to Concentrate on both at the same time.

Threads in the Homebrew Section have different prefixes for different games.