PDA

View Full Version : ranger+wizard+?

pseudodragon
2015-04-02, 06:17 PM
i am making a character, with three classes. i am trying to find something that works well with wizard (or sorcerer) for my character. any ideas?

asorel
2015-04-02, 06:21 PM
That depends on what sort of character you're trying to make. If you want to multiclass, as a rule of thumb Wizard isn't the best option, unless you're focusing heavily on utilities, as they're the only INT-based class at the moment.

EDIT: The Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster subclasses from Fighter and Rogue, respectively, use INT for their casting.

Rhaegar14
2015-04-02, 06:29 PM
What specific reason do you have for a three-class character? Thought experiment? I actually can't think of a single character concept that can't be done better with two classes, and few that aren't best single-classed.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-02, 06:59 PM
Ranger (Beast Master) 5/Rogue (Arcane Trickster) 9/Wizard 6 (Necromancy)

Gain a familiar and a beast, they won't have a lot of hp but you will have options. Plus with a bunch of undead running around things should have a hard time getting to you. Get a beast that has a nice rider effect or multiattack.

Be a halfling and ride on your beast for a extra mobility, hide in your undead horde (something you can do as a halfling) and let's see... Oh when you hide your target will have disadvantage on saves versus your spells.

pseudodragon
2015-04-02, 07:00 PM
3 classes for versatility, and i want to make a fun character, for non-serious play.

asorel
2015-04-02, 07:11 PM
3 classes for versatility, and i want to make a fun character, for non-serious play.

Depending on what your definition of "serious" is, a Halfling Ranger dual-wielding lances from atop a Pteradon can embody the very antithesis of deadpan. Starting with Fighter before going Ranger will give you Heavy Armor proficiency, but would delay your getting an animal companion.

pseudodragon
2015-04-02, 07:42 PM
by non-serious, i meant that i am building the character, and i want to play a halfling ranger that can cast burning hands, because that is my favorite class/ race combo, with burning hands, my favorite spell. so i decided to use wizard for the burning hands, and 1 level more of either of them wouldn't be as fun as one of a complete new class.

Shining Wrath
2015-04-02, 07:56 PM
OK, so take Halfling Ranger 1 / Wizard 1 / Cleric 18. Take the Tempest domain.

Allocate standard array as S 10 D 14 (+2 for halfling = 16) CN 13 (+ 1 for Stout = 14) I 12 W 15 CH 8. You have enough Int to cast Burning Hands, enough Dexterity to hit with a bow or crossbow, and you can also hurl lightning around as a weapon. Especially at higher levels they'll save against your Burning Hands, but it will still be a useful surprise in a pinch (when mummies attack and you can't turn them all).

Giant2005
2015-04-02, 08:00 PM
If Ranger is a certainty, then I'd recommend a Light Cleric to provide Burning Hands.
They both run off Wisdom so you would have a lot less MAD to deal with. As for a third class, I'd either take a low level dip in Druid for more low level spells memorized and cantrips (Without slowing down your spell slot progression) or Monk for the Wisdom synergy. If you plan on being more of a caster than a Fighter, or plan on using ranged attacks, then obviously go for Druid. If you will primarily fight in melee and spellcasting is secondary to physical attacks, then Monk would be preferred.

pseudodragon
2015-04-02, 08:01 PM
oh, i meant to mention that this will be a third level character. and i am sort of going for interesting here, and cleric is not that interesting to me.

Giant2005
2015-04-02, 08:11 PM
oh, i meant to mention that this will be a third level character. and i am sort of going for interesting here, and cleric is not that interesting to me.

Well if both Wizard and Ranger a lock, then your only real options are Rogue, Monk, Fighter, Cleric and Druid. Otherwise you will be adding a fourth 13+ ability requirement into the mix that you probably aren't going to be able to meet.
It sounds like Cleric is too boring to add to the mix, so we can eliminate that now which leaves: Rogue, Monk, Fighter and Druid.
Are there any others you could discard right away?

Tenmujiin
2015-04-02, 08:18 PM
If you want ranger and burning hands you are better served by 1 level of light cleric (they get it as a domain spell and have the same casting stat as a ranger). light cleric also gets you warding flare to give disadvantage on wis modifier attacks against you per short rest. Eldritch knight is another option and would get you action surge, heavy armor (although you probably won't use it) a 2nd fighting style and weapon bond at the cost of needing int to cast.

pseudodragon
2015-04-02, 09:05 PM
the game will probably be a one-shot, and i had an idea: why not get the other players to multi-class as much as i am as well?
i thought up ways to put the base classes in the rulebook together, and i have came up with combinations, so that our party can deal with all the problems as well as possible:
barbarian-fighter-paladin, cleric-druid-ranger, bard-sorcerer-warlock, and monk-rogue-wizard.
what do you think? could i have put this together better?

upon further thought, and on not wanting to change this thread from its original course, i have started a new thread on this topic.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?407436-how-to-put-the-twelve-base-classes-in-four-characters&p=19053998#post19053998

burninatortrog
2015-04-03, 02:24 AM
1 level more of either of them wouldn't be as fun as one of a complete new class.

I disagree with this. Advancing to 2nd level in Wizard will grant you your first Arcane Tradition feature, some of which are the most interesting and powerful features in the game.