PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Would a monk's extraordinary abilities operate in an antimagic field?

MonkeySage
2015-04-02, 09:01 PM
A lot of the class's extraordinary abilities expend ki points. Since the ki pool is a supernatural ability, i was wondering if abilites that spent ki points would function in antimagic fields.

Was actually having a conversation with a friend, who said the class didn't make sense because monks could do things without magic that would normally require magic. Then I explained to him that they are pretty much magic users, he seems to get it a little bit more. But what do you guys think of this?

Snowbluff
2015-04-02, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I don't think they would have their Ki points in an AMF.

Monks are bad. Expect Pathfinder Unchained to fix that... unless you're like me, and you're wondering why there was a monk in the first place.

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-02, 09:09 PM

Monks are bad. Expect Pathfinder Unchained to fix that... unless you're like me, and you're wondering why there was a monk in the first place.

What you dont know is that monks are actually really really good......
Sorry, I just cant say that with a straight face :P

MonkeySage
2015-04-02, 09:13 PM
I don't so much want to get rid of them completely, I think they have their place, and I think the pathfinder version is a definite improvement... I can see room for tweaking, maybe someone can come up with better ideas... Oh, and axe the omnilingualism, cause that's totally out of place. ^_^

I think maybe they tried too hard to recreate the version of monk from 3.5 instead of coming up with their own idea of how the class should work. The concept is fine...

Psyren
2015-04-02, 10:16 PM
You can use an archetype (most notably Qinggong) to trade out all the monk things that don't make sense - like the omnilingualism. And slow fall, because god what a terrible ability.

And yeah, AMF shuts down a lot of classes, that doesn't make them bad. (There are certainly things that make the PF monk bad, but having abilities that go away in an AMF is not one of them.)

IZ42
2015-04-02, 10:18 PM
I don't so much want to get rid of them completely, I think they have their place, and I think the pathfinder version is a definite improvement... I can see room for tweaking, maybe someone can come up with better ideas... Oh, and axe the omnilingualism, cause that's totally out of place. ^_^

I think maybe they tried too hard to recreate the version of monk from 3.5 instead of coming up with their own idea of how the class should work. The concept is fine...

The problem is that they didn't want to scare away potential players by completely rewriting a class they thought they knew and loved, so they stuck with the basic mechanics and buffed it up a bit, but not enough to make it actually that strong. I for one, love the monk, and love the fact that it's getting someone cool sounding changes in Pathfinder Unchained. And one of the greatest things about the monk is the sheer variety of archetypes you can take, from a Soul Stealing Monk (Hungry Ghost), to a Bruce Lee Monk (Martial Artist/MoMS), an archer monk(Zen Archer), to even a healing monk (Monk of the Healing Hand). The Monk class is so flavorful and diverse, it's almost worth it to play it for the fluff alone, and ignore the inherent weaknesses of the class, but not quite. Just my two CP as the resident monk lover.

Psyren
2015-04-02, 10:20 PM
I love monks too and do enjoy the challenge of building good ones. I'm looking forward to the Unchained buffs too.

Perhaps Brawler will become the Martial Artist archetype of the nuMonk.

Necromancy
2015-04-02, 11:00 PM
Extraordinary Abilities (Ex)

These abilities cannot be disrupted in combat, as spells can, and they generally do not provoke attacks of opportunity. Effects or areas that negate or disrupt magic have no effect on extraordinary abilities. They are not subject to dispelling, and they function normally in an antimagic field. Indeed, extraordinary abilities do not qualify as magical, though they may break the laws of physics.

Necromancy
2015-04-02, 11:04 PM
Also don't forget Tetori monk, personal favorite

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?406156-Dragon-wrestling-or-proof-that-CMB-CMD-is-attainable-to-the-point-of-being-broken&p=19023359&viewfull=1#post19023359

MonkeySage
2015-04-02, 11:06 PM
I asked whether they would cease to function, because the ki pool is a supernatural ability. I asked if, because they still rely on ki points, whether those ki points could be spent in an AMF.

Flickerdart
2015-04-02, 11:06 PM
Because there was a Monk in 3e, which was there because there was a Monk in 2e, which was there because there was a Monk in Basic, which was there because there was a Monk in AD&D, which was there because there was a Monk in OD&D, which was there because of a pulp fiction series called Destroyer.

grarrrg
2015-04-02, 11:57 PM

Missed the part where he's talking about EX abilities that require you to spend Ki, which is a SU.
Does the AMF stop the SU which effectively stops the EX?
Or can you still spend the SU in an AMF to EX?
OMGWTHBBQ!

Psyren
2015-04-03, 12:04 AM

These abilities cannot be disrupted in combat, as spells can, and they generally do not provoke attacks of opportunity. Effects or areas that negate or disrupt magic have no effect on extraordinary abilities. They are not subject to dispelling, and they function normally in an antimagic field. Indeed, extraordinary abilities do not qualify as magical, though they may break the laws of physics.

Right, but that's not the problem - the abilities work, but his ki pool is suppressed, so he can't power any parts of them that use ki. For example, he still has High Jump, but can't activate the +20 Acrobatics part of that ability in the AMF, because he can't spend ki.

Missed the part where he's talking about EX abilities that require you to spend Ki, which is a SU.
OMGWTHBBQ!

You can use whichever parts of the Ex don't use ki. So going back to High Jump, you still get to treat all your jumps as if you had a running start, and you still get to add your level to your jump checks, because that part doesn't require ki - it is just always on.

icefractal
2015-04-03, 03:26 AM
What you dont know is that monks are actually really really good......
Sorry, I just cant say that with a straight face :PHey, monk is a highly effective class! If you optimize it fairly significantly, and have above-normal WBL.

Actually some of the archetypes do move it up to "not bad for a non-caster" territory, to be fair.

Reprimand
2015-04-03, 05:55 AM

What is Monk Unchained? I'm curious now and I can't sleep. : (

Milo v3
2015-04-03, 05:59 AM
What is Monk Unchained? I'm curious now and I can't sleep. : (

Later this month Pathfinder is releasing a book called Pathfinder Unchained, which'll have variants on tonnes of topics, one of the things being "unchained" is the Monk. In a recent blog post they said the following about the unchained monk:

The original monk has many disparate abilities. While these abilities may be useful, they don't always synergize, and they are extremely inflexible. The unchained monk loosens up, gaining ki powers that allow you to customize your monk to fit your vision, whether it be a kung fu genius or wuxia mystic (my favorites are the ones like ki visions that let you gain divination powers that affect the narrative out of combat!). The unchained monk also has a full base attack bonus, an all-new flurry of blows, and some martial arts style strikes that help him reach his true potential (my favorite is flying kick, which lets you perform a leaping kick out to a distance equal to your extra monk movement speed once per flurry—mobile combatant for the win!).

Reprimand
2015-04-03, 06:02 AM
Later this month Pathfinder is releasing a book called Pathfinder Unchained, which'll have variants on tonnes of topics, one of the things being "unchained" is the Monk. In a recent blog post they said the following about the unchained monk:

Curiosity sated I can go back to bed now. Thanks!

Sometimes I get curious and need to know the answer to something or else I get super anxious and can't do anything else for a while so thanks for the prompt answer.

Psyren
2015-04-03, 11:04 AM
Hey, monk is a highly effective class! If you optimize it fairly significantly, and have above-normal WBL..

Normal WBL is fine. You'd only need more if your GM is regularly throwing things at you above your CR.

Curiosity sated I can go back to bed now. Thanks!

Sometimes I get curious and need to know the answer to something or else I get super anxious and can't do anything else for a while so thanks for the prompt answer.

That's, uh.... have you tried Ambien? (I am not a doctor.)

atemu1234
2015-04-03, 11:07 AM
OMGWTHBBQ!

Oh my God, what the hell, barbeque? :smallconfused:

Psyren
2015-04-03, 11:25 AM

That H is normally an F in the standard internet phrase.

http://i.imgur.com/afWP8Sp.jpg

grarrrg
2015-04-03, 08:22 PM

With all the AMF SU EX ETC I decided to just roll with it. :smallcool:
V And also this V

That H is normally an F in the standard internet phrase.