PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help me make my character concept reality. D&D 3.5

anoblewolf
2015-04-02, 09:39 PM
This is my first time posting so please bare with me...

I am trying to create a character that has vowed to never again take another life unless absolutely necessary. (I will not be taking the vow of nonviolence nor vow of peace because I do not with this choice to effect the other players.)

This character will be a human, I would like this character to use a wooden sword with Merciful enchantment and no shield. I would prefer to go with light or no armor. (Preferring to deflect and dodge incoming attacks while quickly moving around the battlefield.)

I am also looking to use non lethal spells or spell like abilities to restrict enemy movement and attacks.

I have some experience with d&d but not much, that is why I am here. I am unsure of which classes, feats, and spells of spell like abilities would best represent this concept.

Thank you for any help you may provide.

Haruki-kun
2015-04-02, 10:12 PM
Easiest answer I can think of is to play a bard or cleric or some other form of support class so that you keep your fighting to a minimum. Or else a spellcaster with spells that focus on immobilizing or knocking out opponents.

I don't have much else to suggest, other than your already mentioned weapon with Merciful and non-lethal damage.

Coventry
2015-04-02, 10:57 PM
It sounds to me like you would be happy playing a Beguiler (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=363.0). Light armor, full caster focused on enchantments and illusions, and able to play the "skills" role in the party when the spells will no do.

anoblewolf
2015-04-02, 11:47 PM
Easiest answer I can think of is to play a bard or cleric or some other form of support class so that you keep your fighting to a minimum. Or else a spellcaster with spells that focus on immobilizing or knocking out opponents.

I don't have much else to suggest, other than your already mentioned weapon with Merciful and non-lethal damage.

Thank you for your advice.

I should have explained this concept better.

Above all else this character is a very agile swordsman, possibly fighter/rogue or something along that line. Someone that moves in attacks and out or on to another target quickly. I realize that only doing non lethal damage means that I have to do twice as much damage as lethal.

As for the spells side of things that is just a would be cool idea. Like I said this character is above all a swordsman.

Thank you again.

anoblewolf
2015-04-02, 11:50 PM
It sounds to me like you would be happy playing a Beguiler (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=363.0). Light armor, full caster focused on enchantments and illusions, and able to play the "skills" role in the party when the spells will no do.

Thank you for your response.

I looked over the class and thou it was interesting it is not quiet what I am looking for.

thank you again.

Karl Aegis
2015-04-03, 12:04 AM
A Warblade or a Swordsage from Tome of Battle would work. Warblades can deflect or redirect attacks made against them with the Iron Heart school and Swordsages can do some cool things with the Setting Sun school. Both have access to the Stone Dragon school that allows them to disarm foes with a strike and gain some damage reduction. You can pick up some of the abilities of other schools with the Martial Study feat so your warblade can have access to Wall of Blades, Manticore Parry and Scorpion Parry.

Vaynor
2015-04-03, 01:57 AM
The Red Towel: Moved to D&D 3e/3.5e/d20.

gorfnab
2015-04-03, 02:36 AM
Above all else this character is a very agile swordsman, possibly fighter/rogue or something along that line. Someone that moves in attacks and out or on to another target quickly. I realize that only doing non lethal damage means that I have to do twice as much damage as lethal.

Here is a swordsman build I came up with a while ago that can do some of the things you're asking for. It uses some of the techniques found in this handbook: A Short Guide to Defensive Fighting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?178445-A-short-guide-to-defensive-fighting)

Einhander Defensive Fighter Swordsman

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense (CS), Combat Expertise, B: Weapon Finesse
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Decisive Strike (PHBII) Monk - B: Dodge
3. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - Carmendine Monk (CoV), B: Mobility
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander (PHBII)
10. Thief Acrobat or Warblade
11. Warblade or Duelist
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura (ToB)
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit (PHBII)
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior (ToB)
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv, pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII) and Snap Kick (ToB) (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious (UA).

Items:
Vest of Defense (MIC)
Bracers of Blocking (Dragon 322)
Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv) (pre-errata version if possible) or Rapier with the Defensive Surge (MIC) enhancement.

JyP
2015-04-03, 02:37 AM
by RAW, for nonlethal damage with no penalties, it would be a monk's unarmed strikes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm#unarmedStrike) - which do the same damage than a shortsword at 1st level. Monks also have bonus to speed, and fluff wise it matches a lot with someone not wanting to kill again. Well, you can even reskin and say he uses a wooden sword, without changing anything.

As you said, there's also the merciful (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#merciful)Magic Weapon Special Ability, but it may be difficult to have it at first level. Otherwise even rogues can do nonlethal : With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. .

So my guess would be a previous rogue (maybe using the martial rogue variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue), if you want to got Combat Expertise => Improved Disarm way) which now takes monks levels.

Darrin
2015-04-03, 09:10 AM
I looked around for stats on bokken, but didn't find anything. However, you can make a sword out of darkwood, and it works just like any other sword. DMG page 283:

"Items not normally made of wood or only partially of wood (such as a battleaxe or a mace) either cannot be made from darkwood or do not gain any special benefit from being made of darkwood."
(emphasis added)

So, a darkwood longsword (non-masterwork) would cost 55 GP.

Another option would be to use a truncheon (Book of Exalted Deeds page 34), which deals 1d8 nonlethal bludgeon damage, and just refluff it as a "wooden sword".

To deal subdual damage with any melee weapon, all you have to do is take the Subduing Strike feat (Book of Exalted Deeds page 46).

So... Fighter 1 with a wooden sword, take Subduing Strike as your fighter bonus feat, and you're good to go.

As far as wearing no armor... I'd try to avoid monk, maybe consider Battle Dancer from Dragon Compendium (gain Charisma bonus to AC) or the Unarmed Swordsage variant from Tome of Battle.

JyP
2015-04-03, 10:00 AM
Another option would be to use a truncheon (Book of Exalted Deeds page 34), which deals 1d8 nonlethal bludgeon damage, and just refluff it as a "wooden sword".
A sap also deals 1d6 nonlethal bludgeon damage, for a short version :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2015-04-03, 10:07 AM
Check out the Thayan Slaver prestige class. They can deal nonlethal damage even when wielding lethal weapons, have attacks that damage Strength and Wisdom to knock people our or paralyze them instead of killing them, get the Assassin's death attack (paralyzing option only) and 3/day can stun someone on a hit. As if that wasn't enough, they also get 4 levels of some really solid wizard spells that will help you take people down non-lethally.

anoblewolf
2015-04-03, 07:51 PM
Thank you all for your feed back.

I should have mentioned that I am limited to only the core books PHB, DMG, and MM.

Thank you all again.

DMVerdandi
2015-04-03, 08:44 PM
If you are limited to core, then definitely pick up a cleric. Give him a club, refluff as Bokken/shinai.
Two hand it. As far as agility goes, use cat's grace to increase Dex. Perhaps wear leather armor, and use decent buffs like greater magic weapon, divine power, etc. to kick some tail in combat.

Keep some buffs for yourself, but also dole them out to the party. Perhaps have them chip in together to pay for wands, you make them, and have the whole party aid another and divy up experience points needed.
Maybe be an atheist cleric of war and magic.

As far as Items, pick up the same type of stuff that a wizard would use Try to get your casting stat as high as possible, and get yourself a monk's belt as soon as possible.