PDA

View Full Version : Good (or at least positive energy) outsider villains

Kennisiou
2015-04-02, 10:00 PM
So recently a campaign I was running that I figured I'd never run another session of (players moved, schedules changed, and nobody seemed willing to try to work with me to figure out how we could have sessions again) started back up, since the players all got together unprompted and decided they'd find a time to play again. One of our players is pretty new to D&D, and his tastes veer more towards the anime. He's playing a Wood Elf Warblade and really liking The Tome of Battle. I decided I'd run a session that explores his backstory and gives him a chance to go through the whole "anime training montage" cliche. I decided that on the peak of an incredibly high mountain on his island home, there's a place where a demiplane where time passes slowly (1 minute in the real world is 1 hour in the the demiplane), intersects with a positive-energy demiplane, and the material plane. Basically, I wanted to make a hyperbolic time chamber for him. There's a hermit living there who is going to train the warblade, the hermit living there is effectively immortal because of the effects of the intersecting planes and honestly all of this fluff is just to establish sort of the kind of thing that I may be looking for. Basically, what I want is a reason for the players to come back to the island that doubles as a reason for them to climb the mountain and a problem for the others to take care of while the warblade trains with his anime master. Yeah. So basically, what would be a good set of good (or positive energy at least) outsiders that could pose a threat to a region that would require heroes to come to the rescue?

Sorry for the rambling before I really get to the question. Not totally sure what would be relevant in helping figure out what could make a neat enemy for them to fight.

hamishspence
2015-04-02, 10:02 PM
Lumia from MM3 might qualify - "often Lawful Neutral" - fanatically anti-deception.

Psyren
2015-04-02, 10:13 PM
Ravids are from the Positive Energy Plane and can cause a lot of trouble by animating a bunch of objects nearby. Have one of the villagers scare/torment it and bam, robot apocalypse.

It would also make a great sparring partner for your warblade if the sensei captured or tamed one. He could wail on the Ravid's toys without any moral repercussions since they aren't alive.

Milo v3
2015-04-02, 10:16 PM
Pathfinder has a neutral positive outsider called Jytoi (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/additionalMonsters/jyoti.html) that could be a problem, especially in a region where divines are commonly worshipped.

DrMotives
2015-04-02, 10:34 PM
Planar handbook has vivacious creature template, which is like fiendish creature only for positive energy trait instead of evil. It does make things incorporeal, so that could toughen up things a bunch depending on the capabilities of your players, but it'll let you work just about anything you want in as a monster.

Inevitability
2015-04-03, 04:09 AM
Lumia from MM3 might qualify - "often Lawful Neutral" - fanatically anti-deception.

Allow me to expand on this: They are 'anti-deception' to the point that they'd rather kill a thousands innocents than allow a single lie to go unpunished. Yeah, that bad.

atemu1234
2015-04-03, 11:00 AM
Question, does a corrupted [Good] outsider count? A tortured-unto-madness Solar would be horrifying.

The Viscount
2015-04-03, 02:20 PM
Glimmerskins are from the Positive Energy Plane, and they're a real pain. They need a host to do much, though.

Red Fel
2015-04-03, 02:33 PM
Question, does a corrupted [Good] outsider count? A tortured-unto-madness Solar would be horrifying.

Anything can be villainous when it's placed in opposition to the party. The problem is that, if the party is Good, it's very difficult for a Good Outsider to be justified in fighting them, unless it takes its alignment to absurdly extreme lengths (which raises the question of how Good it really is), or the party's Goodness is questionable.

A tortured-unto-madness Solar is still a Solar. That's the tricky part. It's still made up of inherent Goodness. Even driven to the point that it cannot tell friend from enemy, it is possessed of an inherent and all-consuming desire to do Good, however that is defined. It's tricky to have such a creature, even a mad one, be truly antagonistic. Possible, but tricky. Consider also the fact that the spell Sanctify the Wicked takes a target Evil creature and completely alters it from a fundamental level in order to make it Good. That's the kind of force necessary to make a Solar actually Evil - something that alters it on a fundamental level.

Personally, I'm fond of the idea of taking races that emphasize the L to an extreme. Lumi are a fantastic choice. Alternatively, an encounter gone wrong with a Lantern Archon is a possibility, if you're talking about players who attack first and ask questions later - Archons, moreso than other Good Outsiders, are quite comfortable smiting those who assault one of their own and fail to justify or apologize for the action.

T.G. Oskar
2015-04-03, 03:28 PM
A tortured-unto-madness Solar is still a Solar. That's the tricky part. It's still made up of inherent Goodness. Even driven to the point that it cannot tell friend from enemy, it is possessed of an inherent and all-consuming desire to do Good, however that is defined. It's tricky to have such a creature, even a mad one, be truly antagonistic. Possible, but tricky. Consider also the fact that the spell Sanctify the Wicked takes a target Evil creature and completely alters it from a fundamental level in order to make it Good. That's the kind of force necessary to make a Solar actually Evil - something that alters it on a fundamental level.

How about figuring that there's no need for Gods? The Elder Evils have a fallen Solar (with the head of a serpent, BTW) who's one of the servants of said evils: Sertrous, IIRC. He was sent to kill the Elder Evil, but the fallen creature whispered the secrets of how creatures could gain divine power without worshipping the gods. He relays that to his superiors, the word runs out that it's possible, gods lose worshippers, and the poor guy is stripped of its glory. Then it turns into a militant atheist angel with the head of a serpent, and demoted to Planetar status (supposedly, since it can cast 9th level spells, and it happens to have Gate - surprise, chain gating Solars Balors! Actually, more like "Solar in all but name") Chaotic Evil, still can fly, still has regeneration, still has SLAs...

Also: while it hasn't changed in a fundamental level, there's another example with Eludecia (the winner of the first Creature Competition), the Succubus Paladin. The Adventure The Silver Skeleton has her, BTW, so it's pretty much canon. Yes, it requires something that alters it on a fundamental level: those are two good examples (discovering a forbidden truth, or being loved by an angel). Nothing good ol' fluff can't handle.

Grek
2015-04-03, 05:32 PM
Immediately usable ideas:
A legion of Lantern Archons have been sent by the Goddess of Peace to pacify the island by confiscating all weapons and tossing them into the sea.
A local fisherman has been infected by a passing weredolphin. Although the 'curse' forced him to abandon all evil thoughts and become playful, friendly and helpful to all, his wife and children are upset by his nightly transformations. They ask you to track the original weredolphin back to its layer and demand a cure.
A nymph has taken up residence in the harbour. Several people have already been blinded. The mayor has asked you to convince it to relocate somewhere else.
An artist has decided to sculpt a very large statue into the side of a mountain. A lillend (or covey of lillends) has declared that none may scale the mountain until the artist completes his project. Unfortunately, this is expected to take nearly two decades.
A Leonal has decided that this island will make a perfect location to establish a nature preserve for a rare and endangered species of cat. A mating pair of (Celestial Cats/Leopards/Lions/Dire Tigers) have been released into the nearby jungle. Harming them, even if they attack first, will earn you the ire of their protector
A Half-Celestial Roc has roosted on the mountain. Its natural Charm magic is being used to lure all of the island's livestock up into its nest to be devoured.

Psyren
2015-04-03, 06:24 PM
Consider also the fact that the spell Sanctify the Wicked takes a target Evil creature and completely alters it from a fundamental level in order to make it Good. That's the kind of force necessary to make a Solar actually Evil - something that alters it on a fundamental level.

1) You have to remember that BoED follows Rousseau philosophy, i.e. everyone (except fiends) starts out good, and evil is a form of corruption that comes later. So in those terms, Sanctify - rather than altering your fundamental nature - is actually restoring it, from the standpoint of the book.

2) Sanctify doesn't work on demons or devils, both mechanically and because of the reason above. So you would in fact need an even more powerful force than Sanctify to alter a Solar in this way.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-03, 06:40 PM
Pick a monster that makes you feel good and slap the radiant creature template on it.