PDA

View Full Version : Could you recommend me an adventure with an incredible number of spellcasters?

gogogome
2015-04-02, 10:44 PM
My group is tired of killing one group of mundane creatures after another, and want something different. We're looking for (hopefully) at least one non-cleric spellcaster per encounter, most preferably wizard, sorcerer, bard, druid or the like. We're bored of clerics. Their spells are unimpressive and we've fought too many drow/goblin/etc. clerics.

After reading through like a dozen adventure books I am exhausted...

A_S
2015-04-02, 10:56 PM
Red Hand of Doom has a pretty wide array of spellcaster enemies to fight, some of them Clerics, but plenty of other goodies too (there's even a Blighter!).

It's also not terribly hard to adapt existing modules to feature different enemies...just replace a couple Clerics in the encounters with Bards or Sorcerers or Beguilers or what have you. Or, if you're not the DM for your group, talk to them about doing so.

Finally, if you're finding Cleric casting to be underwhelming, it suggests to me that somebody isn't diving deep enough into splatbooks for cool Cleric spells. If you're willing to go beyond core, they make excellent primary casters (they're good in core, too, but kind of boring...there's only so many times you can cast Harm or Implosion before it stops being fun).

gogogome
2015-04-02, 11:53 PM
I'm not saying clerics are underwhelming, they're tier 1 after all, but the spells these modules have them prepare is all defensive and buffs that boost an underwhelming underling.

My last resort is swapping out all the clerics with wizards in the modules, but I was wondering if there was an existing module with heavy non-cleric spellcasters, because even the "cleric-heavy" modules I'm referencing have at most 1 cleric as a boss or midboss battle after like a hundred mundanes.

When I get creative and modify an existing module, I end up killing over half of the party members, even if it's as simple as replacing all cleric levels with wizard levels and preparing good spells which is another reason why it's a last resort for me.

A_S
2015-04-03, 12:06 AM
I definitely think you should be open to modifying at least the spell selection of the NPC's in your modules. If the module is telling you to prepare boring Clerics, ignore it! If you've found that replacing them with high-op Wizards is too much for your PC's, do something else...replace them with slightly lower level Wizards, or with Warmages, or with Clerics who have spells that actually do stuff. Being able to take a look at the fights you've been running, say "these haven't been as fun for my group as they should be," and come up with new fights that will be more fun for your group is part of being a good DM.

If you're really looking for a published module, though, I'll go back to my RHoD recommendation. The Wyrmlords (bad guy bosses) include a Sorcerer, a Bard/Stormcaller, a Favored Soul/Talon of Tiamat, and a non-boring Cleric. There's also a Blighter, a ton of Sorcerer mooks, and several dragons with Sorcerer casting. There's lots of great discussion on running it in Saintheart's thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?171284-The-3-5-Red-Hand-Of-Doom-Handbook-for-DMs-Major-spoilers!-WIP-PEACH!).

gogogome
2015-04-03, 12:20 AM
I am reading red hand of doom right now and it does seem promising. Thanks for the link to saintheart's thread too.

Eldariel
2015-04-03, 08:26 AM
If you're looking for higher level, I can warmly recommend Bastion of the Broken Souls. It's originally 3.0 so it takes a bit of adaptation and you should probably still revise some of the spell lists but as is generally the theme, adventures that deal with the planes tend to be chockful of magic.

gogogome
2015-04-03, 12:16 PM
If you're looking for higher level, I can warmly recommend Bastion of the Broken Souls. It's originally 3.0 so it takes a bit of adaptation and you should probably still revise some of the spell lists but as is generally the theme, adventures that deal with the planes tend to be chockful of magic.

Thanks, I'll read it after red hand of doom. How high level is it? Can you remember roughly the ratio of encounters to spellcasters?

Eldariel
2015-04-03, 02:40 PM
Thanks, I'll read it after red hand of doom. How high level is it? Can you remember roughly the ratio of encounters to spellcasters?

It's a bit of a dynamic adventure so it's hard to say exactly (depends on where the players go) but most of the big enemies are various types of outsiders so there's plenty of spellcasting going on. Least casty thingies are Balors and the like. 17-20 is I believe the recommended level range.