PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia RPG: the ultimate palette cleanser

DontEatRawHagis
2015-04-02, 10:48 PM
Tonight my players and I decided to relax a little and play a paranoia one shot.

Each player was given a mission:
1. Hack another players PDA.
2. One player hates bunnies. Kill them.
3. One player can detect mutants. Kill them.
4. One player is a robot in disguise. Kill them.

Their mission was simple deliver a letter to Recip-I-ANT. What resulted was the most paranoid game I played.

Immediately a player with teleport tried to get to the briefing room. A fail resulted in him flickering in and out of existence for a couple seconds.

Once they got weapons and R&D gear they started at each other again. One of the players stole another's wallet and left it as a trap. As soon as he picked it up the other player electrocuted him. The result turned out to be accusations of possible robotic tendencies of one of the players. Maybe he short circuited. Fun though it was, the player accused of being a robot was the one whose mission it was to route out the robot.

Eventually they got to the man to deliver the letter to, but the letter states one of the players was a traitor. The result the players knew a robot had infiltrated their ranks and proceeded to use a flame thrower to see if any of the pcs were not made of flesh and blood. The result was a complete TPK except for the flame thrower Wielder.

Once the players convinced the indigo officer that the traitor was taken care of the officer gave them a letter to return to their debriefing officer. The letter read that one of the players was a traitor I'm disguise. Which resulted in two players being singled out. One for constantly trying to hack another players pda(and hating bunnies) and another for being a robot.

After bunny hater was killed for treason the Debriefing officer berated the team for assuming the Indigo officer was the legitimate recipient of the letter and not an imposter.

At the end of the game the players asked who won and I revealed that We all had won as none of the objectives were possible to complete. and accusing allies of backstabbing was where the fun lay.

Hope this was a bit entertaining. Also be sure to pour yourself some whiskey it makes it 100% better.

SowZ
2015-04-02, 10:51 PM
Tonight my players and I decided to relax a little and play a paranoia one shot.

Their mission was simple deliver a letter to Recip-I-ANT. What resulted was the most paranoid game I played.

Immediately a player with teleport tried to get to the briefing room. A fail resulted in him flickering in and out of existence for a couple seconds.

Once they got weapons and R&D gear they started at each other again. One of the players stole another's wallet and left it as a trap. As soon as he picked it up the other player electrocuted him. The result turned out to be accusations of possible robotic tendencies of one of the players. Maybe he short circuited. Fun though it was, the player accused of being a robot was the one whose mission it was to route out the robot.

Eventually they got to the man to deliver the letter to, but the letter states one of the players was a traitor. The result the players knew a robot had infiltrated their ranks and proceeded to use a flame thrower to see if any of the pcs were not made of flesh and blood. The result was a complete TPK except for the flame thrower Wielder.

Once the players convinced the indigo officer that the traitor was taken care of the officer gave them a letter to return to their debriefing officer. The letter read that one of the players was a traitor I'm disguise. Which resulted in two players being singled out. One for constantly trying to hack another players pda(and hating bunnies) and another for being a robot.

After bunny hater was killed for treason the Debriefing officer berated the team for assuming the Indigo officer was the legitimate recipient of the letter and not an imposter.

At the end of the game the players asked who won and I revealed that We all had won as none of the objectives were possible to complete. and accusing allies of backstabbing was where the fun lay.

Hope this was a bit entertaining. Also be sure to pour yourself some whiskey it makes it 100% better.

Some day I'd love to play this game.

Maglubiyet
2015-04-02, 11:14 PM
Awesome session!

Paranoia is the absolute best. After the initial briefing and secret orders, all I had to do to one group was have the lights go out unexpectedly before they became completely unglued and started murdering each other.

One character was completely vaporized in the dark. Since they couldn't find his body, they assumed the traitor had run off. I kept passing secret notes to the player so they thought he was still alive. The team spent the rest of the mission looking for him -- losing a companion is treason so they couldn't return without at least a corpse!

Kami2awa
2015-04-03, 07:24 AM
Favourite Paranoia game ever was played with 2 GMs and 2 PC groups in separate rooms. Both were in different parts of Alpha Complex and couldn't meet up - but in order to complete their mission, one team (team 1) needed the complex power switched on, the other (team A) needed it switched off... and both had the ability to switch it on or off by tampering with power plants.

During this game, one team had picked up a package of random drugs, andone PC decided to ingest the whole package. The GM darted into the other room and asked the other team to name a type of drugs at random.

"Laxatives." was the immediate reply...

Cristo Meyers
2015-04-03, 07:30 AM

Ah, the Letter Run. Classic. My first introduction to Paranoia and the scenario we run almost all the time. Never goes the same way twice and it's amazing just how much damage the players can do just running a note down the hall.

Last time I played that one I nuked the entire sector. Since my mission was to destroy the message, I count that as a win.

Zyzzyva
2015-04-03, 08:16 AM
Paranoia is the absolute best. After the initial briefing and secret orders, all I had to do to one group was have the lights go out unexpectedly before they became completely unglued and started murdering each other.

Yeah, I remember running Paranoia for a bunch of newbies, and on the way out of the briefing, turned the lights off; the players sat there going "uh". On the way back from the mission, turned the lights off; TPK*. I believe I successfully taught them the basics of Paranoia. :smallcool:

Fun trick that only works once but is a riot when you do it: inform the players at debrief that they will be providing answers as a group and should consult to ensure the accuracy of their report. Then, when you ask them questions, write down the first complete sentence to come out of anyone's mouth, rather than the answer they settle on to tell you. It's so great seeing their faces when you read back "Q: how would you evaluate the success of your mission? A: I say we blame the Green guy."

*Technically because the loyalty officer had a grenade and tried to use it in an enclosed space, but it's not like the other players weren't furiously passing me notes.