PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Abuse Question

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-02, 10:51 PM
I know the answer is prolly no, but I have to ask anyway.

Theurgic Creationist. Its a feat from Dragon issue 325.

Basically you add the levels from all your spellcasting classes to determine your caster lvl for taking an item Creation feat and your combined spellcaster level is your Caster level for the items you create.

I know you cant take multi progression prestige classes, but do feats apply?

Necromancy
2015-04-02, 10:57 PM
Well, gold pieces are a huge limit regardless. Not that broken either way

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-02, 11:00 PM
right right,
but if I was a dwarf artificer on one side who focused on lowering gold costs, and any other spellcaster on the other side, I could craft items at like 25% market price or less.
I just read a really nice guide about it on min max.

torrasque666
2015-04-02, 11:01 PM
I think it would probably fall under the whole "class features don't stack" bit. Like it would be able to pull from one side or the other, but not both at the same time.

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-02, 11:06 PM
I think it would probably fall under the whole "class features don't stack" bit. Like it would be able to pull from one side or the other, but not both at the same time.

If I was the DM, I would not allow myself to take it as it upsets the balance that gestalt tries to make.
However I am not the DM, and everyone playing, including the DM, loves using legal yet broken combos, testing everyone's ability to build strong, yet sane characters. As such, I felt the need to ask after seeing this feat :P

After all, who wouldn't want to start with 4 times as much starting gold equivalent in items ;-)

Troacctid
2015-04-02, 11:10 PM
Well let's look at how many levels you have in spellcasting classes. Say you're a Wizard//Archivist.

At 1st level, you have one level of Wizard//Archivist--that's a spellcasting class level, so that's 1. At 2nd level, you have two levels of Wizard//Archivist--again, a spellcasting class level, so that's 2. At 3rd level, you decide to dip into Monk for Int to AC, so you go Wizard//Monk. Well, that's a spellcasting class level too, so you're at 3 now. Etc.

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-02, 11:15 PM
Well let's look at how many levels you have in spellcasting classes. Say you're a Wizard//Archivist.

At 1st level, you have one level of Wizard//Archivist--that's a spellcasting class level, so that's 1. At 2nd level, you have two levels of Wizard//Archivist--again, a spellcasting class level, so that's 2. At 3rd level, you decide to dip into Monk for Int to AC, so you go Wizard//Monk. Well, that's a spellcasting class level too, so you're at 3 now. Etc.

right, but it says add the two together.

Pinkie Pyro
2015-04-02, 11:41 PM
If you're just looking to cheese magic items, I'd suggest taking a look at this:

http://www.angelfire.com/pro/demon_1/prc_mind_mage.htm

At level seven, you can spend power points to prepare a spell in a lower level slot.

Buff caster level through the roof, cast this spell on a timeless plane:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Mental_Pinnacle

Prepare 9th level spell as level 1 sanctum spell, use the effective level 0 spell to enchant a ring/whatever of continuous/at will for 1000 GP.

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-02, 11:55 PM
If you're just looking to cheese magic items, I'd suggest taking a look at this:

http://www.angelfire.com/pro/demon_1/prc_mind_mage.htm

At level seven, you can spend power points to prepare a spell in a lower level slot.

Buff caster level through the roof, cast this spell on a timeless plane:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Mental_Pinnacle

Prepare 9th level spell as level 1 sanctum spell, use the effective level 0 spell to enchant a ring/whatever of continuous/at will for 1000 GP.

Im going to need to research every step of this process, but you sir just may be my hero :)

Pinkie Pyro
2015-04-03, 12:03 AM
Im going to need to research every step of this process, but you sir just may be my hero :)

Just a warning, might need to hire someone to plane shift you home, or have a psionic scroll or whatever so you aren't stuck in a timeless plane without any of your spellcasting.

Oh, and if you're actually pulling this off, first thing you should do is make a magic item of persistant mental pinnacle, metamagic spell slot adjustments don't actually count against the cost of a custom magic item.

"Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp"

"A persistent spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell’s actual level."

Troacctid
2015-04-03, 12:48 AM
right, but it says add the two together.
There is no two. You aren't a Wizard 3/Archivist 3. You're a Wizard//Archivist 3.

Step 1: Count how many levels you have. You have three levels.
Step 2: Determine how many of those levels are levels are spellcasting classes. All three of them are in spellcasting classes.
Step 3: There you go. That's your caster level. It's 3.

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-03, 01:10 AM
There is no two. You aren't a Wizard 3/Archivist 3. You're a Wizard//Archivist 3.

Step 1: Count how many levels you have. You have three levels.
Step 2: Determine how many of those levels are levels are spellcasting classes. All three of them are in spellcasting classes.
Step 3: There you go. That's your caster level. It's 3.

Ok then, thanks.
In other words, the feat is 100% useless :P

torrasque666
2015-04-03, 09:01 AM
In gestalt? Yes.

On a Mystic Theruge? Or any other sort of dual-progression class? Not at all. The classes levels are progressed by the theruge class at the same time, and they stack for item creation. So a wizard 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theruge 10 would craft as a 26th level character, as it has a caster level of 13 in both classes.

atemu1234
2015-04-03, 11:46 AM
In gestalt? Yes.

On a Mystic Theruge? Or any other sort of dual-progression class? Not at all. The classes levels are progressed by the theruge class at the same time, and they stack for item creation. So a wizard 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theruge 10 would craft as a 26th level character, as it has a caster level of 13 in both classes.

Though again, gold is a limiting factor.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-04-03, 12:18 PM
I know you cant take multi progression prestige classes, but do feats apply?
I would probably say "no, you can't take multi-progression feats." They hadn't been invented when the gestalt rules were being invented (to the best of my knowledge), but I think the same "no double dipping" idea applies.