PDA

View Full Version : Ravenloft - Where do I start?

Rui
2015-04-03, 10:30 AM
Hello all! :smallsmile:

I'm planning to run a mini-campaign where the villain is a vampire. His plan is to rule one city and to make it his kingdom of shadows. Now, the vampire has some spells - one that he devised himself, that "throws" the players into his mind - how he pictures the city. There, they will have to defeat him in order to kill him in reality.

From what I understood, Ravenloft is a gothic place, where Strad, the vampire, rules with an iron fist. I know that 3.5 had some books about Ravenloft, but where do I start? From the books? From it's wiki? From older editions books?

Thanks ahead,
rui.

sakuuya
2015-04-03, 10:53 AM
The 3.5 mini-campaign book Expedition to Castle Ravenloft doesn't fit your plot exactly--basically, all of the Big Bads in ravenloft already have their kingdoms of shadow, and are trapped in them--but it's a good introduction.

RedMage125
2015-04-03, 12:25 PM
During the 3e era (don't remember if it was 3.0 or 3.5), WotC sublet out the Ravenloft IP to Sword & Sorcery Studios (owned by White Wolf, the same people who did Vampire: the Masquerade and so on). Their Ravenloft was pretty good. There were several books for it. Sometime durin the 3.5e era, the contract expired and WotC took it back, publishing the aforementioned adventure module Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

Blackhawk748
2015-04-03, 12:31 PM
During the 3e era (don't remember if it was 3.0 or 3.5), WotC sublet out the Ravenloft IP to Sword & Sorcery Studios (owned by White Wolf, the same people who did Vampire: the Masquerade and so on). Their Ravenloft was pretty good. There were several books for it. Sometime durin the 3.5e era, the contract expired and WotC took it back, publishing the aforementioned adventure module Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

The Sword and Sorcery Ravenloft books are quite solid, i own most of them (sadly not in hardcover :smallmad:) So a flip through those, they have some really cool rules and are really good for ideas.