PDA

View Full Version : Oathbreaker + Necromancer

Spacehamster
2015-04-03, 01:28 PM
so how good would this build be? take 7 levels oathbreaker and 13 levels necromancer.
probably half elf and take +1 in STR and INT so you get plus in the important stats.
Use most spell slots for raising zombies and skeletons + some smiting and occational
burn spell.

Start as 1 paladin for heavy armor so you can have DEX as a low stat without worrying
then go up to 6 necromancer to get animate dead and the necromancer lvl 6 perk
after that you go up to lvl 7 oathbreaker for their undead/fiend improving aura.
Could probably go 8 oathbreaker to get max feats even tho that would block you
from getting level 7 wizard spells itīs probably worth it since you would get that lvl
7 spell at lvl 20 which pretty much no game go to anyways. But at level 7 you get better
undead from necro and when you reach level 13 they get even better from oathbreaker aura.

Kinda like the idea of this dread lord plate wearing leader of undead that is also a pretty
good battlemage type character thanks to wizard levels. :) But would it be a functional build.
Know many ideas sound really cool in the head but does not always work as intended. :)

Oh and skills from Half-elf: Arcana and Perception, and as background I thought Noble would fit the bill of a dread lord so persuasion
and history from that. Paladin I took athletics + religion.

D.U.P.A.
2015-04-03, 03:05 PM
Better idea is to agree with someone in the party, so one plays necromancer wizard and the other oathbreaker paladin. Unless it's a solo campaign :)

Spacehamster
2015-04-03, 03:07 PM
Better idea is to agree with someone in the party, so one plays necromancer wizard and the other oathbreaker paladin. Unless it's a solo campaign :)

haha that is true. :) but we dont have a wizard in the party only a sorcerer and a war cleric thats the only full casters so thought this would be a fun
concept and still pretty useful with many hard-hitting meat/bone shields for the party. :)

D.U.P.A.
2015-04-03, 07:52 PM
But to the 20th (even 7th) level it's a long way. Until then, someone would already die or change character (or even player), who would play a wizard.

HoarsHalberd
2015-04-04, 05:57 AM
Full Oathbreaker would be better, if you just focus on the stats you'd be good at anyway, Cha and STR you'll still be a powerful force, and if someone becomes a necromancer later on, you become even more powerful as a force multiplier and you can still have some undead on side as well.

As to the build itself. It is very MAD. You need a high Cha to make the build work, a high Int to make wizard spells work, a moderate Con because nobody wants to dump health and as high a strength as you can get alongside these stats. Also because you won't be pumping strength you'll be greatly weaker as a Paladin before you get to level 7.

Spacehamster
2015-04-04, 06:52 AM
Full Oathbreaker would be better, if you just focus on the stats you'd be good at anyway, Cha and STR you'll still be a powerful force, and if someone becomes a necromancer later on, you become even more powerful as a force multiplier and you can still have some undead on side as well.

As to the build itself. It is very MAD. You need a high Cha to make the build work, a high Int to make wizard spells work, a moderate Con because nobody wants to dump health and as high a strength as you can get alongside these stats. Also because you won't be pumping strength you'll be greatly weaker as a Paladin before you get to level 7.

Rolled stats with none of them lower then 14 and two 18s so mad is no problem at all. :) we roll 4d6 and reroll 1s so tend to get insane stats. :)

pwykersotz
2015-04-04, 09:37 AM

A focus on Animate Dead elminates the MAD though, provided (and he replied he does) he has sufficient stats to multiclass. And level 7 is a great breakpoint for a Paladin.

I think the build is pretty sweet, myself. Though I prefer my Oath of the Ancients 7 / Draconic Sorcerer 13 a bit more, it works on a similar premise.