PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Useful feats for Wizards

Pippin
2015-04-03, 04:48 PM
Hey playground,

if we put aside all relevant metamagic feats, Arcane Disciple, Summon Elemental, Reserves of Strength and Uncanny Forethought, what other nice feats do we have for wizards?

I've found Extraordinary Concentration in Complete Adventurer. It basically enables you to cast spells while concentrating on another spell, like Summon Elemental Monolith. What do you think? What other feats are worth mentioning?

Prerequisite
Concentration 15 ranks,

Benefit
When concentrating to maintain a spell, you can make a Concentration check (DC 25 + spell level) to maintain concentration with just a move action. If you beat the DC by 10 or more, you can maintain concentration on the spell as a swift action (see Swift Actions and Immediate Actions, page 137). Using this ability is a free action, but if you fail the Concentration check, you lose concentration on the maintained spell and its effect ends. This feat does not give you the ability to maintain concentration on more than one spell at a time.

Normal
Concentrating on a spell is a standard action.

Troacctid
2015-04-03, 05:42 PM
Improved Familiar is good, as is Spell-Linked Familiar. I like having an offensive reserve feat like Acidic Splatter or Fiery Burst as well--at low levels, it's better than firing a crossbow, and later on it's nice to have a backup at-will option that ignores spell resistance and whatnot.

Zaq
2015-04-03, 05:43 PM
Reserve feats are nice at low levels, though by high levels, you've got enough spells per day that you don't really need an at-will option.

Item creation feats are very powerful if your GM gives you downtime to work with, though they're too finicky for a lot of players. (I'm one of those players—I recognize that they're very strong, but they're a lot of work if you want to use them properly.)

Arcane Mastery (CArc) is useful if you don't trust your dice. Caster level checks usually determine whether your action for the round is wasted or not, so it can be nice to remove the variability from that. It's less useful if your GM likes throwing casters at you who have a much higher CL than you do, but that can be countered with enough CL boosters of your own.

If you like spells that involve ranged touch attacks (like orbs and rays), Precise Shot applies to Wizards as much as it does to archers. Sure, touch attacks are easier to make than normal attacks, but why take a –4 that you don't have to take?

Knowledge Devotion (CChamp) is useful if you make ranged touch attacks, and it's also useful if you have any spells that do damage. The damage boost applies to all damage rolls, not just weapon damage rolls, so it even applies to blast spells and things like that. It's not a ton of extra damage, but it's one of the only non-metamagic feats that can directly increase spell damage, so that can be useful.

If you're into summoning and other Conjuration spells, Cloudy Conjuration (CMag) is a nice no-action rider. Augment Summoning is not usually the best possible use of two feats outside of a Core-only environment, but it's not actually a bad feat if you like summons.

atemu1234
2015-04-03, 05:50 PM
Improved Familiar is good, as is Spell-Linked Familiar. I like having an offensive reserve feat like Acidic Splatter or Fiery Burst as well--at low levels, it's better than firing a crossbow, and later on it's nice to have a backup at-will option that ignores spell resistance and whatnot.

Plus, Improved Familiar turns a squishy balloon full of XP into a decent combat partner.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-03, 06:47 PM
If you rely on spells that deal non-hp damage then arcane strike can be pretty awesome.

If you though Shivering Touch was awesome before, wait till you stack an additional 9d4 dex damage onto it.

sideswipe
2015-04-03, 07:10 PM
in reasonably low-mid op (its not really worth the slot high op) Alacritous Cogitation is a great get out of jail free card.

if you allow drag mag then eidetic wizard is great for people who are paranoid about losing your spellbook.

DarkSonic1337
2015-04-03, 09:58 PM
If you rely on spells that deal non-hp damage then arcane strike can be pretty awesome.

If you though Shivering Touch was awesome before, wait till you stack an additional 9d4 dex damage onto it.

Pretty sure arcane strike just adds untyped damage.

Troacctid
2015-04-03, 10:12 PM
Collegiate Wizard is also solid if you're going Wizard 20, although it depends on the DM--if you're getting a lot of downtime and ample access to scrolls and other spellbooks, you probably won't need it.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-03, 10:38 PM
Pretty sure arcane strike just adds untyped damage.

It's says extra damage. If the type of damage you're doing is dex damage then I believe the extra damage would also be dex damage. It doesn't specify that the extra damage is hp damage.

Vinyl Scratch
2015-04-03, 10:53 PM
Improved Initiative

Yael
2015-04-03, 11:19 PM
Spellcasting Prodigy?

animewatcha
2015-04-03, 11:22 PM
Wasn't there an ask the sage or FAQ thing about this. Whereupon the extra damage would deal negative energy damage or something to separate it from a spell like shivering touch.

DrMotives
2015-04-04, 12:42 AM
For enervate, energy drain, and any other spell that works with negative energy but applies negative levels or ability damage instead of hit point damage, yes. Extra damage from things like sneak attack or ray spell specialization with those touch attack spells is handled as negative energy HP damage, not extra levels or ability damage.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-04, 01:49 AM
For enervate, energy drain, and any other spell that works with negative energy but applies negative levels or ability damage instead of hit point damage, yes. Extra damage from things like sneak attack or ray spell specialization with those touch attack spells is handled as negative energy HP damage, not extra levels or ability damage.

Where is this ruling? What are "things like sneak attack or ray specialization"?

Grooke
2015-04-04, 07:06 AM
I've found Extraordinary Concentration in Complete Adventurer. It basically enables you to cast spells while concentrating on another spell, like Summon Elemental Monolith. What do you think? What other feats are worth mentioning?

First, it is important to note that the rules explicitly say you can't cast a spell while concentrating on another (even if its a swift action). Secondly, and if you still want this, talk to your DM about the Swift Concentration skill trick (Complete Scoundrel) which only costs 2 skill points. The wording allows it to be interpreted two ways:

You concentrate as a swift action for 1 round
You concentrate as a swift action on one spell, for its entire duration

In either case, its usable once per encounter. If your DM allows the second way, its better than the feat.

Pippin
2015-04-04, 07:24 AM
First, it is important to note that the rules explicitly say you can't cast a spell while concentrating on another (even if its a swift action). Secondly, and if you still want this, talk to your DM about the Swift Concentration skill trick (Complete Scoundrel) which only costs 2 skill points. The wording allows it to be interpreted two ways:

You concentrate as a swift action for 1 round
You concentrate as a swift action on one spell, for its entire duration

In either case, its usable once per encounter. If your DM allows the second way, its better than the feat.
Sh*t, you're right. It's not worth it then. :(

1. However, it is my understanding that you do not concentrate on your spell during the same round you cast it. Am I wrong in thinking that I should be allowed to cast a quicken version of the same spell during the same turn, and then concentrate on these two spells for every next round?

Oh well, even so, it's probably not worth the feat...

2. Also, some of you spoke of Improved Familiar. If you had to try and convince me to take that feat, what would be the best things this feat allows that you'd mention?

DarkSonic1337
2015-04-04, 08:40 PM
Where is this ruling? What are "things like sneak attack or ray specialization"?

Where is the ruling that extra damage is automatically of the same type it's applying to? What makes arcane strike NOT just do untyped damage (as it doesn't specify what type of damage it does)?

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-04, 08:45 PM
Where is the ruling that extra damage is automatically of the same type it's applying to? What makes arcane strike NOT just do untyped damage (as it doesn't specify what type of damage it does)?

Is there such a thing as untyped damage? Surely damage has to be of a type right ? Like a weapon does hp damage?

DarkSonic1337
2015-04-04, 08:58 PM
Is there such a thing as untyped damage? Surely damage has to be of a type right ? Like a weapon does hp damage?

Well typically a weapon does slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning damage, as HP damage is not a type as far as I'm aware (but rather damage implicitly reduces HP, with the exception of ability damage with directly states otherwise).

Several spells state they do damage but do not say what type of damage it is (disintegrate, melf's unicorn arrow, hail of stone, doom scarabs, ect) so it's not like untyped damage is not already in the game.

I'm open to other interpretations and if anyone can support an argument to the contrary I'd love to abuse this myself :p.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-04, 09:21 PM
Several spells state they do damage but do not say what type of damage it is (disintegrate, melf's unicorn arrow, hail of stone, doom scarabs, ect) so it's not like untyped damage is not already in the game.

I'm open to other interpretations and if anyone can support an argument to the contrary I'd love to abuse this myself :p.

Is it ever spelled out in the rules that damage defaults to being hp damage if not otherwise specified? Perhaps by RAI spells like you mentioned should deal HP damage but this is never actually substantiated in the rules?

Phelix-Mu
2015-04-04, 09:35 PM
I am itching to use Extra Familiar in a game. Familiars are imho one if the cooler flavor aspects of wizards and can also be excellent strategic assets if chosen and used effectively. It is Dragon Magazine content though, so it won't fly at every table.

DarkSonic1337
2015-04-04, 09:49 PM
Is it ever spelled out in the rules that damage defaults to being hp damage if not otherwise specified? Perhaps by RAI spells like you mentioned should deal HP damage but this is never actually substantiated in the rules?

Strangely, no. And in the course of this I did manage to find the D&D definition of damage (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_damage&alpha=D), but that actually doesn't state what to do when a damage type isn't specified (and says damage type is specified whenever it's relevant).

So all we have left is the assumption that those spells were meant to do lethal damage (of some type not included in subtypes under lethal damage). And for arcane strike that leaves two now fairly equal possibilities

1. The extra damage is lethal damage, like the spells that do damage without listing their types.
2. The extra damage is of the type that it's being added on to.

Note that inspire courage has the same problem with how you handle ability damage, as does any damage bonus that isn't precision damage and isn't typed (Knowledge Devotion).

I'm going to houserule arcane strike (and other cases like this) to simply add untyped lethal damage to things, but I now recognize this is merely my interpretation of a grey area of the rules.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-04, 09:57 PM
Strangely, no. And in the course of this I did manage to find the D&D definition of damage (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_damage&alpha=D), but that actually doesn't state what to do when a damage type isn't specified (and says damage type is specified whenever it's relevant).

Interesting. Very interesting. It looks like we can't definitively say anything about what type of damage certain spells deal.

Phelix-Mu
2015-04-05, 12:55 AM
The structure of that definition paragraph is all over the place, and could use a bit of formatting to make it less textwall-ish. I kind of wonder, cause I would have thought that some kind of English major of some kind would have been on staff and been on top of this kind of thing. Or a math major that recognized the need for rigorous definitions and consistent use of defined terms.

Fizban
2015-04-05, 07:51 AM
Player's Guide to Eberron has a few nice feats that apply whenever you cast certain spells. One of them lets you either remove randomness by taking half of maximum damage (slightly less than average), or increase randomness by rolling a die to nudge your spell DC up or down, and you can do either on any spell for free.

Bronk
2015-04-05, 01:31 PM

It's because 'Arcane Strike' specifies that it adds a bonus to hit and extra damage only to melee weapons, unarmed strike, or natural weapons, not spells. Because of that, the extra damage is extra damage from the weapon. It also mentions that in the example that goes with the feat in Complete Warrior p96.

The rules for weapon-like spells and how they apply their extra damage for critical hits and extra damage for sneak attacks are in Complete Arcane p85-86.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-05, 02:02 PM
It's because 'Arcane Strike' specifies that it adds a bonus to hit and extra damage only to melee weapons, unarmed strike, or natural weapons, not spells. Because of that, the extra damage is extra damage from the weapon. It also mentions that in the example that goes with the feat in Complete Warrior p96.

The rules for weapon-like spells and how they apply their extra damage for critical hits and extra damage for sneak attacks are in Complete Arcane p85-86.

I don't believe that arcane strike only adds damage to melee weapons, unarmed strikes, or natural weapons.

Benefit: When you activate this feat (a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity), you can channel arcane energy into a melee weapon, your unarmed strike, or natural weapons. You must sacrifice one of your spells for the day (of 1st level or higher) to do this, but you gain a bonus on all your attack tolls for 1 round equal to the level of the spell sacrificed, as well as extra damage equal to 1d4 points x the level of the spell sacrificed. The bonus you add to your attack rolls from this feat cannot be greater than your base attack bonus.
For example, Yarren the bladesinger has a base attack bonus of +11 and the ability to cast 4th-level arcane spells. On his turn, he chooses to sacrifice one of his 4th-level spells for the day, marking it off as if he had cast it. Until his next turn, Yarren gains an extra +4 bonus on his attack rolls and an extra 4d4 points of damage with a single melee weapon of his choice (his rapier).

As you can see, it's says that you channel the arcane energy into a melee weapon, an unarmed strike or natural weapon but nowhere does it state that the extra damage only applies to weapons unarmed strikes or natural attacks.

Bronk
2015-04-05, 02:54 PM
I don't believe that arcane strike only adds damage to melee weapons, unarmed strikes, or natural weapons.

As you can see, it's says that you channel the arcane energy into a melee weapon, an unarmed strike or natural weapon but nowhere does it state that the extra damage only applies to weapons unarmed strikes or natural attacks.

I did see that. That's the entire feat, and both it and the example are pretty clear cut about listing out the things that it does.

It doesn't even mention spells, so you'd have a hard time even applying it to weapon-like melee spells. Someone mentioned using it on area affect spells up above, but those aren't even weapon-like.

Pippin
2015-04-05, 04:19 PM
Player's Guide to Eberron has a few nice feats that apply whenever you cast certain spells. One of them lets you either remove randomness by taking half of maximum damage (slightly less than average), or increase randomness by rolling a die to nudge your spell DC up or down, and you can do either on any spell for free.
I didn't know this feat so I looked it up and its name is mastery of chaos and order, page 125. It's an interesting feat but there's no way to actually make 6 everytime with the d6. Also, if you roll a 1 or 2, you wish you hadn't used the feat at all...

Another interesting feat I noticed in the same book is mastery of the silver void, page 126, which allows you to spontaneously apply the Quicken Spell metamagic feat to any conjuration (teleportation) spell you cast, three times per day, at a -9 CL penalty. The only suitable candidate (relevant to combat) for this feat that I know is maze, but well, it requires an SR check.

Grooke
2015-04-05, 04:26 PM
All tactical teleports can be useful in combat, though I agree the limit is harsh. At that rate I'd rather go Spontaneous Quicken for 1/day with no school restriction.

Jormengand
2015-04-05, 04:45 PM
If you're a horrible person, take Miser with Magic (KoKPG). Listed as a metamagic feat for no good reason, but basically it means that if you optimise your spellcraft you never run out of spells. Ever.

Well, okay, it runs out after a couple of uses, but still.

Grooke
2015-04-05, 05:15 PM
I second that, but KoK is 3rd party.

Pippin
2015-04-05, 05:43 PM
If you're a horrible person, take Miser with Magic (KoKPG). Listed as a metamagic feat for no good reason, but basically it means that if you optimise your spellcraft you never run out of spells. Ever.

Well, okay, it runs out after a couple of uses, but still.
I'd say there are two kinds of unbalanced feats. Feats of the first kind are excellent and allow awesome combos. Feats of the second kind are so excellent that they wreck the game. The one you mentioned most likely belongs to the second group, so it's unlikely your DM allows it.

I had heard of it before, but it's so unbalanced I don't consider taking it. It's not fun either.

The Viscount
2015-04-05, 07:05 PM
Obtain Familiar is actually pretty useful for a Wizard, because it allows you to trade your familiar for an awesome ability like Abrupt Jaunt, then get the familiar back with abilities that now scale based on all arcane casting class levels, meaning you can PrC out freely and still have a useful familiar.