PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Druid/Fist of the Forest build?

Jarmen4u
2015-04-03, 05:09 PM
Hey all!

I'm currently working on a Druid build that incorporates FotF as a multiclass. Looking over the prereqs and such, it seems like it might require a bit of an investment just to get the three levels of the class.

Are there any Druid builds already out there that use FotF? I haven't really been able to find any, but then again I'm not the greatest at google-fu. I don't mind using Improved Unarmed, as it would be a decent source of nonmagical damage when I'm not in Wild Shape, but the Power Attack kind of ruins me, esp. as I don't have the strength required for it yet.

Any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated!

Blackhawk748
2015-04-03, 05:17 PM
Hey all!

I'm currently working on a Druid build that incorporates FotF as a multiclass. Looking over the prereqs and such, it seems like it might require a bit of an investment just to get the three levels of the class.

Are there any Druid builds already out there that use FotF? I haven't really been able to find any, but then again I'm not the greatest at google-fu. I don't mind using Improved Unarmed, as it would be a decent source of nonmagical damage when I'm not in Wild Shape, but the Power Attack kind of ruins me, esp. as I don't have the strength required for it yet.

Any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated!

Well you could make Power Attack your 6th lvl feat as you will meet the pre reqs when your Wild Shaped, you simply cant use the Feat when your Str is below 13. Honestly ive always thought it was a weird feat for that class.

Kennisiou
2015-04-03, 11:37 PM
It's worth noting that natural attacks and manufactured weapon attacks can be used together. If you have a sword and also a bite attack, you can make a full attack with your total routine with the sword, then follow up with a natural attack with all your natural weapons that aren't in hands occupied by manufactured weapons at a -5 penalty (so the bite attack, in this instance). I bring this up because unarmed strikes use the manufactured weapon attack routine when you fight with them, which is why power attack is so good for fist of the forest. You wildshape into a bear or something,full attack with unarmed strikes (power attacking for a reasonable number that will let you hit most of your follow up attacks), then follow up with an attack with each of your natural weapons. You get to be a badass bear monk, and power attack makes you a much better badass bear monk.

Jarmen4u
2015-04-04, 02:23 AM
It's worth noting that natural attacks and manufactured weapon attacks can be used together. If you have a sword and also a bite attack, you can make a full attack with your total routine with the sword, then follow up with a natural attack with all your natural weapons that aren't in hands occupied by manufactured weapons at a -5 penalty (so the bite attack, in this instance). I bring this up because unarmed strikes use the manufactured weapon attack routine when you fight with them, which is why power attack is so good for fist of the forest. You wildshape into a bear or something,full attack with unarmed strikes (power attacking for a reasonable number that will let you hit most of your follow up attacks), then follow up with an attack with each of your natural weapons. You get to be a badass bear monk, and power attack makes you a much better badass bear monk.

So in your bear scenario, would you be making a full attack using "unarmed strike" with one hand(claw), then your natural weapons would be your other claw and a bite? Or am I reading that wrong? Either way, that seems very useful.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-04, 03:17 AM
So in your bear scenario, would you be making a full attack using "unarmed strike" with one hand(claw), then your natural weapons would be your other claw and a bite? Or am I reading that wrong? Either way, that seems very useful.

A monk (or someone else with the relevant unarmed strike feature) can make unarmed strikes with other body parts, so you can make secondary attacks with all your natural weapons.
So as a bear that would be your iteratives with unarmed strike and then claw/claw/bite at -5.

Kennisiou
2015-04-04, 04:00 AM
A monk (or someone else with the relevant unarmed strike feature) can make unarmed strikes with other body parts, so you can make secondary attacks with all your natural weapons.
So as a bear that would be your iteratives with unarmed strike and then claw/claw/bite at -5.

^^This. If you're having trouble imagining what that looks like, imagine the bear is doing muay thai, striking mostly with elbows and knees, although using fists doesn't preclude using those same fists to use a claw attack later, either. In fact, even attacking with a weapon in a hand doesn't necessarily preclude using that hand to make a natural weapon (claw) or natural weapon (slam) attack later, since it's a free action to take a hand off a weapon or to switch your weapon between hands, so you can attack with a greatsword, pull one hand off, claw, put the hand back on, take the other hand off, claw again all during a full attack action (may not actually be RAW, but pretty sure you can take free actions during full round actions and full attack actions).

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-04, 05:25 AM
^^This. If you're having trouble imagining what that looks like, imagine the bear is doing muay thai, striking mostly with elbows and knees, although using fists doesn't preclude using those same fists to use a claw attack later, either. In fact, even attacking with a weapon in a hand doesn't necessarily preclude using that hand to make a natural weapon (claw) or natural weapon (slam) attack later, since it's a free action to take a hand off a weapon or to switch your weapon between hands, so you can attack with a greatsword, pull one hand off, claw, put the hand back on, take the other hand off, claw again all during a full attack action (may not actually be RAW, but pretty sure you can take free actions during full round actions and full attack actions).

In the case of the bear i'd probably go with headbutts and bodyslams instead of knee/elbow strikes (unless your campaign is pretty high on the humor scale, anyway).:smalltongue:

Mr Adventurer
2015-04-04, 07:30 AM
The Druid/Rogue in my game is already an acrobatic backstabbing Bloodstriker... :/

Jarmen4u
2015-04-08, 04:23 PM
As an additional question, how does the Feral Trance feature work with Wild Shape. Can I use them at the same time? Would I have to Wild Shape before using the Trance to get them both?

Jarmen4u
2015-04-09, 10:09 PM
bump for great justice

Darrin
2015-04-10, 05:17 AM
As an additional question, how does the Feral Trance feature work with Wild Shape. Can I use them at the same time? Would I have to Wild Shape before using the Trance to get them both?

Yes, you can use Feral Trance while wildshaped. The bonuses from Feral Trance are untyped, so they stack with whatever stats you have in wild shape. The bite attack is a little odd, particularly if you already have a bite attack. By RAW, you get the extra bite attack on any full attack, but it's not a primary/secondary attack... so it looks like even if you make a bite attack as part of your wild shape form, you still get the Feral Trance bite as an extra attack. The damage is set to 1d6 + Str mod, regardless of size. However, I can see where some DMs might rule that if you already have overlapping bite damage, then the bigger damage die takes precedence.