PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Feat selection Factotum / Fortune's Friend for a Faerun / Flavor-based campaign

badgerman
2015-04-03, 07:17 PM
Need some help to create my character please.

Books allowed: PH1, all of the Complete..., Dungeonscape, Cityscape, Races of ..., all Forgotten Realms "Faerun", Sandstorm, Shipwreck, Frostburn.

Will be a group of 3 characters: Dwarven Tank, Gnomish arcane spellcaster and me a Human skillmonkey.

- there won't be that many combats, expect 1 to 2 encounters a session maybe some sessions without an encounter maybe some more in the final chapter of the adventures.
- there will be more flavor, like tavern mini games and storytelling and playing tricks at each other and the npcs

I think the two other characters won't be very min-maxing. So the ideal route for my feats should be flexible to react on the development of the other characters. Don't want to be the guy who only carries the loot and either don't want my buddies to be them.
So, would be nice to have the choice to select a feat to boost my effectiveness a bit on the one hand and one to give the others the chance to catch up with me if necessary (don't expect that happens to often :smallsmile:)one the other hand.
Therefore I beg you for help.

Information about the setting: starting north of Waterdeep, but there's no need for the characters to make it their origin.

OK there's one rule of our DM I should mention. It's about multiclassing. We are allowed to multiclass with as many basic-classes as we want (of course with xp-penalties as in the rules), but if we take a prestige class, we have to take all their levels before we are allowed to take another prestige class.
For example: If I've a factotum 5/fortune's friend 1, at next level advancement I am allowed to take a level factotum, cleric, spellthief etc. and fortune's friend but no prestige class like for example the chameleon. If I reach factotum 5 / fortune's friend 5, I am allowed to take everything I want (have to meet the prerequisites).

I try to create a character, improvising his way through life. Trial an error when fighting, using as many things (like furniture, puddles, dirt...)as possible to surprise the enemies.
Therefore I don't want to take feats which pin me to always act the same way in combat.
The idea is to be able for example to trip an opponent or disarm him, etc. not all the time but at least once if the need is the greatest.
Hopefully inspiration and luck will help me to reach that aim.

I started to create the character as you can see below.

Race: Human (because of the background-story already written)
Class: Factotum
Prestige class: Fortune's Friend (I like the luck concept)

Abilities (30points, no starting value above 16)
STR: 14
DEX: 14
CON: 12
INT: 16
WIS: 10 (thinking about switching this and STR and dip in one level Ceric)
CHA: 10

Feats:
Human Bonus: Luck of the Heroes (FR:PGtF p.40)
1st: Lucky Start (CSco p.79)
3rd: ???
6th: Fortuitous Strike (CSco p.77)
Fortune's Friend Bonus: Unbelievable Luck (CSco p.82)
9th: Knowledge Devotion (CCp.60)
Fortune's Friend Bonus: Make Your Own Luck (CSco p.79)
12th: ???

Thought about taking Combat Expertise at 3rd, Power Attack at 12th and Able Learner at 1st (no Luck of Heroes then) to make my way to chameleon lvl 2 at 12th or 13th level. Chameleon "Bonus-Feat" could fit well with my targets.

I am looking forward to your ideas.
Thanks a lot