PDA

View Full Version : Monster hd and class levels as gestalt

Caarcus
2015-04-03, 07:41 PM
Ok so as a new dm and player. As a gestalt character can you level a class along side a monster class like vampire spawn like you would when leveling two classes

Flickerdart
2015-04-03, 07:52 PM
Ok so as a new dm and player. As a gestalt character can you level a class along side a monster class like vampire spawn like you would when leveling two classes
Yes. A monster class is identical to a regular character class in every respect (except the things you gain are not actually class levels).

A common (but AFAIK not rules-legal) approach to making monster classes suck less is letting a PC run it on both sides of the gestalt, thus taking half the normal amount of levels to complete. Since most monster classes have over-inflated LA and RHD, this usually will not result in an unbalanced character.

Caarcus
2015-04-03, 07:56 PM
So one of my players wants to play a nymph which is a level adjustment of 7 with 6 rhd how many class levels would they get along side of this?

sideswipe
2015-04-03, 08:11 PM
So one of my players wants to play a nymph which is a level adjustment of 7 with 6 rhd how many class levels would they get along side of this?

that entirely depends on the level.

if your doing it as a savage progression (an actual class that gives at the end everything a nymph would have) then they would be level 13 when they finish.

so if its on one side you have

savage progression 13 (RHD 6/ LA 7) // 13 class levels as a level 13 character

if you use it on both sides you can have it as a level 7 character
RHD 6/ class 1 // LA 7

both can be played from level 1, the first gives classes right off the bat but you are not a full nymph with all abilities until level 13
the second is only class levels from level 7 but you are a full nymph by level 7.

if you are not doing savage progression you have to start at level 7 or 13 as detailed above.

understand how savage progressions work before deciding.

Flickerdart
2015-04-03, 08:48 PM
Nymphs have built-in Druid casting so I would hesitate to allow it to be split on both sides.

So they would take 13 levels of Nymph on one side, and 13 levels in a regular class on the other.

Jack_Simth
2015-04-03, 10:25 PM
Nymphs have built-in Druid casting so I would hesitate to allow it to be split on both sides.

Split Gestalt Nymph as a 7th level character vs. a human Druid as a 7th level character (assuming you 'pad' that 'extra' level with a fey hit die):
+Some stat boosts (+6 dex, +2 con, +6 int, +6 wis, +8 cha)
+Swim speed (also +8 Racial Swim, take 10 on swim checks)
+Blinding Beauty
+1/day Dimension Door
+Stunning Glance
+Unearthly Grace
+DR 10/Cold Iron
+Low-light vision
+1 skill point/level (fey HD are 6 skill points/level, druid are 4 skill points/level, human bonus skills are 1 point/level)
-1 hp/level (d6 vs. d8)
-Wildshape (3/day)
-Animal Companion
-Nature Sense
-Woodland Stride
-Resist Nature's Lure
-Good Fort save
-One Human Bonus feat
-2 points of BAB

Both cast as 7th level Druids, both get Wild Empathy, both have 7 hit dice. Note that in the listing above, I'm ignoring the effects of the altered ability scores.

However, that's comparing a 1 HD-advanced Nymph to a Druid-7. This is Gestalt, however, so let's put something ECL 7 on the other side for the Druid. Maybe... Phrenic (LA+2), Half-Fey (LA+2), Half-Dragon (LA+3).
Abilities: +8 Str +2 Dex +0 Con +4 Int +4 Wis +10 Cha
16 spell or psi-like abilities
Immunity to one element
Fly 60 (Good)
+4 Natural Armor
Three natural weapons (claw/claw/bite)
1/day Breath Weapon

So which is better: The Human Druid-7//Phrenic Half-fey Half-dragon, or the Nymph/Something-1 ?