PDA

View Full Version : The Gnome's Solution

Rhunder
2015-04-03, 10:15 PM
You find yourself in nicely decorated dining hall. After a great night's rest and a delicious breakfast, your host, the gnome lord Sinbis, greets the odd collection of adventurers for the first time. "Hello, hello. I am Lord Sinbis. I have a small, delicate matter that Im willing to spend a small fortune to resolve." The gnome pauses as he looks over the newly formed party. "Warriz, this is an odd group." spoken as if you wasn't in the room.

Warriz is the servant and closest friend of Sinbis. He has personally recruited you and served you as honored guests of Sinbis while neglecting full disclosure but continued to express the promise of wealth and honor for helping the gnome lord. He finally responds after a long exhale and inhale of breath, "My lord, these men are promising men with true potential and no ties directly to you." Warriz almost seemed prideful of his answer.

"Yes, yes. That is important. To the north, I have been invaded. My land that is. Gnomes in small villages are being harassed, plunder, and killed. I need the needless attacks ceased, neutralize, stopped, halted, and concluded immediately. I will pay you each 500gp for stopping each set of brigands. Warriz will be accompanying you north to take note, inventory, register, record, and document the enemies." The lord spoke quickly and redundantly, never making eye contact, and constantly pacing in front of his lit fireplace. Despite the morning sun shining into the dining hall, light was dim besides the fireplace as you are in a tall tower of a small castle.

Warriz stepped forward "I know most of this is sudden and seems vague, but I promise to answer any questions I can-" Sinbis cuts him off, "Within reason, of course Warriz, within reason." Warriz simply nodded in agreement.

Illven
2015-04-03, 10:35 PM
Rose reclines on the wall.

How many bandits do you expect there to be? She asks.

Rhunder
2015-04-03, 10:43 PM
"The numbers seem to vary, at times we hear about 8. Others times the number reach 200. I don't expect their numbers to be nearly that many. They will often attack in no more than a dozen or so. We only need you to stop the attacks which after a couple failed attempts they will return to their master in the north." Warriz answered certainly.

meltodowno
2015-04-03, 10:51 PM
Nak-Nak stopped chewing on the napkin to look across at Lord Sinbis.

"Nak-Nak thinks Warriz is smart-smart! Nobody would ever consider you hire Nak-Nak. Gnome's are not usually known for their excellent taste in mercenaries!"

He looked over the other attendees.

"Nak-Nak does agree to your fee, but Nak-Nak wants rights to spoils also. Also, Nak-Nak wants parcel of land in liberated area."

He reasoned the lord had little to lose from his final condition - either they would be successful and a small holding would be of little consequence, or they would fail and the promise would be moot.

"Also, Nak-Nak would like map of area, and known attacks and the times they were committed. Best hit where the iron is hot."

Rhunder
2015-04-03, 11:08 PM
Warriz responded to Nak-Nak, "Spoils will belong to you to divide as you like and-" Again Warriz was cut off. "You want land?!" Sinbis was in a near rage, "I need discretion and you want land. You-"
"My lord, if I may?" Warriz interjected before Sinbis ranted. The gnome lord nodded before Warriz continued, "We cant offer you land here in this region to the north, but we may be able to offer all of you coastal lands to the south. If and when this is successful. As for your map, I will provide that to you upon our arrival of the Buckled Trough Inn." Sinbis seemed in agreement to this easy fix.

Eonn
2015-04-03, 11:34 PM
Kerin was lounging lazily in a chair by a window as Sinbis addresses the group. He gazes out the aputure, seemingly more interested in the view than the conversation around him.

"If one is not powerful enough to protect his own territory," Kerin muses aloud, "they should not be surprising when the strong contest it."

Sitting up and turning to Sinbis, he grins wide before continuing.

"But I suppose that's why we've been gathered. That being said, you can't believe we are going to charge into battle with the scraps of information you've feed us. Who is attacking you? Why? Who commands them? Who arms them, feeds them? What kind of manpower do they have? How many casters are amongst their ranks?"

Kerin reclines once again, eyes once again traveling toward the window.

"I'd like to hear more of this land parcel. Though I'm surprised it was the one who just devoured a napkin who suggested it."

Rhunder
2015-04-03, 11:42 PM
Warriz calmly addressed the group despite his master Sinbis' face being flushed with anger, "That's where it gets complicated. im not sure foreigners will understand gnome politics. But Ill try to explain, You see a rival lord has hired mercenaries to raid and plunder my lord's lands. The king would never allow open war to be declared. The mercenaries were publicly hired by the king's nephew Gollud. Attacking these men would be the same as attacking the lord, but mercenaries aren't always needed to be controlled or held responsible." Warriz paused to read the reactions before changing subjects, "As for the land, it'll be a small bit of coastal land no larger than a homestead for you to divide as you see fit. The exact size and plot of land will be determined later."

Illven
2015-04-04, 12:00 AM
Warriz calmly addressed the group despite his master Sinbis' face being flushed with anger, "That's where it gets complicated. im not sure foreigners will understand gnome politics. But Ill try to explain, You see a rival lord has hired mercenaries to raid and plunder my lord's lands. The king would never allow open war to be declared. The mercenaries were publicly hired by the king's nephew Gollud. Attacking these men would be the same as attacking the lord, but mercenaries aren't always needed to be controlled or held responsible." Warriz paused to read the reactions before changing subjects, "As for the land, it'll be a small bit of coastal land no larger than a homestead for you to divide as you see fit. The exact size and plot of land will be determined later."

So if we attack them, we may be declaring war on the gnomish nation?

Rhunder
2015-04-04, 12:09 AM
"So few are not declaring war," Warriz answered, "You would not be recognized as a force or nation. You would be travelers, raiders, bandits, do gooders, or whatever you want to call yourselves simply defending yourself and innocent villagers." Sinbis smiled at Warriz's explanation.

Illven
2015-04-04, 12:17 AM
Ah. Rose nodded. Well as long as you can promise no dragons are involved, I'm game. She says trying to project an air of confidence.

meltodowno
2015-04-04, 09:11 AM
Nak-Nak nodded.

"Nak-Nak hear there are 3 types of mercs. Discreet mercs, dead mercs and crispy mercs. You want us fight dragon, you need more coin-coin."

He reclined back, clearly satisfied with his breakfast.

"Humanoids not problem for Nak-Nak though! Nak-nak help!"

He smiled as best he could despite his lack of lips.

JanusJones
2015-04-04, 01:04 PM
The entire time, the strange, expressionless goblin has been crouched over Nak-Nak, eyes following the speakers, cocking his head from side to side. Anyone paying close attention would notice his strange, pale blue eyes - almost white - haven't blinked once.

... But when Sinbis raised his voice at the tiny lizard, the thing's gangly arms twitched, almost spasmodically, and his head darted forward a little, lips pulling back from his long teeth ...

... and retracted again when the conversation settled, one leg on either side of the little creature doing most of the talking.

Eonn
2015-04-04, 04:35 PM
"The pay seems to be good enough. Very well, I shall assist." Kerin says, standing from his seat.

tonberryking
2015-04-04, 09:35 PM
One Mercenary has been speechless, but not silent, seemingly more interested in eating through a head of cabbage and a couple apples for breakfast rather than brokering a better deal for herself and her allies. The term ally may be tenuous, however, as she looks at Kerin as one would regard a rude house guest once or twice.

She is striking, not because she wore a sword to the table, but because she is an overgrown bunny wearing armor who brought a sword to the table. The cream brown lapin (named Lapis) wipes her mouth, opens her deep deep blue eyes to fixate on the gnomes.

"Hm, yes. How many villages within your domain are we to patrol? Even for a handful of them, the reward is nothing to scoff at, and while I'd ask if each of us get a plot of coastal land, or we're to split one large tract, there is one thing that concerns me more."

She pauses for a moment, her eyes sparkling while forming her next worded assault.

"You make it sound as if our employment with you, Sir, is something of a discretion. Are we to act as if we were out on a stroll,un affiliated with yourself? Because I worry that if we fend off brigands under the flag of another lord, that lord may take offense and try to have us arrested. What protection under the law can you offer us once we've dealt with these varlets?"

Rhunder
2015-04-05, 11:18 AM
Warriz looked calmly once more, "We can easily deny your employment with us, but can reward heroes of the land. Essentially, we are setting you up as a hero to be instead of waiting for someone to step up." Warriz pauses to grab his lord a drink. "As for the land, we will discuss the exact land later. Once you are a land owner in our county, you have several rights and will be under our Lord's protection against any formal army. How does this sound to everyone?"

Eonn
2015-04-05, 11:38 AM
"Like I said, the pay seems fair. All the better if we don't have an army after us."

Rhunder
2015-04-05, 04:02 PM
"We really need to get moving." Warriz started excusing the new party away from his lord's dining hall. "Any other questions Ill happily answer along the way. But we must be heading to the Buckled Trough." He left you at the castle's entrance while he mounted his horse.

Returning after a moment, he lead a small pony to ride in front of you on the 5 hour journey to the tavern. Allowing you to get to know each other while answering your questions as well.

Eonn
2015-04-05, 06:30 PM
Kerin approaches his chosen mount and lightly pats it's nose.

"Oh, little horsy, be glad my friend has chosen not to accompany me." Kerin whispers to the animal. "He finds morsels like you oh so delicious."

Kerin then mounts the unnerved animal. He then calls out to the others,

"Well then, shall we be off?"

meltodowno
2015-04-06, 03:10 AM
Nak-Nak took a ration bar from his bag and split it in half, offering Fiddler the other half. He didn't have much in this world, but what he did have he shared openly.

"Nak-Nak happy walk?" he offered, knowing Fiddler would likely insist otherwise.

As they got underway, Nak-Nak regarded the others they were with and decided it was time to introduce himself. He pounded his fist on his chest.

"Me Nak-Nak. Happy to have good companions, yes! Fid-Fid, introduce self. Is polite."

JanusJones
2015-04-06, 07:57 AM
The goblin pauses with half a ration bar stuck into its mouth. Its head twitches sideways, and there's an audible crack of its neck. The ration bar disappears in a single, convulsive gulp.

"F ... Fiddler. Like the spider."

meltodowno
2015-04-06, 08:34 AM
"Fun fiddler spider trivia! In the wild, Fiddler spiders can grow up to 80ft tall and smash buildings with a sweep of their mighty legs."

Nak-nak said as he nodded knowingly.

Eonn
2015-04-06, 11:16 AM
"There are many things I want to see in this world, and an 80' spider is not one of them."

Kerin says, shaking his head.

"Anyways, my name is Kerin."

I activate my senses aura, giving all allies within 30' of me +1 to listen, spot and initiative checks.

meltodowno
2015-04-06, 12:01 PM
Nak-Nak reclines and his eyes widen and pupils dilate, as unexpectedly his senses heighten.

"What they put in napkins here?"

Illven
2015-04-06, 12:05 PM
Not 80 feet tall spiders. Rose snarked.

meltodowno
2015-04-06, 01:11 PM
"Nak-Nak think that good to know!"

He chuckled.

"Nak-Nak think they'd struggle to fit them in anyhow."

Eonn
2015-04-06, 01:35 PM
"Sorry Nak-Nak, I believe the effect you are experiencing was caused by me. You see, my speciality is auras. They're nothing that will win a fight by themselves, but their effects are reliable and constant."

tonberryking
2015-04-06, 05:45 PM
Picking at her teeth with a long stem of grass (and subsequently munching on it along the walk) Lapis doesn't make much small talk at first, just running her right palm over the sword hilt on her side. She twitches her long ears at the chat, but doesn't seem to be asking herself why she's rolling with people obsessed with spiders..or she's just got a really good poker face.

"So, are we to find our own lodgings at this village?" she eventually asks, minutes or even hours into their journey.

Rhunder
2015-04-06, 06:29 PM
As you spot the first building since the castle, a beautiful lone tavern, Warriz answers Lapis "I am finding my lodgings at the tavern. You will be riding north and stopping the attacks as agreed. After each battle please come back here." Warriz unloads his horse under the noon sun and hands the map to the group, "Please be careful, these people will need you or all out war will be waged. Where you go from here is up to you."

http://oi59.tinypic.com/zvvrs8.jpg

tonberryking
2015-04-07, 07:53 PM
After a brief pause, waiting to see who else goes for the bait, Lapis gingerly plucks the map away and holds it out while gazing across it. She assumes it'll be up to her to assume 'leadership' for the moment. Eyes dart over its surface, her ears twitch, but as to be expected she doesn't seem to say much... until:

"From these crossroads here, we should march to the northwest, out into the furthest outreach, only to loop back around towards this fortified village here." she pokes the map in three places. "Does anyone disagree?"

Eonn
2015-04-07, 08:03 PM
"Sounds good to me." Kerin says, spinning a sai around his finger. "Let's go bust some skulls!"

meltodowno
2015-04-08, 02:18 AM
"Nak-Nak see no problem with plan. We best make marching plan too, yes-yes?"

He gestured to Fiddler.

"We best skirmishing round edges, harass prey, get in close... we be outriders yes-yes?"

Part of Nak-Nak just wanted to not be directly at the front of the fight, as he didn't want to be a focus of the enemies attentions, but he knew that due to their smaller size, and Fiddlers capacities, they were best harassing flanks and attacking from unconsidered directions.

Plus they were somewhat self sufficient.

tonberryking
2015-04-08, 09:41 AM
"Yes, of course. I will take point in front of you. How else shall the rest of you situate yourselves?"

Eonn
2015-04-08, 11:05 AM
"I'll be best off in the front, though my auras do have a limited range. Try to stay within 30 feet of me if you want the benefit."

JanusJones
2015-04-08, 06:22 PM
The awkwardly shaped goblin ***** its head from side to side, following each exchange. It hesitates, then stoops ... arms lengthen, and there's a cracking sound like a cascade of popping joints, fingers elongate, and jaw splits ...

... the thing that's there when the process is finished is still humanoid. A set of four pale-blue eyes runs up either side of it's face, terminating in a fierce-looking set of mandibles. There's a fine white fur that now covers the creature, which shifts the badoliers of knives criss-crossing it's chest.

The voice is a sibilant thing - almost a whisper.

"I hide. I seek. Nak-Nak is quiet - comes with me. When trouble comes, we strike. Stay close to dragon-man, but hidden."

It looks askance at the tiny lizard, clearly looking for confirmation.

meltodowno
2015-04-08, 06:40 PM
Nak-Nak nods, and excitedly climbs up onto Fiddler's shoulder.

"Sneaky-Sneaky!"

Eonn
2015-04-08, 07:23 PM
The sai Kerin was twirling fell to the ground as he watched Fiddler's transformation. One of his eyebrows raised and his lip twitches into a grimace.

"Well that was... pleasant." He says, trying to keep composed.

Rhunder
2015-04-08, 07:29 PM
Warriz stood in horror for but a brief second, regained his composure. "Now if you'll excuse, I need to make my arrangements." With that Warriz left the bizarre company.

tonberryking
2015-04-08, 10:02 PM
Lapis, given the givens, isn't about to judge someone for being a giant spider. Sure her ears twitch as if a jolt ran up them, but the plucky wabbit doesn't appear too shocked by this turn of events. She even seems okay with it after a moment.

She is, however, still practical: "...Riiiiight. Well, just so, you turn back into your prior form whenever we get within sight of a village, or you stay incognito until the villagers trust us...if you please."

Illven
2015-04-08, 10:25 PM
Rose chuckles.

I think the gnome's almost as scared of us, as the bandits. She jokes.

Eonn
2015-04-08, 11:01 PM
"Honestly, he should be." Kerin scoffs. "We were hired specifically to be stronger than those who have intruded on this pitiful lord's territory. Plus, let's face it, this is a really strange bunch"

meltodowno
2015-04-09, 05:13 AM
"Yes, Nak-Nak agree, strange bunch of bandits. Very inefficient they are!"

He patted his hand on Fiddlers shoulder.

"Not worry Fid-Fid, any villages insult Nak-Nak's friend, Nak-Nak give piece of his mind. And maybe a rock. Probably a rock."

JanusJones
2015-04-09, 05:44 PM
There's a low chittering sound out of Nak-Nak's mount.

It takes someone who knows it to realize Fiddler's chuckling.

The thing lopes off into the underbrush, his tiny lizard companion riding atop him like a Mahout on a gangly, arachnoid elephant.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]
Also ... 60 ft. tremorsense.

Eonn
2015-04-09, 09:10 PM
"Well we're not going to get paid just standing here. Let's get moving!" Kerin says after returning the dropped weapon to his belt.

Rhunder
2015-04-12, 09:26 AM
The ride takes several hours but you manage to reach the town uneventfully as night falls. The town has no walls and is barely lit. The town has only a few buildings. And none have signs to show they are stores or an inn. Only the lively music from the largest building seems to show any activity in all the town.

Make Spot checks and ask any questions you want to know about the town in the OoC.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/e9fe54.jpg

Illven
2015-04-12, 12:05 PM
Spot check

Spot [roll0]

meltodowno
2015-04-12, 03:43 PM
Nak Nak went around the outskirts, looking for anything out of order, and knowing he probably shouldn't be the first person the villagers encounter.

[roll0]

Eonn
2015-04-12, 08:45 PM
Kerin heads north to the outpost, hoping to use the elevation to survey the surroundings. He keeps his eyes peeled for anyone or anything that looks out of place.

Spot:
[roll0]

JanusJones
2015-04-12, 09:53 PM
In the shadows, the gangly-limbed thing lopes along, pale eyes glittering in rows.

It watches the dragon man.

HIDE: [roll0]
MOVE SILENTLY: [roll1]
SPOT: [roll2]
LISTEN: [roll3]

tonberryking
2015-04-13, 11:02 AM
Lapis leads the non stealth members into the town, her ears perked. Kerin takes off before she can assume leadership's role of giving orders, but she only visibly huffs for a moment before it's forgotten. She's not officially in charge, anyway... Glancing up at Rose for a moment, she herds her and anybody else still nearby towards the larger hall where the music comes from.

"Let's ask the locals about the situations they've faced and then regroup with the others. I hope they won't turn us away, but I have a feeling we'll be roughing it outdoors, and not just because these buildings aren't build for our sizes..."

Well, Lapis is fairly short herself but she's probably still towering over the gnome populace, anyway...

Spot//listen check:
[roll0][roll1]

Also, it took us a few hours to get to this place. Would it be okay if Lapis talked with Nak-nak and Fiddler and they decided on a whistle Lapis could make to get their attention if she needed them to come running? Some kind of signal to them?

meltodowno
2015-04-13, 11:25 AM
Nak, sat on Fiddlers shoulder, whispered into his ear.

"Nak-Nak not like this. Villages should be active. Barn is noisy but why no drunks outside peeing in the troughs?"

He shook his head.

"Stay-stay on guard."

I'm fine with that assumption

Rhunder
2015-04-13, 03:56 PM
Despite all the eyes about, none of you spot a thing. The largest building is both elegant and somehow defiant from the other buildings. Its architecture seemed different and even the door was slightly larger, but still small for most of you.

As you approach the building, the music died down quickly and you hear footsteps all around the building. In a flash, you see gnomes along the second floor armed with bows, slings, and crossbows.
"What do you want?!" One out of sight gnome yells out.

Despite the music, footsteps, and shouting, Fiddler hears movement beyond the makeshift hill that is fast paced, afar, and several in numbers.

JanusJones
2015-04-14, 12:38 AM
Fiddler nods to Nak-Nak as he speaks, but then suddenly halts, his white-furred head to one side. A soft hiss escapes through his mandibles.

"We go. Many coming. Hunting ... we hunt them."

In a quick and silent whirl of gangling limbs, he dives into the underbrush.

JanusJones
2015-04-14, 12:55 AM
HIDE: [roll0]
MOVE SILENTLY: [roll1]
SPOT: [roll2]
LISTEN: [roll3]

Eonn
2015-04-14, 11:34 AM
Kerin notices that the music has stopped and the gnomes inside has confronted his allies. Well, most of his allies, as he can not see where Fiddler and Nak-Nak have gone. Deciding that his party will be fine once they explain their intent, he continues heading towards the outpost. He can't shake the feeling of dread that the suddenly silenced town brings. His hand rests on his sais and his previous leisurely walk becomes a hustle.

meltodowno
2015-04-14, 12:32 PM
Nak-Nak bent down low on Fiddlers shoulders as they skulked around.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

Illven
2015-04-14, 04:26 PM
We're just adventurers. Rose calls out.

Where's the nearest tavern. She replies faking obliviousness.

Rhunder
2015-04-17, 07:42 PM
A gnome pushes to the front of the rest and peers out from the second floor balcony.

"Tavern? Don't lie to me child. I will rain down death upon you." The intense stare harsher than the words.

Stop with the good rolls!
Despite the sun being set and darkness across the land. Beyond the hills to the north, Fiddler spots 8 horse mounted, armed men. They are positioning themselves to ride down to the outpost. They are armed with spears and swords and are already wielding them, obviously prepared for battle.

tonberryking
2015-04-20, 09:49 AM
"Are you really afraid of a bunny and a lone human girl?" Lapis dryly asks with her arms crossed, not looking too impressed, and of course, not bringing up she has the capacity to create mind laser swords.

"We've been on our feet all day up until we came this way from the crossroads; surely a fine village has nothing to fear from the likes of us and everything to offer for our weariness? We have coin..."

Trying some good old fashion diplomacy here.

[roll0]

Rhunder
2015-04-21, 08:52 PM
The gnome disappears from the balcony and moments later opens the front door with a trio of armed guards. He is small, even for a gnome, and a great deal older in appearance than how he sounded.

"Cant be too careful these days my visitors." The older gnome extends his arm and opens the door inviting you in. "We have been harassed lately but you may stay if you aren't afraid of defending yourself?" The question was asked as the elder seem to eye every detail of his new visitors.

JanusJones
2015-04-22, 12:58 AM
Stop with the good rolls!
Despite the sun being set and darkness across the land. Beyond the hills to the north, Fiddler spots 8 horse mounted, armed men. They are positioning themselves to ride down to the outpost. They are armed with spears and swords and are already wielding them, obviously prepared for battle.

The soft, sibilant hiss is barely audible, but it's only for the little lizard perched on Fiddler's shoulder.

"Eight men on horses. They go to kill. We kill?"

meltodowno
2015-04-22, 09:54 AM
Nak-Nak readied his weaponry.

"Ok, what about the others? Should warn them ?"

He tried to think of a good plan to warn them without alerting the bandits to their presence, and cursed himself for not coming up with an animal call.

He set himself into the Leading the Charge stance

He shook his head mostly for his own benefit.

"No time. We flank. Counter charge from side - break them up and ruin their over run of Lapis."

He patted Fiddler.

"If Nak-Nak die, please skin and eat killer, ok?"

JanusJones
2015-04-23, 01:20 AM
The thing nods, pale eyes unblinking. It hisses softly.

"Only men die tonight." The mandibles open.

CHEEEYAAAARGE!

Always in Island of Blades, so both of us are +2 to hit as we count as flanking the foes. Charge means a +2 to hit, -2 AC.
AC: 23
Swift Action: Burning Blade (+1d6+1 fire damage) (Wind Stride for a 100 ft. charge, if necessary to reach targets)
Charge 80 ft. (double move); Jump (if needed to reach targets, or just for style points): [roll]1d20+29[roll]
Attack, Crit 1 (19-20): [roll0], [roll1]
Damage, Crit 1: [roll]1d3+7[roll], [roll]1d3+7[roll], burning blade [roll2] (ignore if foes were far enough away to require Wind Stride to reach)

JanusJones
2015-04-23, 01:21 AM
Damage, Crit: [roll0], [roll1]

meltodowno
2015-04-23, 01:53 AM
Nak-Nak bowed down low as Fiddler charged in, before letting loose his weapon on the enemies they charged into with a not quite so frightening battle squeal.

Leading the Charge from me, Island of Blades from Fiddler for flanking

Using Steel Wind to Attack two enemies if at all possible (to cause maximum panic/shock and awe in so much as a tiny muckdweller can)

Attack 1
Attack roll: 1d20+10[
Damage: 2 + [roll0]
=8

Attack 2
Attack roll: 1d20+10[
Damage: 2 + [roll1]
=7

meltodowno
2015-04-23, 01:54 AM
1 [roll0]
2 [roll1]