PDA

View Full Version : Player Help New Character - core rules

Stygofthedump
2015-04-04, 12:07 AM
Just lost my lv 9 druid. Even though there are level 11 characters in party he was still pretty much the most useful, Down to level 8 when others are likely to level to 12 isn't really going to be cool though.
we have a 1/10 fighter rogue, 9 wizard, 11 bard, and a now dead druid and dead arcane archer.

Any ideas what we should play? We allow new characters to come back at -0.5xp level of lowest party member, so in this case probably end up lv 10.

I am considering Horizon tripper but lack of good gear is a problem..
Maybe recommend my friend tries luck/travel cleric?

Fighting giants is a problem, they hit hard and we don't like to slow down combat too many with summons.

Any Core only ideas welcome!

Troacctid
2015-04-04, 12:33 AM
I'm definitely a fan of the Luck/Travel Cleric in Core-only, and your party is lacking a divine caster. Seems like a solid choice.

RedMage125
2015-04-04, 02:52 AM
I'm going to second the Luck/Travel cleric.

As that covers your "divine caster" base, let me say that I have played Barbarians in Core-only games and they turned out to be pretty fun. High hit points might help against those giants, too. Especially if you go dwarf barbarian and get that +4 dodge bonus to AC against them.

Lerondiel
2015-04-04, 03:50 AM
I feel your pain losing the Druid...how did the party get split by two levels?

Personally I'd hang onto the character (8th lvl PCs get approx triple the XP of 12th so youd be 11th around the same time they hit 13th) ......but I'm very biased toward Druids :)

Yes, you're in desperate need of a cleric but you're also running short on a warrior. Not one of the characters has the AC or HP to stand in front of a giant for more than a few seconds. With core only rules, party survival would go up a long way with a paladin.

For broader ideas for fighting giants it otherwise comes down to your arcane casters.
Hopefully the bard has Charm Monster or Confusion to throw down.
The Wizard is the key of course with attacks against Will saves like Mind Fog/Hold Monster, battlefield control like Wall of Force & Solid Fog, and buffs like Grt Invisibility on the rogue

Stygofthedump
2015-04-04, 03:16 PM
Yes magic jar is a mainstay but bard tends to be a wand blaster/buffer. I'm thinking dwarf horizon walker, or keep Druid.
Thanks

Spore
2015-04-04, 06:16 PM
Yet another group perfect for the Oradin. Paladin 7/Oracle of Life 3.

Troacctid
2015-04-04, 06:22 PM
Yes, you're in desperate need of a cleric but you're also running short on a warrior. Not one of the characters has the AC or HP to stand in front of a giant for more than a few seconds.

Clerics have d8 hit dice and heavy armor. Plus magic vestment. Their AC and HP are just as good as a Paladin's, if not better.

Stygofthedump
2015-04-04, 09:31 PM
Also coreOnly game