PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Sharing a spell combo

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-04, 12:45 AM
Im picking out all my spells for this wizard I made, and I noticed a rather nice combo that I am sure is already known by many, but is fun, balanced, and not terribly OP either.

MIGHTY WALLOP spell from RoTD pg 114, this spell increase the damage of a blunt weapon by one step without increasing its size or weight. The range is touch and it lasts a fairly long time.

Enlarge Weapon from CS pg97 increases the size of the touched weapon by one step without any of the penalty's from using a larger weapon. It does not stack if any other effect has caused it to increase in size magically already.

So if you where to have a guy with powerful build, who is already large, wielding a huge blunt weapon like a Greatclub, You would be wielding a Gargantuan Weapon as far as damage goes. I think that is a nice 4d8 damage on top of whatever str and weapon mods your BSF or gish may have.

If there is any flaw in this combo please let me know

I hope this combo helps add a little fun to someones game :)

A_S
2015-04-04, 01:19 AM
Note that there's also a Greater Mighty Wallop spell that increases damage by multiple size categories.

On the scale of "impressive things spellcasters can do in D&D," I'm sure you already know that "rolling a lot of dice when you hit somebody with a big stick" is not much to write home about. But yeah, it's a thing.

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-04, 10:57 AM
Note that there's also a Greater Mighty Wallop spell that increases damage by multiple size categories.

On the scale of "impressive things spellcasters can do in D&D," I'm sure you already know that "rolling a lot of dice when you hit somebody with a big stick" is not much to write home about. But yeah, it's a thing.

right right, but this is very low level, and can be used in low caster level builds for yourself, or on other party members to buff.

If you try to scale that to any sort of creation magic, then of course its going to look bland :P

Grooke
2015-04-04, 11:08 AM
It is a decent way to help the party without stealing the spotlight, especially at low levels.