PDA

View Full Version : How to get more out of a D12 Weapon?

Firechanter
2015-04-04, 11:17 AM
My poor D12s are sorely underused since we concluded our AD&D game (where I played a Dual-Longsword Gish). Now we play 3.5 again (which is great) and I'm considering to switch my Warblade to use a Greataxe, or possibly some other weapon that uses a D12 as damage die.
(I'm currently skilled for lockdown, but I'm sure my DM would let me swap out those feats, as he isn't a big fan of lockdown builds.)

So, I'm wondering if there are any nice tricks or combos for such weapons. Like, maybe stuff that adds damage dice, or allows rerolls or so, similar to 5E. Anything that synergizes well with a D12.
No PF material allowed.

Anything come to mind?

Lerondiel
2015-04-04, 11:27 AM
You want to build a character with the sheer purpose of rolling d12s as often as possible?

Eloel
2015-04-04, 11:34 AM
Rainbow Beam is a 2nd level spell that deals xd12 damage.

Firechanter
2015-04-04, 11:35 AM
Yes, pretty much :D
BUT it has to be a martial, melee character. No casting. Warblade as much as possible.

Flickerdart
2015-04-04, 11:37 AM
Well, anything that gives you crits will let you reroll that d12. Unfortunately, everything that adds flat damage mods also gets added, so having a large damage die isn't very useful outside of low levels where you have few bonuses. I can't think of anything that gives you extra weapon dice without getting to add at least something to it.

atemu1234
2015-04-04, 11:42 AM
Play a Necropolitan Necromancer wielding a Greataxe?

Firechanter
2015-04-04, 11:52 AM
Oh, we use Static HP anyway.
Current ideas are:
- Greataxe, also take Blade Meditation
- Mino Greathammer, make it Impact or get Improved Crit (range 17-19).

Although I'm normally not a fan of critfisher builds, but might make an exception here.

Zaq
2015-04-04, 11:55 AM
There's not a lot that I can think of that adds multiple instances of your base weapon dice. (That's more of a 4e thing, with lots of powers doing 2[W] or 3[W] or whatever.) Most stuff that adds extra dice adds separate extra dice, not the dice from your weapon, though I'm sure you know that—that's why you're asking for options in the first place. I guess crit-fishing could be a thing, though most d12 weapons aren't really good at crit-fishing. The best choice will be the infamous Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer from MM4, which has a base damage of d12 and a crit range of 19-20/x4. Without shenanigans, you'll only get that up to a 17-20 range (with Weapon of Impact or Improved Crit), but still, x4 damage with your d12s is nice when it works.

There's the Diamond Mind maneuvers that directly multiply your damage totals (Ruby/Diamond Nightmare Blade), but I think you only roll once with those and multiply the damage, rather than actually rolling twice or four times.

Spirited Charge will let you do double damage on a mounted charge, but since a lance isn't a d12 weapon, that's not really using the feat to its fullest, and you're probably better off just getting Pounce and attacking multiple times normally.

The spell Belker Claws (SpC) does 2d12 damage, and at high CL, it does that damage for multiple rounds. Other SpC spells that use d12s for damage include Bolt of Glory, Clutch of Orcus, Corona of Cold, Dinosaur Stampede, Ice Axe, Rainbow Beam, high-level Rainbow Blast, Reciprocal Gyre, and a couple others that only do 1d12 and don't have multiple damage instances. Ice Axe is going to be one of the best of those, since it has a base of 2d12 and is wielded like a normal axe (so you can make multiple attacks with it), though I do like that Rainbow Beam just lets you plunk 5d12 down on the table.

If you can get a bow that does d12 damage, Hunter's Mercy will let you auto-crit with it to roll lots of d12s, but I don't think there are any bows that have a base damage of d12. I thought the Bone Bow was d12, but it's only d10. The DMG's weapon size table seems to ignore d12s completely—there's rules for what happens when you scale up a d12 weapon, but nothing scales to use d12s, which I'm sure you probably noticed while you were looking for d12s.

If you're not looking to go magical, I think your best bet is to get your hands on a Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer, increase its crit range by whatever method you like, then just try to get as many swings as possible (a dip in Whirlpouncebarian will help with that, as is almost always the case with melee characters). That's about the best method there is of getting multiple instances of your weapon dice.

Kazuel
2015-04-04, 12:01 PM
Doesn't flip kick or flying kick deal 1d12 extra on a charge? I mean if all your looking for is rolling the dice...

Firechanter
2015-04-04, 12:07 PM
Okay, thank you - that's pretty much what I thought. I was hoping that I maybe missed something. ;)

Zaq
2015-04-04, 12:13 PM
Doesn't flip kick or flying kick deal 1d12 extra on a charge? I mean if all your looking for is rolling the dice...

That's right, it does. CWar pg. 99. The way it's written, it should work for all the attacks you make when you charge, including Pounce attacks and Snap Kick attacks. Might be worth looking into.

Lerondiel
2015-04-04, 12:21 PM
For starters give that Warblade:
- an item with Extended Wraithstrike
- a Lucky Impact Warmace
- Lightning Maces feat
- Crushing Strike feat
- Blood in the Water stance
- Avalanche of Blades maneuver

He'll make unlimited melee touch attacks to hit with his d12 warmace at a cumulative -3 per attack until he misses, unless he criticals getting a bonus attack and extra +1 attack & damage. The lucky weapon enhancement protects him from his first natural 1.

That should get him rolling a few d12s against a dragon's touch AC...otherwise ditch the warblade - its speed greataxe TWF slashing flurry robilars gambit karmic striking etc dervish time :)

FocusWolf413
2015-04-04, 12:41 PM
Check out the ruby/diamond nightmare blade maneuvers.

Darrin
2015-04-04, 12:45 PM
Some thoughts:

Consider the Longaxe (Complete Adventurer). Same stats as a greataxe, but if you Power Attack for at least a -3 penalty, it gains reach until the start of your next turn.

Another trick you can do with greataxes... Bloodclaw Master's Superior Two-Weapon Fighting (Ex): "...when you attack with two daggers or Tiger Claw weapons, you do not take the –2 penalty on attack rolls for fighting with two weapons." Well, guess what two-handed weapon is considered a Tiger Claw weapon? Pair up with an unarmed strike as your offhand, or get four arms (Thri-Kreen, Diopsid, Totemist 2) and dual-wield greataxes. Sadly, you still get -2/-2 TWF penalties because your offhand greataxe isn't light (and Oversized TWF won't help), but you get your full Str bonus on damage. And by full, I mean x1.5 for your two-handed grip. But if you put Morphing on a Sunblade...

If you want a short but glorious life: Thri-Kreen/Diopsid with a Warmace (Complete Warrior) in each hand, Oversized TWF + MWF. Yes, you get a -4 AC penalty, but if every warmace hits, that's 4d12 base damage.

As far as getting more attacks out of a 1d12 weapon... hmmm. Maybe Pole Fighter from Dragon Compendium? But that requires a non-zero number of monk levels (never really a good sign) and a DM willing to consider a longaxe = polearm.

Firechanter
2015-04-05, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm away from computer over the holidays, so I'm only posting from my mobile.
We try to keep our game low-cheese, so stuff like Thri-Kreen or Wraithstrike-items ain't gonna fly. Anyway, I'll see if I can draw anything from those suggestions. ^^

ShurikVch
2015-04-05, 08:12 AM
Take some levels in old Weapon Master PrC: Ki critical will make you roll even more d12

Find some way to get Kaorti resin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) weapon - for x4 crit

Since your axe is exotic weapon now, you may take some levels in Exotic Weapon Master PrC

samduke
2015-04-05, 12:17 PM
This might solve the issue - find a decent D10 that has a good crit range and give it
Gold or Platinum heavy weapon, (Magic of Faerun p. 179)
Heavy weapon result of gold or platinum, increase damage die as size +1 larger <D10 becomes a D12>

Flickerdart
2015-04-05, 12:31 PM
Heavy weapon result of gold or platinum, increase damage die as size +1 larger <D10 becomes a D12>
It doesn't, actually. A medium weapon that deals 1d10 becomes 2d8 when sized up. The only way to size up to 1d12 is if the medium-sized weapon of that type deals 1d12 and you start out with a small weapon. In other words, it doesn't help one bit.

Oh, that reminds me of another thing. A drunken master loves d12s - he has a flaming breath that deals 3d12, but most importantly any improvised weapon he wields deals an extra 1d12 damage. So wielding something that's like a greataxe but not a weapon will let you deal 2d12 damage.

Powerdork
2015-04-05, 01:01 PM
Oh, that reminds me of another thing. A drunken master loves d12s - he has a flaming breath that deals 3d12, but most importantly any improvised weapon he wields deals an extra 1d12 damage. So wielding something that's like a greataxe but not a weapon will let you deal 2d12 damage.

What about something that's like a greathammer (which, interestingly enough, is just a sledgehammer)?

Flickerdart
2015-04-05, 01:19 PM
What about something that's like a greathammer (which, interestingly enough, is just a sledgehammer)?
The rules for improvised weapon damage given in the PHB are just "find the closest thing on the weapons table, but always 20/x2 crit and -4 penalty to hit." So sledgehammer would work, too.

ShurikVch
2015-04-05, 01:33 PM
Earth's Embrace (CWar) - d12 damage/round to pinned enemy (while grappling)

Diamond Warrior do d12 unarmed damage from level 7, and Scorpion Kama (MIC) add unarmed damage to weapon

Needlefolk have ranged needle attack with d12 damage

Crocodile have tail slap attack with d12 damage; Anthro (or Tauric) template allow to get it for your PC

sideswipe
2015-04-06, 07:53 AM
ask your DM that for every 2d6 you roll, roll a D12 instead. the maths is much different but the whole range you can achieve actually gets worse.

ShurikVch
2015-04-06, 11:15 AM
Great falchion (Sandstorm) and Icechucker (Frostburn) are do d12 too

Urskan (Magical Beast from Frostburn, 5 HD and LA +4) do d12 damage with it's Steelclaw. (You may also ask DM to count your damage from Powerful Charge and Rend as d12 instead 2d8)

Werecrocodile have d12 tail slap attack in Hybrid Form too

Treant monstrous class in Savage Species gets d12 Trample attack on 7th level

Also, Mastodon (MM3) do 2d12 of Trample damage. You may get Warbeast Mastodon for 1300 gp (100+75/HD)

Dragon #277, in article "Greyhawk 2000", have two d12 weapons - DiM pistol and Silvershot

D20 modern have Barrett Light Fifty and M2HB (heavy machine gun) with 2d12 damage

ben-zayb
2015-04-06, 11:10 PM
Take some levels in old Weapon Master PrC: Ki critical will make you roll even more d12

Find some way to get Kaorti resin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) weapon - for x4 crit

Since your axe is exotic weapon now, you may take some levels in Exotic Weapon Master PrC

As a bonus perk to Weapon Master, Ki Damage gives maximum weapon die damage for a very limited amount of times per day.