PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Strongholds!

Ranting Fool
2015-04-04, 12:08 PM
There is a solid chance that in the next campaign I'll be running (First one with 5th once this 3.5 campaign ends) that the players will want to build/gain/conquer some sort of Stronghold.

Anyone able to point me in the direction of some good 5th rules for building up a castle / small town / kingdom.

I would blame games like Dragon Age Inquisition and Pillars of Eternity (both fun to play) but people always like becoming lords. (Note: this would be for higher levels 8+)

If nothing has been done I'll just have to think of something abstract and balance it with the new world.

Cheers :smallbiggrin:

Jlooney
2015-04-04, 01:08 PM
As of right now I don't think there are fast rules for it. To be honest it's kind of crunchy. It's mainly figuring out how many official castle workers there are and if they require the two sp per day or the 2 gp per day. Not to mention a worthwhile sort of income. Normally this is due to adventurers going out and sinking money into the kingdom via special things suck as a tournament ground or a college or even a coliseum. It all depends

Daishain
2015-04-04, 01:31 PM
I'd just port over the Rules found in 3.5E's Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, adjust as necessary or desired from there. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't need to be.

Ranting Fool
2015-04-04, 02:41 PM
I'd just port over the Rules found in 3.5E's Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, adjust as necessary or desired from there. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't need to be.

Which is what I'll end up doing, unless someone has already done something similar.

Madfellow
2015-04-04, 02:53 PM
The 5e Dungeon Master's Guide details how much it costs and how much time it takes to build strongholds of various sizes and types, as well as the cost to upkeep them and what kind of staff they require. It advises that PCs get a stronghold somewhere around level 11. It's all in Chapter 6: Between Adventures. Strongholds are usually accompanied by lands and titles as well, which are often rewards bestowed by the local monarch.