PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rogue/Ranger NPC

Afgncaap5
2015-04-04, 02:36 PM
Heya, I just realized that an enemy the players met ages ago has a slim chance of arriving tonight, but I'm not sure what build to give him. It's an Eberron campaign, and the villain in question is Tree Viper (a half-orc ranger/rogue mentioned, I think, a single time in the ECS book and nowhere else.) In the book he's listed as a ranger/rogue with three levels, but when the players met him he had four levels (two of each.) I'm planning on him advancing more or less along with the players, staying one level ahead of them, so now he's at level eight.

Are there any prestige classes or interesting combinations for rogue/ranger builds that I'm unaware of that might be useful here? A ranger and rogue cross-class build isn't too hard to throw together, but if there's something thematically appropriate that he might have it might be better.

Andry
2015-04-04, 03:03 PM
I would go ranger/scout with the swift hunter feat when and if he gets high enough level.

gorfnab
2015-04-04, 03:06 PM
I would go ranger/scout with the swift hunter feat when and if he gets high enough level.

I agree. A Swift Hunter (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8722) build would have nice synergy that a Rogue/Ranger might lack.

Afgncaap5
2015-04-04, 03:32 PM
I could, but I'd rather not alter his first appearance. It wouldn't hurt much, I suppose, but it always feels weird to me to do that. :smalltongue: Thanks, though.

Troacctid
2015-04-04, 03:33 PM
There is Shade Hunter as a prestige class that has Rogue/Ranger as the intended entry, but I don't know if it's what you're looking for.

Afgncaap5
2015-04-04, 03:36 PM
There is Shade Hunter as a prestige class that has Rogue/Ranger as the intended entry, but I don't know if it's what you're looking for.

Hmm... flavor-wise it's almost perfect, though I don't know about mechanically. I may tack the flavor of that onto a Swift Hunter.