PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Where would a 17th+ level Cleric live in Golorian?

GreenSerpent
2015-04-04, 05:31 PM
This is for some campaign planning I'm doing which involves a scroll of true resurrection as a minor plot device. I contemplated this before realising I had no idea where the aforementioned scrollmaker would live.

If you were a spellcaster in Golorian capable of making such scrolls (we'll assume 17th level +) where would you live? No alignment is given here because it doesn't matter.

Jack_Simth
2015-04-04, 05:46 PM
This is for some campaign planning I'm doing which involves a scroll of true resurrection as a minor plot device. I contemplated this before realising I had no idea where the aforementioned scrollmaker would live.

If you were a spellcaster in Golorian capable of making such scrolls (we'll assume 17th level +) where would you live? No alignment is given here because it doesn't matter.
A cleric-17 is essentially the 800 pound gorilla in most settings. It stays wherever it wants.

So really, it depends on the theme of the character. A Cleric that's paranoid and fearful because of a lot of enemies? In a fortress of some form. A Cleric that wants to help others? Wherever the most good can be done (which will often be a large, poor city). A nature-themed Cleric? Out in the wild somewhere (unless trying to hold back the advance of civilization, of course). A fire-themed cleric? Possibly near a volcano. Et cetera.

MyrPsychologist
2015-04-04, 05:51 PM
It's a level 17 cleric, it lives wherever it gosh darn wants.

Probably in some place exceptionally entrenched with the divine or leading a large congregation. But really, you could probably invent a reason for them to live anywhere they want. They're a powerful enough caster that few would be daring enough to hassle them.

Spore
2015-04-04, 05:51 PM
I'd go with the celebratoral route. A 17+ cleric is likely the "fantasy pope" for his or her religion and will possibly stay where the most followers for his god can be converted and conserved. He'd stay close to the most important shrines and relics or artifacts unless his power specifically calls him to aid somewhere else.

Remember, Jaela Daran is the highest level cleric in Eberron and even if her spellcasting wouldn't be bound to a specific place she wouldn't travel very much since 86 HP is still very poor for a 17th level cleric. Spells like "Hallow", "Word of Recall", "Refuge" and "Dimensional Lock" don't really scream "travelling adventurer" to me.

GreyBlack
2015-04-04, 06:28 PM
On its own private demiplane created by its undying devotion to his/her deity. I would say wherever it wants, but I've been swordsaged.

Skya
2015-04-04, 06:43 PM
A cleric of wich god?

Occasional Sage
2015-04-04, 06:57 PM

It very much matters.

For instance: despite being a Clr17, no priest of Sarenrae would live in Ustalav.

Give us SOMETHING to work with! Golarion us a high-basic setting, there are more than a few clerics that fit the bill; even with no deity in mind, what KIND of plot device is this?

Spore
2015-04-04, 07:01 PM

I ignored the topic at hand. It really doesn't matter where the scroll guy lives as a scroll of true ressurection is a major thing and can easily be written and stay decades, if not centuries unused and passed around. It may have been written in a long forgotten cathedral that got besieged and burned down. It then wandered with the victors of said siege to their homeland until it was brought up to ressurect the murdered king. The ritual was foiled by separatists and the scroll vanished. Not knowing what they have got the scroll got bought by a rich but not necessarily powerful wizard that kept it safe until it got into other hands.

A scroll can likely just have a life as long as your average adventurer. And for a scroll of THAT price it also wouldn't be uncommon to have a protective and sealed scroll case. Not artifact level but maybe it just opens for a priest, or someone with the right alignment.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-04, 09:29 PM
Probably here. (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/createDemiplane.html) Why physically go anywhere else?

Psyren
2015-04-04, 10:37 PM
Likely on a demiplane as others have noted, both to better commune with their deity and to avoid possible enemies made along the way up.

As far as what such a character would be doing, most likely dealing with world-class concerns - like the Worldwound, Great Old One cultists, Rovagug's Spawn etc. Note that both good and evil clerics might be concerned with such matters, just in different ways.

Occasional Sage
2015-04-05, 12:17 AM
Likely on a demiplane as others have noted, both to better commune with their deity and to avoid possible enemies made along the way up.

As far as what such a character would be doing, most likely dealing with world-class concerns - like the Worldwound, Great Old One cultists, Rovagug's Spawn etc. Note that both good and evil clerics might be concerned with such matters, just in different ways.

Not necessarily so different. I invite you to put the High Priest of Asmodeus in the same place as a Spawn of Rovagug and see what happens.

GreenSerpent
2015-04-05, 04:12 AM
Not necessarily so different. I invite you to put the High Priest of Asmodeus in the same place as a Spawn of Rovagug and see what happens.

Considering Asmodeus helped seal Rovagug and holds the key to his prison, I'd imagine the High Priest might have a bit of smiting to do.

Okay, thinking on this further. I'm going to go with a Good or Neutral alignment as they're more likely to work with resurrection than an Evil aligned person.

So Good/Neutral. Probably of a god with life as their portfolio - let's say the Healing domain/Resurrection subdomain.

That leaves Sarenrae, Pharasma, Irori, Milani, Bolka and Korada (Lorcan and Jiraviddain are Evil). Bolka is a dwarven goddess of magic and Korada a god of foresight and forgiveness, so I'll discount them too.

So Sarenrae, Pharasma, Irori and Milani are the gods this hypothetical 17th+ level Cleric/18th+ level Oracle is likely to be a worshipper of.

Does that narrow it down a bit?

Skya
2015-04-05, 08:37 AM
So Sarenrae, Pharasma, Irori and Milani are the gods this hypothetical 17th+ level Cleric/18th+ level Oracle is likely to be a worshipper of.

Does that narrow it down a bit?

Osirion, Qadira and Thuvia usualy worship those gods.

KillingAScarab
2015-04-05, 08:55 AM
I ignored the topic at hand. It really doesn't matter where the scroll guy lives as a scroll of true ressurection is a major thing and can easily be written and stay decades, if not centuries unused and passed around. It may have been written in a long forgotten cathedral that got besieged and burned down. It then wandered with the victors of said siege to their homeland until it was brought up to ressurect the murdered king. The ritual was foiled by separatists and the scroll vanished. Not knowing what they have got the scroll got bought by a rich but not necessarily powerful wizard that kept it safe until it got into other hands.

A scroll can likely just have a life as long as your average adventurer. And for a scroll of THAT price it also wouldn't be uncommon to have a protective and sealed scroll case. Not artifact level but maybe it just opens for a priest, or someone with the right alignment.I will second this. It doesn't matter where the scroll's maker is if the scroll is already made and I like the idea of giving a history to a consumable magic item.

atemu1234
2015-04-05, 10:24 AM
On its own private demiplane created by its undying devotion to his/her deity. I would say wherever it wants, but I've been swordsaged.

Or on its deity's home plane.