PDA

View Full Version : What does magic immunity count against?

Mellack
2015-04-04, 05:34 PM
A Rakshasa is immune to spells of 6th level and lower. Now I know that means it can't be damaged with a Fireball or Cursed or Hold Personed. But what about spells that do not affect it directly? Can a rakshasa see through magical Darkness or a Fog Cloud without penalty? Can it walk through a Wall of Ice or a Wall of Force? I am interested in how others would rule this and what support there is for that ruling. Thanks.

pwykersotz
2015-04-04, 06:01 PM
I was going to give an answer, but this is becoming far more complex than I thought. Good question. :smalleek:

asorel
2015-04-04, 06:19 PM
My first reaction is to limit it only to things that target the creature. But then you have spells that Fireball, which technically target the ground and not the creature. Therefore, I would expand the condition to include effects caused directly by the casting of a spell. Fog Cloud and Darkness don't apply because they alter the environment. By the same principle, Wall of Force would be fine as well. The creature is immune to spells, not immune to crashing into walls. General rule of thumb: If you make an attack roll, or the creature makes a save as a direct result of the spell, it's subject to immunity. While Grease involves a saving throw, that save is due to the change in environment, not the spell itself, as evidenced by creatures who enter the area later also being subject to a saving throw.

SharkForce
2015-04-04, 06:34 PM
minor side note: a hold monster cast from a 9th level slot is a 9th level spell, and will work just fine (it would also be a horrible waste of a 9th level spell slot most of the time, but it would work).