PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Expanding Adept Spell List

Thurbane
2015-04-04, 07:15 PM
I just noticed the other that Complete Champion adds some new Adept spells, and apparently in Eberron Adepts get to add a domain (?).

Is there any other official sources that expand the Adepts spell list?

I'm interested in this, because I use Adepts (or monsters with Adept levels) as NPC encounters quite often.

Homebrew is OK, but interested primarily in RAW sources.

Cheers - T

With a box
2015-04-04, 07:31 PM
Ways to Expand a Spell List (III) (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2777.0)

Would there be something you want?

Thurbane
2015-04-04, 07:32 PM
Ways to Expand a Spell List (III) (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2777.0)

Would there be something you want?

That's a good start, but I'm also wondering if anything other than CC added new Adept spells...

With a box
2015-04-04, 07:52 PM
Just offer them whole cleric spell list. (If they know about that spell)
They are also a priest of god like clerica, but without proper education.

A_S
2015-04-04, 08:03 PM
I don't know of any other official sources that directly add spells to the Adept list. I believe you're stuck with the general ways to add spells to a list they don't normally appear on.

One item that's worth mentioning for Adepts is the Hexer PrC from Masters of the Wild (requires Monstrous Humanoid). It's designed to be entered as an Adept, and it adds 5 spells from the sorc/wiz list over 10 levels, among other benefits.

dextercorvia
2015-04-04, 10:02 PM
According to a common online spell database, Invoke the Cerulean Sign (LoM) and Lesser Spell Turning (Mintpers Chapbook) are on the adept spell list, but I can't see why that is.

Masters of the Wild (in addition to introducing the Hexer) offers some suggestions for expanding the Adept Spell list:

If you wish, you can add the
following spells to the adept’s
spell list. The spells marked
with an asterisk(*) are from
Defenders of the Faith, and
those marked with a dagger
(†) are from Tome and Blood.
The remaining spells are from
this chapter.
0 Level—dawn
1st Level—hawkeye, lesser
cold orb†, scarecrow
2nd Level—choke†, decomposition,
owl’s wisdom†
3rd Level—beastmask*, embrace
the wild, enhance familiar†
4th Level—false bravado, languor,
weather eye*
5th Level—big sky, ghostform†

KillingAScarab
2015-04-05, 12:05 AM
One item that's worth mentioning for Adepts is the Hexer PrC from Masters of the Wild (requires Monstrous Humanoid). It's designed to be entered as an Adept, and it adds 5 spells from the sorc/wiz list over 10 levels, among other benefits.Huh. What do you know. 10 ranks of knowledge (arcana) and wilderness lore, plus lightning bolt as a divine spell. Even a multiclass wizard/cleric with the travel domain wouldn't have access to lightning bolt as a divine spell without a nonstandard domain (or maybe geomancer, if the DM OKed it). I guess hexer was made for (level 8+) adepts.

While on the subject of 3.0 material, I checked Green Ronin's Pocket Grimoire: Divine, which collected OGL divine spells. At the time that was published, there weren't any 3rd party spells (under OGL, at least) for adepts. It also looks like 3.5 only added two spells to the normal spell list: touch of fatigue and scorching ray.

Thurbane
2015-04-05, 12:07 AM
Huh. What do you know. 10 ranks of knowledge (arcana) and wilderness lore, plus lightning bolt as a divine spell. Even a multiclass wizard/cleric with the travel domain wouldn't have access to lightning bolt as a divine spell without a nonstandard domain (or maybe geomancer). I guess hexer was made for (level 8+) adepts.

And in 3.5, it's a very nice PrC for an Archivist. You need a dip or an Apprentice feat for Survival/Wilderness Lore. :smallsmile: