PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Bat Swarm Animal Companion

CGNefarious
2015-04-04, 11:54 PM
Is there any way in Pathfinder (or even 3.5) to get a bat swarm as your animal companion?

Specifically I'm making a DSP Lords of the Night Vampire Crimson Countess Harbinger and I'm wanting my animal companion to be a swarm of bats (for obvious flavor reasons).

DrMotives
2015-04-05, 01:09 PM
Bats aren't social animals in the context of bees, termites, or naked mole rats, but since this is a fantasy game, I don't see why they couldn't be, at least one for species. And if a mammal like naked mole rats can have a queen & worker castes, that could be the fluff excuse for a swarm companion. Your companion is the queen bat, the swarm just goes along too.

Rainshine
2015-04-05, 08:00 PM
Is there any way in Pathfinder (or even 3.5) to get a bat swarm as your animal companion?

Specifically I'm making a DSP Lords of the Night Vampire Crimson Countess Harbinger and I'm wanting my animal companion to be a swarm of bats (for obvious flavor reasons).

Not that I am aware of for bats specifically. There are rules for picking up vermin companions in both 3.5 and PF, and some of the listed ones are swarms -- bees, wasps, etc. Maybe show those to your DM and ask for one of those to be reflavored for bats.

leonfenrir
2015-05-11, 08:28 AM
Swarm's a pretty powerful template (thus why it's typically a +1 CR adjustment.

I'm glad to see someone's planning around the LotN content. Perhaps the ability to improve your animal companion to a swarm should cost a feat?

CGNefarious
2015-05-11, 08:59 AM
I'm actually not sure if it would be better mechanically than a normal animal companion. It can't flank. It doesn't really work as a tank. And if I'm understanding the RAW properly, it also damages you and your allies if you share the same space.

Thematically though I think it'd be pretty awesome.

Edit: Just after I post this I see a thread detailing how powerful swarms are...

Hrugner
2015-05-11, 12:43 PM
There's a familiar archetype that lets your familiar act as an illusionary swarm, but that's as close as I can find for a swarm familiar.

Under illusion
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar/familiar-archetypes/school-familiar-familiar-archetype