PDA

View Full Version : Spell suggestions needed.

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-13, 12:32 PM
I'm playing a Magesworn Elf (my own creation) wizard who uses evoction and necromancy mostly, he's almost level three, any suggestions on what Second level spells I should get? They can come from the PHB or the Spell Compedium.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-13, 12:42 PM
Scorching Ray is about as good as evocation spells get. Really, though, you'd be better off focusing on better spells than the ones that do damage, but you probably know that already.
Shatter is useful at that level, to use on weapons/armor as well as doors and stuff.

Necromancy-wise, if you don't have Ray of Enfeeblement yet, get it. For level two spells that do damage, Dessicating Bubble is okay.

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-13, 12:46 PM
Alright, those sound good, but I'm trying not to make him a calculated wizard-bot, I want to get something that goes well with him, he's a sarcastic, arrogant ass, and I want his spells to reflect that.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-13, 12:48 PM
I see spells like Web as reflecting that much more than "I blow you up". Dominate Person and the like, too. Glitterdust--snark at them as they stumble around blindly.

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-13, 12:51 PM
I think I'm going to go with Web and Glitterdust, thanks.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-13, 12:53 PM
Solid choices! Glitterdust's only 3 rounds at level 3, but it absolutely cripples your enemies. Web means your archers get a field day with anything that's in the web.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-13, 01:00 PM
Scare is a good one to grab on a scroll or wand, too, since it can spell doom for low level foes but is pretty much worthless at higher levels.

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-13, 01:02 PM
Wish we had an archer...all we've got is a lizardfolk bard that doesn't inspire anything, a wood elf cleric that throws clubs at peopl, and a barbarian named Gorbash the Defiler, he defiles everything. It's kind of disturbing...

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-13, 01:04 PM
I might try to track down a Scare scroll when I get a chance, I think Jonathan would enjoy watching the barbarian run screaming like a pre-pubescent monkey...

Amiria
2007-04-13, 01:12 PM
Bad idea. Spells from scrolls have low saves. Gorbash has a decent chance to make it and then he might try to defile you.

Hunter Noventa
2007-04-13, 01:42 PM
Bad idea. Spells from scrolls have low saves. Gorbash has a decent chance to make it and then he might try to defile you.

He's playing a wizard, so he can scribe the scrol into his spellbook.

MethodicalMeat
2007-04-13, 01:52 PM
He's playing a wizard, so he can scribe the scrol into his spellbook.

That was the plan, yes, but I do appreciate the concern over my as-yet-undefiled elf body.

Amiria
2007-04-13, 02:02 PM
You don't have to buy a scroll to scribe spells in your spellbook. It is cheaper to transcribe it from another spellbook. Maybe one which you clawed from the cold dead hands of a vanquished foe. Or one which you found in a treasure hoard. Or peacefully exchange spells with your friendly local neighborhood wizard.

Stevenson
2007-04-13, 03:00 PM
Depending on where most of your adventures take place, earthy grasp might be worthwhile.

Also, to tie in with jack-assery, Mirror Image is a must have. Taunt them as multiple people as they miss you!