PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 material in 3.5

KingSmitty
2015-04-05, 07:28 AM
I know it is written down somewhere saying that if a 3.0 book was never updated to 3.5 it is rules legal... anybody know what im talking about and where i can find it?

im specifically trying to get the Stonewalker Fist feat allowed for my character, since ignoring 4 AC from metal or stone armor is great, made even better that i can take the feat twice and it stacks, effectively reducing all metal wearing foes to touch AC

please help, and thank you

Mr.Kraken
2015-04-05, 07:42 AM
Check the "What's this book for?" table in Player's Guide to Faerun.

atemu1234
2015-04-05, 10:30 AM
I know it is written down somewhere saying that if a 3.0 book was never updated to 3.5 it is rules legal... anybody know what im talking about and where i can find it?

im specifically trying to get the Stonewalker Fist feat allowed for my character, since ignoring 4 AC from metal or stone armor is great, made even better that i can take the feat twice and it stacks, effectively reducing all metal wearing foes to touch AC

I would try googling it.

Darrin
2015-04-05, 10:34 AM

PHB page 4:

"This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments."

DMG page 4 (very slightly reworded):

"This revision is compatible with existing products, and these products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments."

The exceptions would mostly be 3.0 material that has been updated to 3.5. There's a list of feats, prestige classes, and spells that lists the source and what 3.5 book updates them, but it's hard to find. However, I managed to track down the archive link:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x

The Player's Guide to Faerun officially updated material from several 3.0 books. In particular, it says on page 4:

"This book updates significant portions of several other Forgotten Realms products, including Races of Faerun and Magic of Faerun."

The text for Stonewalker Fist was explicitly updated on page 33:

"Stonewalker Fist (Races of Faerun): Remove the region requirement from this feat; it’s available to any urdunnir dwarf."

This establishes Stonewalker Fist as 3.5 material in a rather unambiguous manner.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-05, 10:41 AM
3.5 DMG, page 4, sidebar: Why A Revision?, end of the second paragraph:

This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with existing products, and these products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments.

According to the Feat Index (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats&tablefilter=stonewalker%20fist), Stonewalker Fist was only printed once in Races of Faerûn. There's not a more recent printing of it, so the original is still the most current version, and it is very much still valid for use in any 3.X game.

Flickerdart
2015-04-05, 11:00 AM

The specific updates for Stonewalker Fist and the general rules about updating 3.0 stuff have already been mentioned, but here are several rules of thumb so you don't need to look stuff up in the future:

Most prestige classes weren't reprinted in 3.5. A couple were (like Incantatrix), but in general you're safe. Most of the updates were to spells and the base classes. A couple of feats changed (Ambidexterity went away, Expertise became Combat Expertise, etc) as well as some skills, so you always want to look up your prerequisites to make sure they still exist.

Most spells were reprinted, but by and large there were fairly few changes.

Whenever you see "1 action" or "on your next action" it's a 3.0 term referring to your standard action. It sometimes crops up in 3.5 material, too.

The only content that got 100% overwritten was the Psionics Handbook - the entire subsystem was overhauled for 3.5, so just skip everything from that book.

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-05, 03:44 PM
Its really a shame. Some classes that where really good in 3.0 became gimp in 3.5
War Mage comes to mind.
Old war mage gets a bonus to each die of damage a spell does.
New War mage gets a flat damage bonus based on int......as a CHA caster <_<

One is a true blaster, while the re-worked on is more of a support damage class, able to choose nearly any evocation spell at will, so I cant really say they suck, but not really a blaster either.

Pluto!
2015-04-05, 03:55 PM
Its really a shame. Some classes that where really good in 3.0 became gimp in 3.5
War Mage comes to mind.
Old war mage gets a bonus to each die of damage a spell does.
New War mage gets a flat damage bonus based on int......as a CHA caster <_<

One is a true blaster, while the re-worked on is more of a support damage class, able to choose nearly any evocation spell at will, so I cant really say they suck, but not really a blaster either.
War Mage wasn't a 3.0 class. The PrC I think you're talking about was from a third party supplement that was released after 3.5 came out.

EDIT:
W/R/T the larger point of nerfs happening with 3.5's changeover, the biggest ones I can think of were Planar Binding/Ally HD caps, which were even crazier, some of the buffing mechanics, and Soulknife, which went from a reasonable PsyWar/Rogue PrC that could abuse the psionic combat system in melee combat to a crappy Monk-spinoff.

SiuiS
2015-04-05, 03:58 PM
Any old material A) not explicitly updated and B) not explicilty made defunk is valid and is basically 3.5 material. The 3.5 revision is strictly a release of all rules which were changed.

Zanos
2015-04-05, 05:38 PM

As a secondary concern to the legality, you're more likely to run into heavy amounts of natural armor rather than people wearing actual armor, especially as you go up in levels. Unless you're in a particularly humanoid heavy caimpaign.

KingSmitty
2015-04-06, 02:11 PM
I would try googling it.

then do so without wasting my time, thanks.

The Player's Guide to Faerun officially updated material from several 3.0 books. In particular, it says on page 4:

"This book updates significant portions of several other Forgotten Realms products, including Races of Faerun and Magic of Faerun."

The text for Stonewalker Fist was explicitly updated on page 33:

"Stonewalker Fist (Races of Faerun): Remove the region requirement from this feat; it’s available to any urdunnir dwarf."

This establishes Stonewalker Fist as 3.5 material in a rather unambiguous manner.

ah! thanks!!! ...now where is my players guide...

3.5 DMG, page 4, sidebar: Why A Revision?, end of the second paragraph:

According to the Feat Index (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats&tablefilter=stonewalker%20fist), Stonewalker Fist was only printed once in Races of Faerûn. There's not a more recent printing of it, so the original is still the most current version, and it is very much still valid for use in any 3.X game.

.... page 4. ah. Well there aren't any cool pictures on that one :smallcool:

The specific updates for Stonewalker Fist and the general rules about updating 3.0 stuff have already been mentioned, but here are several rules of thumb so you don't need to look stuff up in the future:

Most prestige classes weren't reprinted in 3.5. A couple were (like Incantatrix), but in general you're safe. Most of the updates were to spells and the base classes. A couple of feats changed (Ambidexterity went away, Expertise became Combat Expertise, etc) as well as some skills, so you always want to look up your prerequisites to make sure they still exist.

Most spells were reprinted, but by and large there were fairly few changes.

Whenever you see "1 action" or "on your next action" it's a 3.0 term referring to your standard action. It sometimes crops up in 3.5 material, too.

The only content that got 100% overwritten was the Psionics Handbook - the entire subsystem was overhauled for 3.5, so just skip everything from that book.

noted, thanks!

Agent 451
2015-04-06, 06:27 PM
The exceptions would mostly be 3.0 material that has been updated to 3.5. There's a list of feats, prestige classes, and spells that lists the source and what 3.5 book updates them, but it's hard to find. However, I managed to track down the archive link:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x

It's too bad that resource wasn't updated more regularly. It looks like the last update it saw was in 2005.