PDA

View Full Version : Undead Constitution Scores

EastbySoutheast
2015-04-05, 12:30 PM
So when you become undead you lose your constitution score. Fair enough. Youre are dead after all.
If you have an item say belt of magnificence (+6 to all ability scores) do you gain points in constitution?
If so do you also get the bonus associated with it and does it work as normal i.e. everything 2 points over 10 is +1 bonus?
Cause otherwise a lich wearing a belt of magnificence has D12-2hp per HD (Minus two from: 6-10=-4 and is therefore -2 bonus)

Im assuming theres a ruling somewhere it just seems like an odd thought?

tuesdayscoming
2015-04-05, 12:35 PM
An ability score of - (a non-ability) is different from a score of 0. Con boosting items do not work, because there is no number to be added to in the first place. For purpose of modifiers, a non-ability always has a modifier of 0, not -5.

edit: See Rules Compendium, p105

Chronos
2015-04-05, 12:38 PM
An undead doesn't have a zero Con; it has no Con at all. You can't add +6 to an undead's Con score, any more than you can add +6 to the value of a cucumber.

Flickerdart
2015-04-05, 12:42 PM
So when you become undead you lose your constitution score. Fair enough. Youre are dead after all.
If you have an item say belt of magnificence (+6 to all ability scores) do you gain points in constitution?
If so do you also get the bonus associated with it and does it work as normal i.e. everything 2 points over 10 is +1 bonus?
Cause otherwise a lich wearing a belt of magnificence has D12-2hp per HD (Minus two from: 6-10=-4 and is therefore -2 bonus)

It helps to think of a nonability as a multiplicative zero. You can add anything you want to it, but in the end you multiply it by that zero, and it's back to being nothing.

However, because the modifier is zero and thus a real number, you can take feats and stuff that increase that directly. If there were any. I can't think of any, though, but you never know.

An undead doesn't have a zero Con; it has no Con at all. You can't add +6 to an undead's Con score, any more than you can add +6 to the value of a cucumber.
cucumber+6=cucumber6. Still NaN though.

Chronos
2015-04-05, 12:45 PM
Let me guess: You're an awk programmer, aren't you?

Vizzerdrix
2015-04-06, 12:02 AM
Flickerdart- So if a feat granted a bonus to a - stat, it would become that bonus? If so, then BoEF's tantric feats may become the center point in my hairy spider build. Maybe even an undead fighting build too!

Grooke
2015-04-06, 02:40 AM
No, what Flickerdart says is that you can improve the modifier, not the stat. "CON -" gives you a +0 modifier. If you were to find an item (or feat) like Circlet of Persuasion (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Circlet_of_Persuasion) but for CON, it would give +3 on all checks (note that the item doesn't increase CHA, just the CHA-based checks).

Necroticplague
2015-04-06, 02:45 AM

Nope, you can't gain a point in something you don't have. Undead creatures have CON -, not CON 0.

Andezzar
2015-04-06, 03:06 AM
cucumber+6=cucumber6.Wouldn't cucumber6 = cucumber*6 = 6*cucumber ?
Cucumber+6 = 1*cucumber + 6*1 = (cucumber+6)*1 You cannot add different units.

Inevitability
2015-04-06, 06:09 AM
Wouldn't cucumber6 = cucumber*6 = 6*cucumber ?

GitP: Where threads on undead and magic degenerate in discussions on the mathematical values of cucumbers in a matter of hours.

Elderand
2015-04-06, 06:48 AM
GitP: Where threads on undead and magic degenerate in discussions on the mathematical values of cucumbers in a matter of hours.

NOW will you believe me when I say this forum was designed to be an arcane formula running through electrons to open a pathway to the far realms ?

Flickerdart
2015-04-06, 09:25 AM
Wouldn't cucumber6 = cucumber*6 = 6*cucumber ?
No, because "cucumber" is not a variable, but a value.

Andezzar
2015-04-06, 02:43 PM
NOW will you believe me when I say this forum was designed to be an arcane formula running through electrons to open a pathway to the far realms ?Shush. Don't blurt out our true purpose.

No, because "cucumber" is not a variable, but a value.No cucumber is not a value it is a unit.

dascarletm
2015-04-06, 02:47 PM
The question is if we take the logBrine of pickle do we get cucumber?

Andezzar
2015-04-06, 03:26 PM
Person 1: What's the integral of 1/cabin with respect to cabin?
Person 2: A log cabin.
Person 1: No, a houseboat; you forgot to add the C!10 characters

Snowbluff
2015-04-06, 03:27 PM
cucumber+6=cucumber6. Still NaN though.

Hah! You'll never get past my HP of 30 + 6*(Cumcumber6)! You've only dropped it to Cucumber, but that's not 0! :smalltongue:

Grooke
2015-04-06, 05:12 PM
All in favor of permanently replacing "-" by "Cucumber"?

"A template of LA Cucumber granting the undead type gives an NPC CON Cucumber but is not intended for PC use."

Snowbluff
2015-04-06, 05:29 PM
All in favor of permanently replacing "-" by "Cucumber"?

"A template of LA Cucumber granting the undead type gives an NPC CON Cucumber but is not intended for PC use."

We should get some nice dawizards done here, if the books use hyphens.

Studoku
2015-04-06, 06:02 PM
Though, this being D&D, one could have a +6 cucumber.

Eloel
2015-04-06, 06:05 PM
Though, this being D&D, one could have a +6 cucumber.

What one would do with it is probably beyond our scope here.

Ivellius
2015-04-06, 06:08 PM
What one would do with it is probably beyond our scope here.

Obviously you soak it in brine and use it to overcome Dill Resistance.

dascarletm
2015-04-06, 06:24 PM
We should get some nice dawizards done here, if the books use hyphens.

You place a curse on the subject. Choose one of the following three effects.

cucumber6 decrease to an ability score (minimum 1).
cucumber4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.

glorious....

Flickerdart
2015-04-06, 06:28 PM
glorious....
Unfortunately, — (em dash) is not the same as - (hyphen). Actually, − (minus sign) is separate as well. And then there's – (en dash) which is also different.

dascarletm
2015-04-06, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately, — (em dash) is not the same as - (hyphen). Actually, − (minus sign) is separate as well. And then there's – (en dash) which is also different.

:smallcool:
:smallconfused:
:smallannoyed: