PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in a "Let's Watch and Discuss" of Record of Lodoss War?

Yora
2015-04-05, 01:04 PM
Record of Lodoss war is a series of manga and anime about the fantasy world of Lodoss, which was originally created as a homebrew setting for a Dungeons & Dragons campaign. The adaptation I am talking about here is the 13-episode 1990 anime series. I saw it once a few years ago and thought it was okay but a bit stereotypical and cliched. And I wouldn't have recommended it to anyone. However, a couple of weeks ago I read an article praising the story for taking a a cliched fantasy plot and twisting and subverting the hell out of it at almost every possible corner. And thinking back on what I remember, I think that's actually completely true. Even though the characters play their roles with a completely straight face, nothing ever goes according to "the rules". And I completely missed almost all of that and didn't notice any of it until I saw it pointed out by someone else. This show really could have a lot of hidden depths, so I now want to give it another go and see how things change when you watch it with an eye on how it playes with the conventions of the high fantasy genre.
And since it's a pretty short anime and the Let's Read Thrawn thread went so well, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in watching and discussing Record of Lodoss War together. Perhaps three episodes per week on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday; and it would be done in about a month.

Anyone interested?