PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Trying to think of events for a ball/party.

Tezla
2015-04-05, 02:11 PM
So! I'm just about to kick off a new campaign I'm running online for some friends, and while I have most of my early-early stuff planned out... I need some ideas for the very beginning. The general idea behind the campaign is that the PCs are a royal family (a queen and three princesses, along with one of their advisors) on a continent that just came off of 500 years of being under a dictator. It's split into a bunch of small, four or five town countries.

The campaign is starting with them being invited to a party held by the neighbouring territory, which is ran by their son/brother (complicated story). They're having a meeting afterwards, and I have everything sorted out for what's happening at the meeting, but I don't really have any ideas for the party itself. I don't need a lot, but I wanted to have some social interaction to let everyone settle into their characters.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Elvenoutrider
2015-04-05, 02:44 PM
Give their Knights a chance to joust or fight, spell caster duel or show. An animal trainer shows off a trained bear or monster. Bards could come in and serenade or make fun of the nobles.

For a dramatic turn have someone interrupt the party to accuse a noble of some crime

Necromancy
2015-04-05, 02:52 PM
Masquerade parties are best for clandestine meetings

goto124
2015-04-06, 03:54 AM
EDIT: Looks like you want social encounters, with no violence. Oops...

Heikold
2015-04-06, 04:01 AM
Perhaps an older lady/gentleman who takes a shine to one of the party members and won't leave them alone unless they're actively rude to them. They just won't take a hint that someone is not interested.

Tezla
2015-04-06, 04:48 PM
Perhaps an older lady/gentleman who takes a shine to one of the party members and won't leave them alone unless they're actively rude to them. They just won't take a hint that someone is not interested.

That's entirely possible, though perhaps creepy as two of the three princesses are underage. (17, but, uh, yes.)

Masquerade parties are best for clandestine meetings

...I think it'll be a masquerade now, yes.

Give their Knights a chance to joust or fight, spell caster duel or show. An animal trainer shows off a trained bear or monster. Bards could come in and serenade or make fun of the nobles.

For a dramatic turn have someone interrupt the party to accuse a noble of some crime

Maybe something a little more low-key, probably them spotting two merchants arguing over prices and business.