PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/Cleric multicass

montoya
2015-04-05, 05:26 PM
Are there any prestige classes that could help mold these two classes together? A rogue wizard is easier to build since many prestiges are made for it. But I can't think of any meant for a cleric or divin caster off the top of my head. Could this character be done and be done well?

Troacctid
2015-04-05, 05:32 PM
Shadowbane Stalker, from Complete Adventurer. Progresses divine casting (8/10) and sneak attack (3/10), and has 6+Int skill points with most of the core Rogue class skills.

montoya
2015-04-05, 06:09 PM
Shadowbane Stalker, from Complete Adventurer. Progresses divine casting (8/10) and sneak attack (3/10), and has 6+Int skill points with most of the core Rogue class skills.

Oh wow I don't know how I overlooked that, thank you!

Curmudgeon
2015-04-05, 06:16 PM
Don't forget the Sacred Outlaw feat (Dragon # 357), which stacks Rogue+Cleric levels for sneak attack and undead turning.

KillingAScarab
2015-04-05, 06:20 PM
Cayzle had a screed (http://www.cayzle.com/screeds/book043.html) about entering Arcane Trickster and using it to advance Cleric casting. The short version is you use Bard to get mage hand and the skill ranks needed, Assassin to get sneak attack dice and quick progression to 3rd level spells, improving your casting with Mystic Theurge until you can enter Arcane Trickster. The Shadowbane prestige classes are far better options, but Cayzle's method works in core only.

FocusWolf413
2015-04-05, 06:30 PM
Strictly RAW, there aren't any good options, but there is a pretty good homebrew that The Giant made.

Hit Control-F and type in divine trickster. That will take you to it.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?172910-Articles-Previously-Appearing-on-GiantITP-com

montoya
2015-04-05, 06:42 PM
Strictly RAW, there aren't any good options, but there is a pretty good homebrew that The Giant made.

Hit Control-F and type in divine trickster. That will take you to it.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?172910-Articles-Previously-Appearing-on-GiantITP-com

That would actually be really cool to use.

Thurbane
2015-04-05, 06:45 PM
Skullclan Hunter (MH) requires TU and Sneak Attack for entry, but does not progress turning or casting.

dextercorvia
2015-04-05, 09:47 PM
It's not a great class, but Mythic Exemplar can get you 4/8 casting with 4d6/9 sneak attack. (I'd pretend like the 10th level doesn't exist.) If it is just a more skillful cleric, then something like Seeker of the Misty Isle (Full casting per the text, 6sp per level and a rangerish skill list)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-05, 10:11 PM
Don't forget the Sacred Outlaw feat (Dragon # 357), which stacks Rogue+Cleric levels for sneak attack and undead turning.

That is not even fair.

Human with Able Learner and Sacred Outlaw, Spellthief 1/ Psychic Rogue 1/ Cloistered Cleric 18. That gets 11d6 sneak attack, nearly as many skills as a single-classed Rogue, and can use wands and dorjes of any spell or psionic power that Spellthief or Psychic Rogue gets access to, namely Chameleon and Wraithstrike. You can still DMM: Persist all your best buffs, and even use the Spell domain for a few persistent Wizard buffs.

If you want to take it one step further, be a Deep Imaskari from Underdark, which are the remnants of a human empire and thus should be Humanoid (Human), so you can still use Able Learner. Take Otherworldly (PGtF, need flaws), and you can use Greater Anyspell to DMM: Persistent Draconic Polymorph into a Kelvezu demon (MM2) for an additional +8d6 sneak attack, along with Str 29, Dex 31, Con 18, +15 natural armor, and other benefits.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-05, 10:12 PM
Cloistered Cleric with the Trickery domain is basically this in a nutshell.

Curmudgeon
2015-04-05, 10:31 PM
That is not even fair.

Human with Able Learner and Sacred Outlaw, Spellthief 1/ Psychic Rogue 1/ Cloistered Cleric 18.
Works only with Rogue. Doesn't work with Psychic Rogue, which is an alternative psionic class (not a Rogue variant).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-05, 10:53 PM
Works only with Rogue. Doesn't work with Psychic Rogue, which is an alternative psionic class (not a Rogue variant).

The one from Dragon 357, page 86, requires Sneak Attack +2d6, and the ability to turn or rebuke undead. "Your cleric and rogue levels also stack for the purpose of determining your sneak attack bonus damage."

Rogue 0 + Cleric 18 = Rogue 18 for sneak attack damage, or +9d6. Spellthief and Psychic Rogue each give +1d6, for a net total +11d6 at 20th level.

Curmudgeon
2015-04-06, 12:03 AM
Rogue 0 + Cleric 18 = Rogue 18
Ah, the old "it's really 0, not ∅" argument. A classic.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-06, 12:43 AM
There's also the Blackflame Zealot from Complete Divine. Requires EWP(Kukri) and Iron Will, gives Death Attack, Poison Use, 5/10 spellcasting and +3d6 Sneak Attack. It's really not all that spectacular, but it is another option.

montoya
2015-04-06, 01:04 AM
Black Flame Zealot would actually make RP sense but the class is....meh...Still its one to consider.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-06, 01:07 AM
Black Flame Zealot would actually make RP sense but the class is....meh...Still its one to consider.

Yeah, "meh" is actually a pretty apt description for the class. It's really cool, in concept, but rather lackluster in design.

Username.
2015-04-06, 03:36 AM
Martial Study: Assassin's Stance grants some measure of Sneak Attack, though combining it with other SA sources can sometimes be hinky.

ShurikVch
2015-04-06, 06:37 AM
All the good ones probably were already mentioned, but just for completeness:

Darkmask (LoD): 5/5 casting, 6+ skill points, +SA at 3rd
Scar Enforcer (RoD): 5/10 casting, 6+ skill points, +SA at 3rd, 6th, and 9th
Eye of Lolth (DotU): 5/10 casting, 4+ skill points, +SA at 2nd, 5th, and 8th
Deathstalker of Bhaal (Dr#322): 3/5 casting, 4+ skill points, +SA at 2nd and 4th
Master of Masks (CS): 4/10 casting, 4+ skill points, Persona Masks (Assassin) gives +SA
Strifeleader (F&P): 7/10 casting, 2+ skill points, +SA at 3rd, 6th, and 9th
Sanctified One (CC): 2/5 casting, 2+ skill points; if you selected Olidammara, you may get +1d8 SA at 2nd and 4th

The best thing, probably, will be to make adaptation of Ruby Knight Vindicator, so it will better work with Swordsage than Crusader

KillingAScarab
2015-04-06, 08:22 AM
There's also the Blackflame Zealot from Complete Divine. Requires EWP(Kukri)...Which is silly, because a kukri is a martial weapon. There's also not much thematically to requiring a kukri.

Curmudgeon
2015-04-06, 11:52 AM
Which is silly, because a kukri is a martial weapon. There's also not much thematically to requiring a kukri.
It's silly, perhaps, but allowable under the rules. Some special circumstances (example: kaorti resin weapons) required Exotic Weapon Proficiency with non-exotic weapons. Some other special circumstances (example: racial weapons) make martial proficiencies work with exotic weapons.

Flickerdart
2015-04-06, 11:55 AM
There's also the Blackflame Zealot from Complete Divine. Requires EWP(Kukri) and Iron Will, gives Death Attack, Poison Use, 5/10 spellcasting and +3d6 Sneak Attack. It's really not all that spectacular, but it is another option.
Seems like you might be better off just taking alternating Rogue and Cleric levels if all you get is half-speed progression for SA and casting.

Curmudgeon
2015-04-06, 11:59 AM
Seems like you might be better off just taking alternating Rogue and Cleric levels if all you get is half-speed progression for SA and casting.
It's not "half-speed progression for SA"; BFZ gets 1d6 every 3 levels compared to every 2 levels for a Rogue. Plus some actual class features.

Zaq
2015-04-06, 12:05 PM

I was going to say that at least BFZ gives better skills than a (non-Cloistered) Cleric, but then I realized that it's only got 4+INT, not 6+INT like I thought. So yeah, you're actually better off alternating between Rogue's 8+INT and Cleric's 2+INT. That's pretty sad.

Flickerdart
2015-04-06, 12:11 PM
It's not "half-speed progression for SA"; BFZ gets 1d6 every 3 levels compared to every 2 levels for a Rogue. Plus some actual class features.
Over 10 levels, a rogue will get 5d6 SA, compared to 3d6 for BFZ. It's not exactly half, but close enough because a rogue gets +1d6 at level 11 while the BFZ would need to take some other class.

As for "actual class features" they don't really get all that much.

Elder_Basilisk
2015-04-06, 06:57 PM
If you're willing to use Pathfinder rules, Inquisitor. Go with the Sanctified Slayer archetype if you want sneak attack+trapfinding (use a slayer talent for trapfinding). Otherwise, base Inquisitor is an excellent rogue/cleric mix with a little ranger (tracking) tossed in for good measure.

montoya
2015-04-07, 03:03 AM
Well I am going to try this 15 rogue/5 cleric. I realize its not the best mix but I get some low level buffs and offensive stuff.

Seharvepernfan
2015-04-07, 06:58 AM
Well I am going to try this 15 rogue/5 cleric. I realize its not the best mix but I get some low level buffs and offensive stuff.

A Rogue 3/Cloistered Cleric (with Trickery Domain) 17 is a perfectly good build. Especially with Able Learner.

ShurikVch
2015-04-07, 11:21 AM
Well I am going to try this 15 rogue/5 cleric. I realize its not the best mix but I get some low level buffs and offensive stuff. Note: Keeper of the Cerulean Sign, Divine Prankster, and Fochlucan Lyrist are all have full spell progression and 6+ skill points/level (FL get full arcane spell progression too, but no class features beyond the 1st level)
Ardent Dilettante also get 6+, but spellcasting progression is only 9/10
Seeker of the Misty Isle is same, except 8/10
Harper Agent - 4/5
Ollam - 3/5
Squire of Legend - 2/3

Paragnostic Apostle gets full spell progression and 4+ skill points/level
Master Harper (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frx/20030604a) too
Deadgrim too, except 4/5

montoya
2015-04-08, 02:04 AM
So many combos I will simply have to put them on paper and see how they look.

nedz
2015-04-08, 05:17 AM
Ruather, but it's a bit short