PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Helm of Narration (Cursed item/beneficial item)

alackthereof
2015-04-05, 09:27 PM
This is an idea that came to me years ago after watching Stranger Than Fiction. This version is for 5th edition, but could easily be modified for other versions/systems.

Helm of Narration
This iron helm is weather-beaten, scratched, and dented; when worn, it is found to be relatively comfortable. Once attuned, after a full day of being worn, the wearer begins to hear an exceptionally monotone voice describe details about the wearer's surroundings, actions, and innermost thoughts. To most, the voice is an absolute nuisance, but to a few, great detail can be gained from the helm's power.
Every day, the wearer must make a wisdom check. On a 14 or lower, the wearer is subjected to continual distraction by the voice, and becomes taxed. As such, they gain one level of exhaustion that cannot be removed unless the helm is removed. Subsequent days of checks below 15 add additional levels of exhaustion, but it never progresses beyond 3 levels. The exhaustion from this helm is separate from exhaustion from other sources.
If the wearer receives a 15 or higher, the can benefit from the subtle details described by the voice. As such, they are never surprised, and they gain advantage on all ability checks. If the wearer receives 20 or above, they are considered proficient with any Intelligence and Wisdom based skills. At the beginning of combat, you may roll another Wisdom check. If you receive a 20 or above, you gains advantage on all attack rolls until the end of combat.

eastmabl
2015-04-06, 08:25 AM
For a cursed item, I guess that it's okay. I would suggest making the item more granular in terms of its abilities so it's not just an albatross around the player's neck.

Something like:

19 and lower: penalty
20-24: nothing
DC 25-29: minor boon
DC 30+: major boon

Otherwise, DC 25 is hard to hit on the regular.

PotatoGolem
2015-04-06, 11:27 AM
The DCs on this are way too high for 5e- makes it "useful" only for Clerics and Druids, and even then probably. A 20th level cleric with 20 wisdom still needs a 14 to make the save, so he's losing out most days. A 20th level wizard with no bonus to wisdom is making it on a 19. No one can ever make a DC 30 Wisdom check, so that ability might as well not exist, and even our 20 Wis cleric friend is only making a DC 25 on a natural 20. The idea is good, but the high DCs make this useless- in practice, it's just a helm of exhaustion.

alackthereof
2015-04-06, 03:47 PM
No one can ever make a DC 30 Wisdom check, so that ability might as well not exist, and even our 20 Wis cleric friend is only making a DC 25 on a natural 20. The idea is good, but the high DCs make this useless- in practice, it's just a helm of exhaustion.

Thank you, I had overlooked that, lumping together saves and checks. I'm going to correct the original entry with more appropriate values.