PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ultimate Magic: Words of Power...

MonkeySage
2015-04-05, 10:17 PM
Sorry, this is gonna be a pretty straight forward topic here- What do you lovely people think of this alternative option for casters? I was thinking of making it canon to my setting and allowing players to choose this option, but I was wanting to know if it was worth the effort in practice.

Pex
2015-04-05, 11:16 PM
The effects are a bit less powerful than normal spells, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. However, the effects that do exist are so similar to standard spells that I don't think the extra complication used in creating Word Spells is worth the effort. While not impossible to learn the system, it will take a long while to master. Players will be taking so much time looking up Word effects and trying to find the combinations they want and can do it will drag the game. Prepared casters have to put the game on hold while figuring out their Words. Spontaneous casters put combat on hold as they figure out what do on the fly. The aesthetic effect is also marred by Sorcerers and Oracles still getting their bloodline/mystery spells meshing the two systems. I find it a good idea on paper but fails in practice.

Crazysaneman
2015-04-05, 11:59 PM
If you're looking for an alternative non-vancian casting method to make cannon in your game, I cannot suggest Spheres of Power highly enough. I love the system. It has the potential to provide explosive power at burst capacity, while keeping the balance of power relatively even across all casters.