PDA

View Full Version : [MitP II] Savage Dragons

Scorpina
2007-04-13, 02:18 PM
Hunting Drake
Size/Type: Large Dragon
Hit Dice: 3d12+6 (24 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares) Fly 120 ft. (Average)
Armour Class: 17 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+9
Attack: Claw +11 Melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +11 Melee (1d6+5) and Bite +6 Melee (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Improved Grab
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Fast healing 2, fire immunity, immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 11, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Flyby Attack, Wingover
Environment: Temperate plains and Mountains
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 4
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Snarling ferociously, a large red creature roughly the shape and size of a horse swoops out of the sky towards you. As it's claws lunge towards you and smoke snorts out of it's nostrils, you can have no doubt that this is a dragon, and a savage one at that.

Combat
The Hunting Drake, having only animal intelligence, tends to attack anything that comes to close to it – unless it is massively bigger than the dragon itself, in which case it will take to the skies and attempt to flee. Normally, the dragon attacks from above – swooping in to strike with its claws, it typically reserves it’s breath weapon for desperate times.

Breath Weapon (Su): The Hunting Drake’s Breath weapon is a 30 ft. cone of fire, usable once per day. It deals 6d8 points of damage, with a reflex save (DC 15) for half-damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an Hunting Drake must hit a Medium or smaller opponent with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

---

Swamp Dragon
Size/Type: Large Dragon
Hit Dice: 5d12+15 (45 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 30 ft.
Armour Class: +16 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+9
Attack: Bite +13 melee ((2d6+8) or tail slap +13 melee (1d18+8)
Full Attack: Bite +13 melee (2d6+8) or tail slap +13 melee (1d8+8)
Space/Reach: 10 ft. /5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, Improved grab
Special Qualities: Hold breath, Explosive death, Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, immunity to magic sleep effects and paralysis effects.
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: Hide +7*, Spot +3
Feats: Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Hide)
Environment: Warm marshes
Organization: Solitary or colony (6-11)
Challenge Rating: 4
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

The creature that emerges from the mire looks more akin to a crocodile or an alligator than a dragon, except that it is much larger than either of those creatures could ever grow stretching well over ten feet from it’s nose to it’s tail. It’s scales are somewhere between brown and green, and it belches forth an acidic cloud of green smoke.

Combat

The swamp dragon, like the crocodiles which it resembles, spends most of it’s life submerged up to the nostrils in the swamps from which it earns it’s name. A vicious predator, it will attack most creatures of large size all smaller, using it’s jaws, tail and breath weapon to subdue them.

Breath Weapon (Su): The Swamp Dragon’s Breath weapon is a 30 ft. cone of acid, usable once every 2d4 rounds. It deals 2d8 points of damage, with a reflex save (DC 17) for half-damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a swamp dragon must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, the swamp dragon establishes a hold on the opponent with its mouth and drags it into deep water, attempting to pin it to the bottom.

Hold Breath (Ex): A swamp dragon can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 × its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Explosive Death (Ex): When a swamp dragon is killed, that is reduced to -10 hit points, the delicate chemical balance of its body is broken, and it explodes – dealing 5d8 acid damage to everyone in a 30 foot blast with a reflex save (DC 20) is allowed for half-damage.

Icewalker
2007-04-13, 03:24 PM
I like em. Quite cool. the Explosive Death of the swamp dragon is quite inspired. I really like the idea of branching out in terms of dragon physiology, like a dragon that swims instead of flies.

The description of the hunting dragon seems a bit odd. Similar to a horse?

Scorpina
2007-04-13, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure about that fluff. Might need revisiting...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-13, 03:31 PM
Swamp Dragon, hehe... Terry Prathett FTW!

Danu
2007-04-13, 04:18 PM
These are excellent monsters! An enthusiastic yes to both of 'em!

The hunting drake reminds me of the rage drake, but it has a definite advantage in its wings and the fast healing (which is an excellent touch for keeping the dragon around and capable of fleeing). The damage on the claws is wrong however. As the primary attack, the drake would deal it's full strength damage with it's claws, so it should be 1d6+9. Since the bite is secondary, it would do half of that (rounded down), so 1d8+4.

With the swamp dragon, why not simply give it a racial bonus on Hide checks in it's favored terrain rather then give it skill focus? That feat slot could likely be used for something better, like Power Attack. Also, which is the primary? The bite or the tail slap? And you bite _and_ tail slap, or is it one or the other?

Matthew
2007-04-13, 09:24 PM
Good stuff. The Challenge Ratings may be a bit low, though. I would really like for these to have some associated fluff.

The Demented One
2007-04-13, 09:34 PM
I love the Swamp Dragon, but I'm worried there might be some copyright/trademarkish issues with it, so I'm afraid I have to give it a no. The Hunting Drake, on the other hand, gets a yes, although I would consider reducing its size to medium if I were you. However, I would adjust their CR's: I'd leave the drake at 4, but up the swamp dragon to 5, maybe even 6.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-13, 11:10 PM
Cool, but one issue: If a Hunting Drake has only animal intelligence, doesn't that mean it can be trained/reared? If so, it would be one vicious flying mount.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-11, 02:29 PM
Bump. Keep voting, people!