PDA

View Full Version : Help with Alagaesia Elves

drewdp
2015-04-06, 12:59 AM
I am running a campaign where the party will be meeting some Immortals. These Immortals will be much faster and stronger than any mortal race. Think Alagaesia Elves or most TV Vampires. The issue I'm having is coming up with base stats for these guys. These guys are supposed to be 100 times stronger than a human, but i'm not sure that str100 would actually be how to achieve this. Is a str20 twice as strong as a str10? It wouldn't seem so because two str10 men would get no bonus to lift something, where a str20 would get +5.
How exactly do the stats work in this scenario? What would you guys do?

For the record, balance should NOT be considered in this. The party is here to role play with these ancient beings, and will know ahead of time that they are essentially dealing with gods. But my party isn't always the wisest and may attack anyway and I want to be ready with the proper stats. If they attack, the offending party will only be punished to unconsciousness and then healed once they realize its a bad idea.
I'm imagining these guys to have a CR between 25-30 with an average class level of 10. The Tarrasque only has STR 30, but has Immunities and powers to boost it's CR. These guys will only have their stats and class levels, although I may give them regeneration and some poison/disease immunities.
Thank you for any advice you guys have.

Camman1984
2015-04-06, 02:20 AM
If you want them to be unkillable god-like npc's i dont think it is really necessary to have stats (stats make things killable) in this case i would just use DM fluff text if they attacked and describe them gracefully dodging the blow before casting epic-sleep and knocking people out, it has usually worked for me.

If you do want stats, stats in the 20's would be appropriate for someone of godlike but naturally grown power.

NKNDNGNR
2015-04-06, 09:35 AM
My 5e campaign revolves around demigods, quasi-deities, Ascended beings, and other Zelazny-style superhuman types of the sort you describe. What I've been doing is as follows:

With bounded accuracy, your core ability is always going to play a significant role in your task resolution accuracy. Therefore, allowing abilities higher than 20 really does go a long way toward building superhuman types. Two fighters can both be 11th level, but if the mortal fighter has Strength 20 and the immortal fighter has Strength 26 (and commensurate Constitution, Dexterity, etc.), the immortal is going to dominate on average.
Check out the epic boons from the Dungeon Master's Guide and allow them, on a case-by-case basis, for non-epic characters. Use the boons as guidelines to create your own where needed. For example, I was trying to duplicate Corwin of Amber's feat from Nine Princes in Amber where he lifted and carried a car. Not even a 30 Strength let me pull this off... but when I created a new epic boon that allowed all with the Blood of Amber to lift/carry/drag/break/etc. as though they were a creature two sizes larger, that got me the numbers I needed.

Neither of these hacks requires such characters to be epic level -- going back to the Corwin of Amber example, I statted him as a 12th-level battlemaster/1st-level bard. But with a Strength of 25, the ability to lift weight as a Huge creature, the Epic Boon of Immortality, and the Epic Boon of Shadow Walking, he's plenty scary.

Mr.Moron
2015-04-06, 09:44 AM
You could probably put a template like this on a stack of hitpoints and an otherwise normal suite of "PC-like" abilities without having to really wrestle for a ton of new mechanics:

They have advantage on all attack rolls, checks, and saves.
All attack rolls made against them and checks or saves made against their attacks abilities have disadvantage.
3/Times per round they may treat any d20 roll of less than 12 as 12.
They roll initiative twice and take gain a full turn at each. If the iniative checks would put their turns back-to-back, place the 2nd check below the next-highest initiative value.
3 legendary actions per turn: They can spend one legendary action to do something they could otherwise do as a bonus action. They can spend 2 to something they could do as an action.

eastmabl
2015-04-06, 10:23 AM
I am running a campaign where the party will be meeting some Immortals. These Immortals will be much faster and stronger than any mortal race. Think Alagaesia Elves or most TV Vampires. The issue I'm having is coming up with base stats for these guys. These guys are supposed to be 100 times stronger than a human, but i'm not sure that str100 would actually be how to achieve this. Is a str20 twice as strong as a str10? It wouldn't seem so because two str10 men would get no bonus to lift something, where a str20 would get +5.
How exactly do the stats work in this scenario? What would you guys do?

For the record, balance should NOT be considered in this. The party is here to role play with these ancient beings, and will know ahead of time that they are essentially dealing with gods. But my party isn't always the wisest and may attack anyway and I want to be ready with the proper stats. If they attack, the offending party will only be punished to unconsciousness and then healed once they realize its a bad idea.
I'm imagining these guys to have a CR between 25-30 with an average class level of 10. The Tarrasque only has STR 30, but has Immunities and powers to boost it's CR. These guys will only have their stats and class levels, although I may give them regeneration and some poison/disease immunities.
Thank you for any advice you guys have.

Reskin something. Depending upon your party's level, some of the giants with some souped up abilities (like spellcasting) might do the trick.