PDA

View Full Version : Item help: The Hat of Heavy Hands

Captain Kablam
2015-04-06, 01:05 AM
I want to make this hat.
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/skullgirls/images/2/28/Cerebella_offical_render.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120508185935
Function wise, I want it to be able to make two slams as a natural attack, have reach of 10, and even wield large weapons. With a strength score of 16. I am miserable when it comes to custom item creation. Can anyone help me and tell me what spells it would take and how much it would cost?

GilesTheCleric
2015-04-06, 02:29 AM
Checking out the intelligent items section in the AaEG 139 might be a good place to start; polymorphing/animate objects/awakening might also work. Symbiont from SS 131 with some template shenanigans could work, as could just wearing a construct on your head. Making it an ancestral weapon/weapon of legacy/weapon familiar is a possibility. Maybe a psicrystal or some other sort of familiar could also work, but I don't know enough about psionics to say. Depending on whether that's an item, a creature, or something else, you have a lot of options. What is that from, anyway? The art doesn't look like Kill la Kill.

If you're the DM, then just make it up, using the regular DMG pricing scheme and relating each ability to a continuous-use spell.

Captain Kablam
2015-04-06, 02:53 AM
. What is that from, anyway? The art doesn't look like Kill la Kill.

Her name's Cerebella, she's from Skullgirls. Click on this link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wdrc-NTKvU) and enrich your life. Actually, look at Big Band (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNhADoCjdoI) too while you're at it. And thanks for the advice.

GilesTheCleric
2015-04-06, 03:23 PM
I want to make this hat.
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/skullgirls/images/2/28/Cerebella_offical_render.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120508185935
Function wise, I want it to be able to make two slams as a natural attack,
Fist of Stone, wiz 1 (CAr 107) "In addition, you gain the ability to make one natural slam attack, dealing 1d6 points of damage + your new Strength bonus (or 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus if you make no other attacks in that round)"

have reach of 10, and even wield large weapons.
Enlarge person, wiz 1 (PHB 226)

With a strength score of 16.
Enlarge person (+2 size str), fist of stone (+6 enh str to attack and grapple) given a base of 10 should reasonably add up to 16. Add in ability bonus (enhancement str) +6 if you feel like those two won't cut it.

I am miserable when it comes to custom item creation. Can anyone help me and tell me what spells it would take and how much it would cost?
special slot: head (hat/headband/helmet), doesn't match body slot affinity (+50% price); shirt, belt, or bracers slot would match affinity (+0% price). This is listed as "uncustomary space limitation" on DMG 285.
spell effect: use-activated or continuous (I'm not sure how you want the item to work, but we'll assume continuous)
max required caster level: wiz 1 and wiz 1
spell levels: 1 and 1
multiple different abilities: multiply cost of higher-costed one by 2

maths:
Both of the spells cost the same, 1 (wiz 1) * 1 (spell level) * 2k = 2k gp each. We multiply the higher-costed one by 2 (either) = 4k + 2k gp. All that's left is the uncustomary space limitation, so 6k * 1.5 = 9k. Don't forget to add in the cost of the headgear you plan on placing this on (probably just a few gp). There's no masterwork cost (of 300gp) since a hat/helmet isn't a weapon or armour. However, if you wish for it to be made of an exotic material, you'll need to add the cost of that based on the weight of the hat.

If you want to increase the CL of the wizard to increase the dispel DC, you could do that (20th level wizard for both spells: 20 (wiz 20) * 1 (SL) * 2k = 40k each, so 120k for mult abilities, then 180k total for it being a hat). Changing the caster level of the wizard also opens up the possibility of making this a use-activated or 1/day item, which would cut your cost to 20*1*1.8=36k ea, 108k for two, 162k hat slot, or 180k * 1/5 (daily charges) = 36k hat slot. if you wanted the CL 1 version to work 4 or less times per day, you can reduce the cost that way as well, eg. 4/day = 9k * 4/5 = 7.2k; 1/day = 9k * 1/5 = 1.8k.

Fist of Stone has a set duration of 1 min, so changing the CL on a use-activated item won't make it last any longer for the complete effect you want (enlarge person is 1 min/CL). CL also doesn't affect any bonus or damage variables in either spell.

arkangel111
2015-04-06, 03:23 PM
Girallon's blessing seems like the obvious base spell for it. Its a level 3 spell, so 5 is the caster level. As a Gm I would rule losing the 4 claws and rend an equal trade for 2 slams at 1d6. You want it continous and its a 10 min/level spell.

Plugging these in to formula's gives you:
(3x5x2000)x1.5 = 45000

Personally I wouldn't worry about the intelligent item part. but if you reallly want it it gets more complicated.

There are no rules for a strength score so personally I would go with the 2 mental stats 16 and one at 10 and giving 3 lesser powers.

16 int
16 wis
10 cha

Add 6000 for another stat at 16 which you grab strength.

You also get 3 lesser powers.
I would grab hold person 3/day - 6500
Cure mod 3/day - 6500
and daze 3/day - 6500

I would refluff it to be the hold person is it extends its arms to hold target in place, and the daze to be it hitting something in the head. I would have the cure mod be it grabbing a potion and force feeding you.

45000 + 31500 = 76500

I don't know how that would compare to other items that do similar, so adjust up or down based on what you find.