PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Warrior [New Base Class][PEACH]

KoDT69
2007-04-13, 02:22 PM
So after all the Wizard vs. Fighter stuff I decided to make one useful class that is the best of both worlds, only less broken than an actual Wizard. I give you -->

THE ARCANE WARRIOR

Alignment Any.
Hit Die d8

Class Skills
Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int)

Skill Points at 1st Level (2 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level 2 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Arcane Warriors are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with an Arcane Warrior’s gestures, which can cause his spells with somatic components to fail.

Spells
An Arcane Warrior casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. To learn or cast a spell, an Arcane Warrior must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an Arcane Warrior’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Arcane Warrior’s Charisma modifier.
Like other spellcasters, an Arcane Warrior can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Arcane Warrior. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score.
An Arcane Warrior’s selection of spells is extremely limited. An Arcane Warrior begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of your choice. At each new Arcane Warrior level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: Arcane Warrior Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells an Arcane Warrior knows is not affected by his Charisma score; the numbers on Table: Arcane Warrior Spells Known are fixed.) These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the Arcane Warrior has gained some understanding of by study. The Arcane Warrior can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however.
Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered Arcane Warrior level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a Arcane Warrior can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the Arcane Warrior "loses" the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level Arcane Warrior spell the Arcane Warrior can cast. An Arcane Warrior may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.
Unlike a wizard or a cleric, an Arcane Warrior need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

OK the table got messed up so:

Full Fighter BaB
Bard Spells Known and Casting progression (half caster, maybe better)
Sorcerer style unprepared casting
Saves: Fort and Will strong, Reflex weak
Bonus feats at level 1, 5, 10, 15, 20

What do you think? :elan:

EvilElitest
2007-04-13, 03:50 PM
There is a class like this in the BLackmoor settings if i recall
from,
EE

KoDT69
2007-04-13, 04:05 PM
I still don't have a lot of the new books. I just figured this class makes sense, and especially good for an NPC type character.

Matthew
2007-04-13, 09:22 PM
Seems okay to me. I would like to see the Table and associated fluff, though...

Khoran
2007-04-13, 10:37 PM
Seems alright, but I see one fatal problem to this class: The Duskblade. It's almost the same class as the one you are presenting us with, but a more restircted Spell List (Which for all I know may be this classe's saving grace.), but they can do it all in Light and eventually Medium Armor and Sheilds, as well as hand full of other abilities.

KoDT69
2007-04-15, 10:01 AM
No idea what a Duskblade is. This class uses the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list unrestricted. I used the number of spells known and the number caster per day on the same advancement as the Bard class. Up to 6th level spells, full BaB, 2 good saves, and I was thinking of adding a class ability to ignore cetain % spell failure to wer light armor or something. Maybe it could scale by level, so by 20th he could be a full-plate armored shield bearing dude with 6th level arcane spells. That would have some potential. All the mobility problems of the fighter solved! Other than that I think it's pretty straight forward. No game-breaking spells, but no restrictions on what he can learn either.

Vaynor
2007-04-15, 12:08 PM
No idea what a Duskblade is. This class uses the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list unrestricted. I used the number of spells known and the number caster per day on the same advancement as the Bard class. Up to 6th level spells, full BaB, 2 good saves, and I was thinking of adding a class ability to ignore cetain % spell failure to wer light armor or something. Maybe it could scale by level, so by 20th he could be a full-plate armored shield bearing dude with 6th level arcane spells. That would have some potential. All the mobility problems of the fighter solved! Other than that I think it's pretty straight forward. No game-breaking spells, but no restrictions on what he can learn either.

I'd say medium at 20th, but give him heavy shields too. If you get a mithral full-plate it counts as medium armor.

Matthew
2007-04-15, 12:17 PM
Dusk Blade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20060905a), also known as Fighter/Mage...

Beguiler (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20060711a), also known as Mage/Thief...

Roderick_BR
2007-04-15, 01:39 PM
I started doing something like a ranger/sorcerer once as a elf only class for a game, but Dusk Blade works perfectly. If you want him more versatile, you could give him a sorcerer's spell limits (spells known and spell list), and remove some class features.