PDA

View Full Version : Special Ammunition question

SangoProduction
2015-04-06, 07:08 AM
Hey guys, here's the situation. I've been using an Iron-Breaker (from Ultimate Equipment Guide Volume 1 or 2), which basically launches 1 pound balls of iron (or ~1.5 pound balls of lead). We've been saying "Yeah, arrows, they can break when used (not often really, as an archer IRL), but balls of iron? They wouldn't break."

However, I am now looking into getting magical ammunition. I remember there being a rule about magic ammunition always breaking, but couldn't actually find the rules that said so.

So, the question here is: does the ammunition always break/get expended after a single use, no matter what, or was that just an extension of the arrows breaking rule?

Ashtagon
2015-04-06, 07:13 AM
by RAW, thrown weapons (eg throwing axes, spears) cost full price to enchant. Shuriken are an oddball, in that they are not expended when thrown (although you still have to go back an collect them), and do get the "ammunition" x0.02 price discount. I'm guessing that's more to make up for the fact that no one in their right mind would consider taking them.

I think a playable rule of thumb is: if the ammunition is expendable, it gives the x0.02 price discount. If it can be re-used, it costs the same to enchant as any regular weapon.

SangoProduction
2015-04-06, 08:43 AM
by RAW, thrown weapons (eg throwing axes, spears) cost full price to enchant. Shuriken are an oddball, in that they are not expended when thrown (although you still have to go back an collect them), and do get the "ammunition" x0.02 price discount. I'm guessing that's more to make up for the fact that no one in their right mind would consider taking them.

I think a playable rule of thumb is: if the ammunition is expendable, it gives the x0.02 price discount. If it can be re-used, it costs the same to enchant as any regular weapon.

That makes good sense. But if the ammunition isn't expended, you'd still have to collect them, and thus are intrinsically less valuable for it...but then again so are thrown weapons...Well, thanks for the information.