PDA

View Full Version : D20 Modern, minis?

TheThan
2007-04-13, 03:44 PM
Ok I’m considering running my d20 modern GI Joe game (GI Joe Alpha Team (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15681)) in a real life table top game. However I don’t have any minis to use for the combat events (planning on quite a few so I sort of need ‘em). Now I figured out I can buy a bag of green army men. Then paint them and use them for cobra troops.
However I don’t have any idea what to use for the heroes. Now I’ve done some research and I haven’t found anything that I like (not that I’ve found a lot anyway). I thought about using the smaller (I think their like 3 1/2 inches tall or so) GI Joe action figures, but they're too tall for a 1inch grid, so I need something smaller and I think that the green army men will work just fine.
So does anyone have any idea of what sort of minis I could use for hero and unique characters for my GI Joe game ?

Thanks in advance, TheThan.

Matthew
2007-04-13, 05:21 PM
Heh, heh. That sounds like fun. No idea what kind of figures you can use for the GI Joes, though.

Jimp
2007-04-13, 06:04 PM
Maybe a cheap bucket of plastic army figures?

TheThan
2007-04-13, 06:15 PM
Maybe a cheap bucket of plastic army figures?

That’s what I’m planing on using for cobra troopers, what I need is some unique looking figures for unique NPCs and player characters. Unless you're thinking of something diffrent than I am...

MellowMelon
2007-04-13, 06:38 PM
I find that starwars d20 minis fit in quite well with modern games. Just pray you don't get all iconic jedi.

Logic
2007-04-13, 08:59 PM
There are some new small GI Joe Sigma Six miniatures that might fit to the scale you are looking for. Check your local toystore, or toy aisle of your favorite shopping center.

At the very least, you will be able to see what you are getting as opposed to random Star Wars Miniatures.

reorith
2007-04-13, 11:10 PM
you could have the players pick and paint their own minis from the bucket.

The J Pizzel
2007-04-13, 11:28 PM
I third the SW minis idea. I've used them for plenty of encounter outiside of SW and they work like a champ.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-04-13, 11:43 PM
Man, I'd love to do that game with like, real G.I Joe toys from my childhood :D

Erom
2007-04-14, 01:14 PM
Legos might work, exept for two things:

A) cost, a lot of people use old legos left over from childhood, but if you don't have any it can actually get kind of pricy to aquire
B) look. They may not fit with plastic-bucket army men that well

If those aren't a problem though, legos kick ass for minis. A 3x3 lego grid is almost perfectly an inch x inch tile

TheThan
2007-04-14, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I though of doing it with the original 3 ½ (or so) inch action figures but their just a little too big for a table top game. It’ll easily cover the whole room, especially when you count those awesome vehicles. As far as letting them paint their own, I might have to do that.

I don’t have any starwars minis and money is a concern here so I don’t want to spend an unreasonable amount of money here. (Although I could buy the minis and play the minis game too.) Lego people do make great minis but alas I don’t have any, as I was into GI Joe instead of Lego’s when I was a kid.

Swordwind
2007-04-14, 05:46 PM
TAG (www.theassaultgroup.com) do a good modern 28mm minis and have a large range.

Replacement
2007-04-14, 10:55 PM
One of the Heroscape boosters might have what your looking for, the minis are a tiny bit big for the grid but the detail is pretty good on them.

Rahdjan
2007-04-15, 12:10 AM
Heroclix S.H.E.I.L.D. agents should work to some degree.

Logic
2007-04-15, 12:18 AM
This (http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default.cfm?page=browse&subbrand_id=338) is what I reccomended. They do have sets of 3-4 figures, and not just vehicles. Since they are GI Joes, the probably fit the feel you are going for the best.