PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Trying to maximize bonuses to AC

Compliant
2015-04-06, 10:24 AM
I'm playing Pathfinder now and as a hobby I like to make weird builds that probably wouldn't work.

Right now I'm trying to build as low a level character with the highest AC I can get. I'm mostly focusing on things that give bonuses to AC from other attributes like the monk's wisdom to AC and the duelists Int to AC. I also came across the 3rd party feat Web of Steel (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/rogue-genius-games/combat-feats/web-of-steel-combat) that gives a scaling boost to AC.

So, the main question is there any other ways to get general bonuses to AC, not stuff like Osyluth Guile and Smite Evil that give bonuses in specific situations. Is there anyway to get Charisma to AC? Constitution? Strength?

Vhaidara
2015-04-06, 10:32 AM
Well, since you're okay with third Party, Dreamscarred Press' Stalker gets +4 to AC when recovering maneuvers. Throw in a potion of Mage Armor and Shield.

As an added bonus, you can get a Stalker Art that lets you spend a ki point to force all enemies to roll twice and take the lower one.

Secret Wizard
2015-04-06, 11:00 AM
Your best option is to go Halfling for the Cautious feats with Crane Style. If you go Brawler with good Dex (18), you can achieve huge amounts of AC this way.

Another option (though a bit of a late bloomer) is the Kensai Magus 7/Student of War PrC 2. If you have 26 INT, you get +8 dodge AC and +8 AC bonus to armor, even with 0 Dexterity (though you'd need to pick up the Artful Dodge feat to qualify for Student of War). Combine it with Halfling for Crane Style and Cautious feats, Dodge, Artful Dodge, Heroic Leader and you can rack up quite a lot of AC, specially when using Mage Armor through Kensai and adding in your Know Your Enemy AC bonus.

the_archduke
2015-04-06, 01:19 PM
A Meditant Psychic warrior gets wis to AC;

Take the Ascetic path for a scaling bonus to AC;

Psionic power inertial armor is 4 AC plus 1 per two PP you spend. Lasts hours/level

Powers Thicken Skin and Force Screen aren't as long lasting but can add up

I am playing this right now, and by level 20, my AC should be in the mid 60s

-Edit
I just reread the OP, how low level were you thinking of?
A Halfling Ascetic Meditant psychic warrior with inertial armor and dodge feat would have
(Base 10 +3 wis +4 dex +4 armor +1 size +1 dodge) = 23 AC at level 1

by level 4 with dodge, psionic dodge and crane style as feats and using total defense action)
(Base 10 +3 wis +1 scaling meditant bonus +4 dex +5 armor +1 size +2 dodge +5 total defense +1 psionic armor) = 32 AC not counting any gear

charcoalninja
2015-04-06, 02:01 PM
A Meditant Psychic warrior gets wis to AC;

Take the Ascetic path for a scaling bonus to AC;

Psionic power inertial armor is 4 AC plus 1 per two PP you spend. Lasts hours/level

Powers Thicken Skin and Force Screen aren't as long lasting but can add up

I am playing this right now, and by level 20, my AC should be in the mid 60s

-Edit
I just reread the OP, how low level were you thinking of?
A Halfling Ascetic Meditant psychic warrior with inertial armor and dodge feat would have
(Base 10 +3 wis +4 dex +4 armor +1 size +1 dodge) = 23 AC at level 1

by level 4 with dodge, psionic dodge and crane style as feats and using total defense action)
(Base 10 +3 wis +1 scaling meditant bonus +4 dex +5 armor +1 size +2 dodge +5 total defense +1 psionic armor) = 32 AC not counting any gear

Dipping 2 levels of Master of Many Styles monk lets you pick up Snake Style and Snake Fang allowing you to make AOOs against anyone that misses you in melee.

So in a similar Psychic Warrior vein:
Master of Many Styles 2 / Kneticist Psychic warrior X
Feats:
1) Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Snake Style, Dodge
2) Snake Fang
3) Psionic Dodge, Psionic Meditation
4) Crane Style
5) Combat Reflexes
Using the quoted numbers:
This gives you: 10 + 3 WIS +4 Dex + 5 Inertial Armour + 4 Force Screen + 4 Fight Defensively + 2 deflection(Martial Kneticist) + 2 dodge + 1 size = 35 AC
Spend your focus as an immediate action for an additional +4 dodge bonus so 39. By level 5.
Anyone that misses you in melee provokes an attack of opportunity. You can make 5 of these a round. If you don't spend your immediate action on a +4 dodge you can instead spend it on making 2 attacks for your first AOO that round from someone missing you. Yay snake fang.

Master of many styles monk doesn't need the prerequisites for Snake Fang so yay.
Only downside here is that you don't have room yet for Weapon Finesse to use your Dex to hit. But meh damage, you're Stunning Fist on AOOs, and can expend your psionic focus at the start of your round to use energy Ray as a touch attack for free in order to keep your fighting defensively active. As a bonus, don't manifest defensively as that will provoke more AOOs giving you more changes for face punching.

grarrrg
2015-04-06, 07:23 PM
I'm just gonna dump this here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?369857-Ultimate-Arena-Champion-PF&p=18055296&viewfull=1#post18055296)...I'm sure there's something useful in there.