PDA

View Full Version : Index the wizards circle

pseudodragon
2015-04-06, 03:04 PM
chuffy requested a game, so here it is! first level D&D 5th edition.
please post your characters here, or link it here, or pm a link to me.
original thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?407678-Looking-to-play-a-5e-game!&p=19070149#post19070149

Ellowryn
2015-04-06, 03:33 PM
So, first level, are we doing standard or with feats? Whats the PB or are we rolling for stats? Any other special things we should know about?

Otherwise, Yay! Ill have my warlock put together later on tonight or tomorrow once i can get to my books.

pseudodragon
2015-04-06, 03:42 PM
So, first level, are we doing standard or with feats? Whats the PB or are we rolling for stats? Any other special things we should know about?

Otherwise, Yay! Ill have my warlock put together later on tonight or tomorrow once i can get to my books.

yes, it will start at first level. but, i do not do XP, so you will level quickly.
roll for ability scores, on this thread, please. (4d6, take 3 highest)
special things- pay attention to how the party is set up, do not have an unbalanced party. and i am only somewhat merciful as a DM.

bcool999
2015-04-06, 04:37 PM
I will roll up a cleric. Any particular pantheon or does deity not matter? Might just go Lathander or Pelor. Variant humans allowed (the ones that get a feat and skill and +1 to only 2 stats)?

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

EDIT: Hmm... with rolls like that the temptation for a normal human increases...

Samshiir
2015-04-06, 05:07 PM
Here we go, taking a look at the rolls then will go from there:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Pepz
2015-04-06, 05:24 PM
Alright, I'm almost scared of rolling :) Always rolled badly in real life. Like I said in the original thread, I'll try to adjust to the party to round it out.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

EDIT: It's workable :)

Eldamar
2015-04-06, 05:35 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Ellowryn
2015-04-06, 05:54 PM
Okay, lets see what the dice gods have to say today!

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

I.... I have seen many a 18 rolled on 4d6b3, but i believe this is the first time i have seen a 3.... Could i perhaps get a reroll?

Eldamar
2015-04-06, 06:01 PM

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

I.... I have seen many a 18 rolled on 4d6b3, but i believe this is the first time i have seen a 3.... Could i perhaps get a reroll?

I'm trying to imagine what a character would be like with any attribute score of 3.

bcool999
2015-04-06, 07:45 PM

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Well done! A 3 is a 1/1296 occurrence in 4d6b3 since it requires you to roll 4 1's in a row. I know some DMs have a rule where a 3 becomes a 19 simply because it is so rare. Hope you can get a reroll!

Chuffy
2015-04-07, 12:54 AM
I suppose I should probably roll up my stats eh?

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Happy with those rolls. Can I use the variant human in the PHB? (+1 to 2 stats, prof in one extra skill, and start with a feat)

Anyone wanna run a combo background? If someone goes paladin or cleric we could have studied at the same temples under the same god.

Pepz
2015-04-08, 12:56 AM
To help with balancing the party (and myself with choosing), here's a table of players and preferences so far:

Player
Class
Race
Character Sheet

Chuffy
Monk
Human

Eldamar

Ellowryn
Warlock

bcool999
Cleric
Human?

Samshiir

Pepz
Druid
Water Genasi

Chuffy
2015-04-08, 04:09 AM
I went human monk using the variant human. I'll post my sheet Soon.

Pepz
2015-04-08, 10:38 AM
So, I'm going for a Water Genasi Druid. Do we know anything storywise yet, or should I just assume he'll fit in?

Eldamar
2015-04-08, 01:13 PM
I'd really like a storyline before I start committing to a character so I can get an idea of what I'd like to role play as.

pseudodragon
2015-04-09, 04:36 PM
the storyline will be that you are sort of town guards, but everywhere. you seek to aid the weak, covertly increase the justice of the world, thwart tyrants and dictators with too much power, fight corruption, and just generally kill evil.

you are all travelling to a city named helotes, each for your own reason.

everyone, roll a D6, and if your number matches up with someone else, you encounter them on the road.
if your character was at their home for whatever reason, their master sent them out to fetch something from helotes.

I'd really like a storyline before I start committing to a character so I can get an idea of what I'd like to role play as.

and yes, i do have a storyline planned out.

Ellowryn
2015-04-09, 05:45 PM
Er, can i get a ruling on getting a reroll for my stats due to having a 3?

And as for the d6, [roll0]

bcool999
2015-04-09, 05:58 PM
Dice Roll: [roll0]

pseudodragon
2015-04-09, 06:24 PM
Er, can i get a ruling on getting a reroll for my stats due to having a 3?

And as for the d6, [roll0]

the three is a 19, but it cannot be raised above 20 with racial bonuses.

as for the variant rules, if its in the players handbook, you can use it.

Ellowryn
2015-04-09, 07:40 PM
the three is a 19, but it cannot be raised above 20 with racial bonuses.

as for the variant rules, if its in the players handbook, you can use it.

O.o Yay! I will have my character finished by tomorrow evening.

On second thought, i had a chance to put something together, so here is Geth the Warlock (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=153567), let me know if i am missing something or made a mistake otherwise i look foreward to playing with you all!

Chuffy
2015-04-10, 12:51 AM
Let's see what happens cap'n. [roll0]

Also my character is done! Well mostly, I need a name, and some fluffy bits.

Monky monk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=152962)

bcool999
2015-04-10, 01:00 AM
I also have a Character done... though missing a lot of the fluff such as a name or background... is there a specific pantheon the DM wants us to use or are any in the back of the book fine? I don't have a particular preference except for the Life Domain of course.

pseudodragon
2015-04-11, 10:37 PM
anything in the book is fine, you can use any variant in the book.

okay, so some of you see others heading the same way. do you greet them, or ignore them, or something else?

the character sheets that have been posted are good.

SouthpawSoldier
2015-04-15, 11:48 AM
Room for a Ranger?

Specifically:

Half-Orc DEX-based TWF BM Ranger, using the Spell-less variant from this Wizards article (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes).

Intent for companion is a Swarm of Rats; summary of 5th level version can be found in the RAW/RAI thread here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19102081&postcount=14.Concensus was concept was RAW-legal (though needed to add a method of healing); the linked version is after some input from the forum, though final version has yet to be critiqued.

Character is (will be) a blend of Shrek, Cyrano (using this method of fencing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtLoGBmu5mg), Dr. House, and Willard. Currently in a 5th level campaign that's going slow; figure would be fun to start from 1st level and see how he develops. Conceptualization has been a pet project of mine for the last couple weeks. I have a 5th level sheet done up, but 'twouldn't hard to pare it down to a 1st level sheet.

Stat Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Meeting Roll: [roll6]

SouthpawSoldier
2015-04-15, 12:00 PM
Forgot starting gold; using that option from chapter 5, if kosher.
[roll0]x10

Edit: Here's Vincent "Broke-Tooth":http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=166413, the level 1 version.

pseudodragon
2015-04-16, 07:14 AM
southpaw, the more the merrier. the not- in the PHB variants, i will have to look over. i do not have time right now, but i will in about 10 hours.

SouthpawSoldier
2015-04-16, 09:03 AM
southpaw, the more the merrier. the not- in the PHB variants, i will have to look over. i do not have time right now, but i will in about 10 hours.

Sweet; just remember, the linked Rat Swarm statblock is for a 5th level ranger; there will be obvious reductions to HP, AC, etc.

pseudodragon
2015-04-17, 07:28 AM
will be mia for 2 days

pseudodragon
2015-04-19, 05:17 PM
southpaw, go ahead and make your magic-less ranger, looks interesting

okay, you see dark figures about 30 feet ahead of you. roll initiative.

pseudodragon
2015-04-22, 07:44 PM
next three players to post get a +1 magic weapon

SouthpawSoldier
2015-04-22, 07:50 PM
Whohoo! Magic weapon! Feeling like Dee Dee when she gets into the lab; "What does this shiny thing doooooo?!"

pseudodragon
2015-04-22, 08:56 PM
Whohoo! Magic weapon! Feeling like Dee Dee when she gets into the lab; "What does this shiny thing doooooo?!"
hey, how far along is your sheet? is your character ready to go?

SouthpawSoldier
2015-04-22, 09:01 PM
IIRC, all it needs is the downscaled Companion. I'll be off work in about 7 hrs (on lunch now). I'll double check when I get home, so figure about 0400ish MST if any changes need to be made.

*Edit* Home now, realized no companion until 3rd level. Other than double-checking equipment math and stats, I should be g2g: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=166413

Question/issue; how the heck does it work for making potions with the Herbalist's kit?

PHB crafting says 1/2 item cost in materials, + 1day's labor/5g value. Equates to 25g +10days per potion. However, the stated formula is for "non-magical objects".

Herbalist's Kit only says it's required for potions.

DMG says crafting common magical items requires caster level 3, and 100g per item, +1 day's labor/25g value. PHB says potions are common magical items, but DMG rules would mean crafting costs twice purchase price.

Neither makes sense; a week to brew a potion is a long time; the whole point of being a Ranger is not needing to BUY herbs I can forage myself (unless in an environment they can't be found).

The Sage Advice post on the topic: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/12/05/potion-time-and-cost/

Seems designed to discourage potion brewing by players.

I do have a player created supplement that is designed to add complexity and flavor to herbalism, but I'd like to avoid that much homebrew. It's an excellent read: http://www.reddit.com/r/DnDBehindTheScreen/comments/2yqrdv/5e_herbalism_alchemy_v10_fanmade_supplement/
but complex to throw into a PbP.

Ellowryn
2015-04-23, 05:51 PM
Im always down for free stuff. I have a question though, are we going to get an ICC or are we just going to do everything here?

pseudodragon
2015-04-27, 03:20 PM
Im always down for free stuff. I have a question though, are we going to get an ICC or are we just going to do everything here?
is there any reason to do it elsewhere, why not just keep it in one thread?