PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 to 3.5 cleric question

thunderzach
2015-04-06, 03:17 PM
What's the difference between clerics of 3.0 and 3.5 if any?

I play 3.5 exclusively so I have little knowledge of 3.0 rules. I can't seem to find that information anywhere without purchasing the 3.0 books.

Curmudgeon
2015-04-06, 03:47 PM
Clerics' changes include clarification of their alignment aura and mass versions of cure and inflict spells that can be cast spontaneously.

That's about it, really. They're one of the least-changed classes from 3.0 to 3.5.

GilesTheCleric
2015-04-06, 03:50 PM
As far as I'm aware, there isn't any difference. 3.5 changed some skills, none of which were on the cleric list. Knowledge:local (region) might be something you run into, particularly in FR, which is now just knowledge:local. Many spells changed, including the Bear's/Bull's/etc line, as well as Harm and I think Heal. Since the spells changed, that means domains that included those spells are slightly different. 3.5 also introduced the idea of standard/move/swift/immediate/free actions rather than action/full-action, so spells and abilities that are based on "1 action" are now 1 standard action.

Some feats were also changed or removed, such as Ambidexterity and Expertise, but clerics don't often pick those up. I don't believe any core metamagic feats changed (TaB's Persistent Spell is +4 instead of +6, though). Combat rules were removed or changed as well, such as called shots, but again clerics don't often use those rules.

If you look at 3.0 splatbooks like Defenders of the Faith or Deities and Demigods, you'll notice that with the removal of some items (eg. shortspear, longspear), deities aren't exactly as written anymore, and there are rules that were never brought into 3.5, like Prestige Domains.

Pluto!
2015-04-06, 04:09 PM
Not much changed.

The differences I remember from 3.5:

3.0 Clerics' ability buffs work differently (1d4+1 stats for hours/level), Righteous Might has like twice its 3.5 bonuses, the Planar Ally line caps at 8/16/24 HD, some spells shift a level or two (Mass Heal level 8, Etherealness was I think level 6) and Animal Domain has an animal companion.

EDIT:
And Darkness does what it says on the tin.

Troacctid
2015-04-06, 04:14 PM
A quick Google search reveals that you can find the 3.0 version of the SRD here (http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html). (There might be a more easily navigable version somewhere, but I don't often have cause to reference this stuff, so I dunno.)

Psyren
2015-04-06, 04:26 PM
The class didn't change much, but the spells (e.g. darkness, haste, harm and summon monster) did, a lot. So focus your attention there.