PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Powerful Half-dragons

Hiro
2015-04-06, 03:40 PM
I love playing half-dragons but the rules for them are lackluster. Is it acceptable to make their breath weapon operate like the sorcerer's bloodline power? That way it scales with class levels (instead of racial HD? which is bupkuss.)

But one thing I wonder

Would Wish allow them to invert their bloodline? Strengthen the dragon half and suppress the human part? Making them more like the "Warrior" Dragons from Breath of Fire 3?

Like they have all the strengths of their dragon type for their age-class

Necromancy
2015-04-06, 04:06 PM
It's not designed to be a PC option.

Breath weapon is crap anyway.

Psyren
2015-04-06, 04:09 PM
Wish can do anything - whether it will (or will do so safely/with no drawback) is up to your GM.

As far as getting your breath weapon to scale with class levels, you may be out of luck without something like the bloodline power.

Necromancy
2015-04-06, 04:18 PM
This is an ability that you can replicate with a 4th level spell

Even a sorcerer gets like 3 a day for 20d6 at 20th level. For a 30' cone you're lookin at around 70 damage to 2 or 3 guys if they don't save. Even meteor swarm has more to offer.

Hiro
2015-04-06, 04:24 PM
*sighs*

Why not? What's wrong with a PC being made that way? In PF it's only an LA/CR of +2. But I can get why some DM's wouldn't accept it.

Psyren
2015-04-06, 04:31 PM
To some DMs - it's not a problem.
To others - it's a big problem.

They took the conservative approach of siding with the second group, and the first group can use houserules if they really want PC half-dragons (and are willing to accept any unintended side-effects of doing so.)

Necromancy
2015-04-06, 04:32 PM
Because you're trading 2 levels to get what used to take 10 levels of red dragon disciple

Psyren
2015-04-06, 04:34 PM
Because you're trading 2 levels to get what used to take 10 levels of red dragon disciple

(To be fair, RDD isn't exactly a high bar, particularly the 3.5 version.)

Hiro
2015-04-06, 04:36 PM
True enough. Dragon Disciple is a little better option that most DM's won't complain about.

Though with it's a little confusing with it's +7 spellcasting levels but all of it's levels count as it pertains to bloodline powers. I suppose it makes sense on some level.

Sorry for the stupid question guys. >.<

Necromancy
2015-04-06, 04:38 PM
In 3.5, RDD and its prerequisites were practically a tax on optimized melees

Mando Knight
2015-04-06, 04:46 PM
In 3.5, RDD and its prerequisites were practically a tax on optimized melees

What kind of "optimized" melee builds were you making? I can't really see fitting Dragon Disciple into a Cleric or Druid melee build, or into an ubercharger... one level of a 1/2 BAB class and 10 of a 3/4 BAB class for +8 Strength and flight without any real caster progression is pretty bad.

meschlum
2015-04-06, 11:24 PM
Well, if you want to have a spellcaster with a breath weapon, crazy high constitution, a bonus to Strength, natural armor, immunity to your chosen element, and sacrifice a few caster levels to get there (2, to be precise), you can do the following and get a few bonus goodies too (sadly, no flight).

Demonic Vermin Worm that Walks!

You get Strength +4, Dexterity +4, Consitution +6, a line breath weapon that does 1d6 per level every 1d4 rounds, immunity to lightning and one other energy type, minor spell-like abilities, fast healing of at least 14, DR 15/-, Wisdom (or +2) to AC as an insight bonus as well as +2 Natural Armor, swarm immunities (except to mental effects), and the baseline abilities of an eleventh level caster. Put that on a cleric or other combat inclined caster, and you have your nigh indestructible manifestation of an element (except air).