PDA

View Full Version : Writing A Story Based On Randomly Rolled D&D 5E Characters

JNAProductions
2015-04-06, 04:40 PM
Right, so what I'm going to do is I'm going to randomly roll four 5E characters. This means stats, classes, archetypes (they'll be level 4) all the things.

Posted publicly so that way anyone who wants to try optimizing four totally random characters can try.

Stats are 4d6b3

Gender (d2)
1-Male
2-Female

Races (1d9)
1-Dwarf
2-Elf
3-Halfling
4-Human
5-Dragonborn
6-Gnome
7-Half-Elf
8-Half-Orc
9-Tiefling

Classes (1d12)
1-Barbarian
2-Bard
3-Cleric
4-Druid
5-Fighter
6-Monk
7-Paladin
8-Ranger
9-Rogue
10-Sorcerer
11-Warlock
12-Wizard

Backgrounds (1d18)
1-Acolyte
2-Charlatan
3-Criminal
4-Spy
5-Entertainer
6-Gladiator
7-Folk Hero
8-Guild Artisan
9-Merchant
10-Hermit
11-Noble
12-Knight
13-Outlander
14-Sage
15-Sailor
16-Pirate
17-Soldier
18-Urchin

Character 1
Male
Dragonborn
Barbarian
Guild Artisan
Stats: 14, 16, 12, 14, 12, 8

Character 2
Male
Tiefling
Monk
Criminal
Stats: 10, 10, 8, 14, 14, 12

Character 3
Male
Elf
Warlock
Knight
Stats: 14, 10, 14, 11, 10, 14

Character 4
Female
Dragonborn
Bard
Noble
Stats: 15, 16, 11, 15, 12, 17

If anyone wants to build characters for these guys at level 4, I'll use them. If not, I'll start making and posting characters in about an hour or so.

JNAProductions
2015-04-06, 06:47 PM
Steelscale Rhogar
Male Silver Dragonborn Guild Artisan Frenzy Barbarian 4

Strength

Dexterity

Constitution

Intelligence

Wisdom

Charisma

Good gods above, do I have to do this?

Yes

Fine! The large, silver-scaled humanoid sets himself down onto the seat, naked from the waist up except for the greataxe strapped to his back. The things a pretty face can talk me into. I am Steelscale Rhogar, or, for you idiots that don't get how names should work, Rhogar Clan Steelscale.

I grew up a smith. Strong, as a smith should! Tough, dexterous, a paragon of draconic might! Boastful, sure, but I've got a solid-iron battleaxe and a short-temper that both say I get to be.

Guild life, though, wasn't for me. I keep up with my dues (an obligation is an obligation) but I don't associate much with those fops. Some are good folk, 'specially those that value the craft, but far too many are in it for money. Feh, money. What's it good for? Everything I need I can get myself, and what I can't I do without. That being said, don't tell Sora, but... He hunches forward, speaking quietly now. Money is nice for buying pretty girls pretty things. And while my, uh, stature is good for plenty of women, sometimes a girl just needs more, you know? And I like to provide for them. Though if she hears me acting "chauvinistic" again, she'll have my manly parts in a vice, so if word gets back to her, your parts are going to be frozen off.

Now, I suppose you might be wondering why someone like me ended up living the Barbarian lifestyle. Don't know why everyone feels the need to stress "Barbarian" so much, but have it your way. I might've... Well, I'm not proud of it, but... No. No, I I'm not telling you. Who the hell are you? I don't know you! Get the hell out my way! He abruptly stands up and rushes past, hands visibly tight on his axe.

The hell did you make me do that for, you- he shouts from outside.

You tried talking about when you killed your father, didn't you?

SHUT THE HELL UP! SHUT THE HELL UP BEFORE I BASH YOUR BRAINS-

Pacifus! (Calm Emotions)

You used your magic?

Yes.

I needed that. I'm sorry. I'll... I'll just go, then.

Don't ask exactly where this is taking place. This is just kind of an introduction in a vacuum.

And that's one character down. Next up is the Tiefling Monk. (Note: the Dragonborn Bard's given name is Sora.)

T.G. Oskar
2015-04-06, 09:10 PM
Races (1d9)
1-Dwarf
2-Elf
3-Halfling
4-Human
5-Dragonborn
6-Gnome
7-Half-Elf
8-Half-Orc
9-Tiefling

Shouldn't it be d12?

Races (1d12)
1-Dwarf (1d2: 1 - Mountain, 2 - Hill)
2-Elf (1d4: 1 - High Elf, 2 - Wood Elf, 3 - Drow, 4 - Eladrin)
3-Halfling (1d2: 1 - Lightfoot, 2 - Stout)
4-Human (1d2: 1 - Baseline, 2 - Variant)
5-Dragonborn
6-Gnome (1d3: 1 - Forest, 2 - Rock/Tinker, 3 - Deep)
7-Half-Elf
8-Half-Orc
9-Tiefling
10 - Aarakocra
11 - Genasi (1d4: 1 - Air, 2 - Earth, 3 - Fire, 4 - Water)
12 - Goliath

...need to find a way to get the Aasimar in as well. Maybe as a replacement to the Aarakocra?

JNAProductions
2015-04-06, 09:29 PM
I'm working off books I own.

Speaking of which, might as well get down to the nitty-gritty and write/stat up Mr. Amnon Agosto.

Amnon Agosto
Male Tiefling Criminal Shadow Monk

Strength

Dexterity

Constitution

Intelligence

Wisdom

Dexterity

A short man, with long spiraling horns coming from his firey-red skinned forehead comes in, staying standing just behind the chair.I'm not a talker. I'm a doer. I did things in the past and I don't regret them, but I'm sure as hell not telling you. What I do now is good enough to keep me out of hell, so I'm set. Now do me a favor, and get out.

Amnon, as he stated, isn't much of a talker. He'll have a bigger impact in non-talky scenes, which these intros are the opposite of.

Also, Oskar, feel free to critique/comment on the intro scenes. I'm looking at using these guys in a bigger story, so I need to make sure they're actually interesting and well-written. 'Specially, so far, Amnon. It doesn't make sense for him to on at length, but I do hope you can at least start to get a feel for him.

FightStyles
2015-04-07, 07:58 AM
Where was the Steelscale Rhogar scene taking place?

JNAProductions
2015-04-07, 08:02 AM
Hell if I know. These introductions are sort of in a vacuum-completely out of continuity, just there to give an impression of the characters.

Joe the Rat
2015-04-07, 08:13 AM
Reads like a bar. It seems to be a recurring theme for rough-and-tumble fighters narrating their stories to some unnamed bard or scribe in a bar.

At least I'd used it before for one of my fighters. That's two! One more, and we have a pattern!

Are you just going to go stat increases, or is that just where you've gone to round out the wonky rolled attributes on these two?

JNAProductions
2015-04-07, 08:18 AM
I'm following the rules. Each person has spent their level 4 ASI appropiately.

And actually, perhaps it takes place in a meeting room of an adventuring cohort, which they are trying to join in. That might make some sense.

T.G. Oskar
2015-04-09, 09:17 PM
I'm working off books I own.

The Aarakocra, Goliath and Genasi, as well as the Deep Gnome subrace, are part of the Elemental Evil Player's Companion which is free to download from the Wizards page. That's no "book", but rather a free supplement anyone can use and get.

The Eladrin subtype for Elves and the Aasimar race are part of the excerpts from the Dungeon Master's Guide, which is somewhat harder to find but nonetheless also available free online. The Aasimar is incomplete, but the Eladrin is pretty much complete, so it's not like you don't have an excuse to add them.

That said: Ammon seems a bit...off. Sure, he's no talker, but the character begs to be laconic and a deadpan snarker. He sounds a bit too cocky from his introduction. Rather than play on the "cool and mysterious" guy, best would be to set an example. Something like "last person to ask the question [had X thing happen]. I wouldn't keep talking if I were you", where the thing that happened can be mundane ("had its tongue...and now it doesn't") or supernatural ("got to experience the cold of shadows and the warmth of hell"). That sets him up as a really dangerous guy, because he sends the message loud and clear, with little words. He might not be extremely smart, but he's average smart, and his Wisdom high enough to make his few words have some impact.

Ralanr
2015-04-09, 09:43 PM
I'm following the rules. Each person has spent their level 4 ASI appropiately.

And actually, perhaps it takes place in a meeting room of an adventuring cohort, which they are trying to join in. That might make some sense.

So interviewing for an adventurer guild?