PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Building a Divine Tracker

13ones
2015-04-06, 05:00 PM
So I've always liked Ranged damage classes. I've played a Ranger before but the Beast Master style that had a bad ass pet and used it as a mount more than anything else. But theDivine Tracker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/divine-tracker) is a bit of a different style of Ranger to that one. One that really caught my intrest. While my Bad-ass T-rex was a great friend for my last ranger I did find it a rather huge liability and more of a speed bump than a real threat.

So I've decied to build a Divine Tracker and I'm looking for someone to look over my feat selection, blessing selection, and general build idea to maybe suggest some alternatives.

NG Tiefling Ranger

Starting Stats:
STR- 12
DEX- 20
CON- 14
INT- 10
WIS- 14
CHA- 6

Feats:
1- Point-Blank Shot
2[Combat Style]- Rapid Shot
3- Precise Shot
5- Deadly Aim
6[Combat Style]- Point Blank Master(Longbow)
7- Weapon Focus Longbow
9- Combat Reflexes
10[Combat Style]- Improved Precise Shot
11- Snapshot
13- Quicken Blessing{Minor Destruction}
14[Combat Style]- Many shot
15- Clustered Shot
17- Improved Snapshot
18[Combat Style]- Shot on the Run
19- Favored Defence

Blessings:
Destruction - Destructive Attacks (minor): At 1st level, you can touch an ally and bless it with the power of destruction. For 1 minute, the ally gains a morale bonus on weapon damage rolls equal to half your level (minimum 1).

Heart of Carnage (major): At 10th level, you can touch an ally and bless it with even greater destructive power. For 1 minute, the ally gains a +4 insight bonus on attack rolls made to confirm critical hits and has a 50% chance to treat any critical hit or sneak attack against it as a normal hit.

Liberation - Liberation (minor): At 1st level, for 1 round as a swift action, you can ignore impediments to your mobility and effects that cause paralysis (as freedom of movement). You can activate this blessing even if you're otherwise unable to take actions, but not if you're unconscious.

Freedom's Shout (major): At 10th level, as a swift action you can emit a 30-foot aura that affects all allies with the liberation blessing described above. This effect lasts for 1 round.

The General idea is to have a high to hit, sitting at the far end of the room and peppering them with as many arrows as possible. Since the Destruction blessing doesn't overlap with any other standard ranger buffs to damage it's a great way to get anywhere from 1-10 extra points of damage per arrow. While his Strength is low I've got an idea to always have a Bull's Strength potion on hand with an adaptable composite long bow. The Liberation blessing is for if I get grappled, and its a swift which rangers don't tend to have a huge use for without an Animal Companion. For example with the swift blessing feat I can swift action activate my minor destruction blessing and then instantly full attack with the blessing.

With Gravity Bow up, Destruction, Composite bow damage, favoured enemy, deadly aim and the such it just piles on the damage higher and higher which is what I was looking to do. I just want to make the most dangerous ranged damage dealer I could think of and this was the best way for me to do that.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Oh, and I also plan to drop a few thousand gold when I find a wizard high enought to get permancy True Sight.

Psyren
2015-04-06, 05:33 PM
Yeah, it's a decent archetype and you chose good blessings.

I recommend an item to see invisible things with (e.g. Mask of the Mantis) rather than getting the spell made permanent on you. Permanencied spells can be dispelled, and you won't get that money back; at least if an item is suppressed, it will work again before too long. When your level is high enough you can consider switching to the more expensive truesight goggles to defeat illusions with if you so choose.

13ones
2015-04-06, 05:50 PM
I'm stuck using a lot of the primary material. That means the Inner-sea stuff is generally not allowed, or only allowed so long as I'm not caught. It's generally considered over powered for what you get and I'm of a mind to agree. Spending the money on the permancy isn't a horrible idea as its only a few thousand more and has a much longer time of use.

Glad I chose good blessings. I was worried that Destruction wouldn't be as powerful as some of the others, such as Good or one of the Elemental ones, but I like the fact its not bound to a particular type of damage and only has the coniditon of being activated.

I'm torn on combat reflexes and snapshot. I know it can be powerful but I'm thinking those slots can be better put to use. Are there any suggestions for that?

Psyren
2015-04-06, 07:07 PM
I'm stuck using a lot of the primary material. That means the Inner-sea stuff is generally not allowed, or only allowed so long as I'm not caught. It's generally considered over powered for what you get and I'm of a mind to agree. Spending the money on the permancy isn't a horrible idea as its only a few thousand more and has a much longer time of use.

Having to potentially replace it after every dispel (including area dispels) is going to be a pain though when you can't do that yourself.

I'm torn on combat reflexes and snapshot. I know it can be powerful but I'm thinking those slots can be better put to use. Are there any suggestions for that?

I wouldn't bother personally - you aren't a rogue so you get very little extra for "flanking" with your bow, and you generally don't want to be close enough to melee to threaten anyone with Snap Shot. Point Blank Master is for emergencies and tight quarters, not for encouraging you to stand around near the melee so you can threaten things.

I'd probably go for something like Improved Called Shot instead so you can add painful debuffs onto your attacks. A lot of the effects either have no save or a partial save.